Hill Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dressedtokill

Hill Country

Unread postby Dressedtokill » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:32 pm

I am doing my first diy hunt in Ohio this year in what looks like to be a lot of hills. Never set foot on any of this land have had some friends going up there the past couple years. Couple questions will the mature bucks use the swamps/marshs that are in the hills for bedding or do they prefer the points? Also never hunted much hill country any pointers would help thanks j

" Better to try something and fail than not to try at all. In due time you too shall reap the rewards"
Jdw
500 Club

Re: Hill Country

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:43 pm

I see bedding in the marsh and on the points. One may be better than the other but you will need boots on the ground to figure it out.
Dressedtokill

Unread postby Dressedtokill » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:13 pm

I have four days to hunt which isn’t very long but going to scout with my saddle and bow first day and try to find hot sign
" Better to try something and fail than not to try at all. In due time you too shall reap the rewards"
HuntingInWI

Unread postby HuntingInWI » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Once I started hunting the top 1/4 side of leeward hills with the wind in my favor I started seeing better bucks. Good luck.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:08 pm

Jdw wrote:I see bedding in the marsh and on the points. One may be better than the other but you will need boots on the ground to figure it out.

X2. Good luck.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:17 pm

I’ve found that when there is too much pressure in the hills, they go where people don’t wanna go....the wet and thick stuff. The kettle moraine state forest in WI is a prime example. Horse/walking/snowmobile/xcountry trials all over the hills= deer in swamps and river bottom terrain. This might be something to think about if you’re not getting the action you want in the hills, on your trip.
Dressedtokill

Unread postby Dressedtokill » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:14 am

Thanks guys! So if the hill is facing south you would hunt it on a north wind? With the wind blowing over the top down the south facing hill?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:34 am

Dressedtokill wrote:Thanks guys! So if the hill is facing south you would hunt it on a north wind? With the wind blowing over the top down the south facing hill?

Yes
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:50 am

Top 1/3 Leeward side with feature changes (secondary points, draws, saddles) and thick cover on top is money for bedding and cruising.
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:51 am

Tempy wrote:Top 1/3 Leeward side with feature changes (secondary points, draws, saddles) and thick cover on top is money for bedding and cruising.

Almost forgot...

Most importantly, away from human intrusion

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”