Rut report

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

beddedbuck

Rut report

Unread postby beddedbuck » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:56 pm

I’m flying into Wisconsin from south Florida next weekend, November 3rd, for my annual bow hunting trip with dad and brother. I’m getting super excited and wondering what kind of rut action is everyone seeing out there. We are hunting farm country in Waupaca county. My brother hunted part of the property tonight and saw a 3 year old 10 pointer chasing a doe on the outside a bedding area almost 2 hours before sunset. Anyone else seeing activity and if so where abouts are you located? Thanks in advance and good luck to all!

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Rut report

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:28 am

Imo the 3rd is really good timing for the rut. You’ll do just fine in wapaca
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:40 am

Yes it always seems that first and second weekend in November for central Wisconsin are hot. It sounds like rutting activity has started a little early this year though.
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:48 am

We have had quite a bit of buck activity on our wireless trail camera in the past few days, still mostly throughout the night or at dawn and dusk. Anyone else getting any daytime buck movement? 5 day until my rutcation starts and I am pumped!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:03 am

beddedbuck wrote:We have had quite a bit of buck activity on our wireless trail camera in the past few days, still mostly throughout the night or at dawn and dusk. Anyone else getting any daytime buck movement? 5 day until my rutcation starts and I am pumped!

Some very recent trail cam footage shows good doe movement in daylight, but all the buck is still at night. Just had a spike run through my yard at lunchtime, so I’m thinking it’s going to start picking up around the does before dark, at least here in higher-pressure SE WI. Bedding areas are still key if you can find them.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:30 am

Seeing some smaller bucks pushing around does that aren't ready yet. mainly 2.5yr olds right now. Typically on the properties I hunt the mature deer don't start showing up until Halloween/first week Nov. We do have a good amount of mature does hanging around, it's only a matter of time. any day now it could pop
Weezy

Unread postby Weezy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Very quiet here in northern Michigan, all deer seem to be moving at night. What scrapes I have found are cold.
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Saw a massive body buck approaching a doe in an open field today at 7:20am. The deer there get no pressure though. The county does open the park across the street after gun for a special archery hunt but due to dog walkers and the hikers I can’t imagine it would be successful. I grew up next to that park and know where all the does bed and it’s in the restricted area of the park when the hunt is going on. This is in Waukesha County
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:27 pm

I drove from Twin Cities to Eau Claire today. Saw 5 dead bucks in east bound side of 94 that were fresh with a nice 10 being one. I do this drive every other week and this trip the road kill really picked up in bucks....so that my rut report!! :? 8-) :? :?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:47 pm

Autiger wrote:Saw a massive body buck approaching a doe in an open field today at 7:20am. The deer there get no pressure though... This is in Waukesha County

Just of Hwy C... :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:51 pm

I went shining tonight and deer were out everywhere. Didn’t see any real big bucks which I thought was odd. Biggest was about a 110” 8 pt. Smaller bucks were moving like crazy and harassing does and fawns. Hopefully it’s the calm before the storm for the big boys. Things should start really cranking up the next few days.
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:44 am

muskieman wrote:I drove from Twin Cities to Eau Claire today. Saw 5 dead bucks in east bound side of 94 that were fresh with a nice 10 being one. I do this drive every other week and this trip the road kill really picked up in bucks....so that my rut report!! :? 8-) :? :?

Roadkill was always the best indicator for rutting activity I think. I used to always keep an eye for roadkill when driving North from the Twin Cities to NW WI. Right now thru the high single digits of November have always been the most active from what I have seen
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:05 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Autiger wrote:Saw a massive body buck approaching a doe in an open field today at 7:20am. The deer there get no pressure though... This is in Waukesha County

Just of Hwy C... :lol:

That it is!!
Paca

Unread postby Paca » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:56 pm

Over the next few days the ruts gonna be in full swing. I almost hit a 3 year old looking ten pointer yesterday afternoon. He was behind a doe. Seen another decent looking buck dart in front of me on my drive late last night as well.
Do you own land or rent? I own 2 properties in the north west corner of the county and lease another 100 acres.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:16 am

I was in Central Illinois last weekend and didn't see much going on. A few rubs and scraps but that was it. Heading back down on Sunday for a week and because of that, little work will be don't this week. For where I'm at, I honestly think November 7th is usually the day that kicks it off, maybe give or take a day. By the looks of the weather, a cold front comes in Wednesday and the rain moves out, just happens to be on the 7th.

Was heading to a clients yesterday outside of Chicago and had a doe and fawn jump in front of me at 10A looking like a something was pushing them.

My cellular camera in Northern Illinois has picked up 6 different bucks in the last week that hadn't been on the camera this year. All night time pictures but they are starting to move a lot more. I think it's close to to kicking off here soon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”