If You Were To Wing It...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rampaige

If You Were To Wing It...

Unread postby Rampaige » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:50 am

In attempt to not burn out my normal spots, I'm going to do a scout and hang and hunt trip this afternoon. This is a public land spot that I have never hunted or scouted. If you were to wing it here, what spots would you focus on first and why? It's just about all timber/hardwoods with a few conifer pockets. I'll be accessing via the "Wyassup Road". I took a ride after my morning hunt and tried to plan access from the East but its locked up with private land. Wind is NNW 7MPH, partly cloudy, 50 degrees, expected to be about 46 by sunset.

EdC

Re: If You Were To Wing It...

Unread postby EdC » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:04 am

with the information you gave I would be checking out those points adjacent to the swamp at top right
in addition if you have access to satellite info I would be looking for deer trails if they show
otherwise I would be walking the transition line and also investigate that saddle between the two swamps
it's the most obvious area for me in the topo
just my 2cents
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:10 am

Complete shot in the dark, but this is what I would do. Yellow is your access and stand. Red is suspected bed and exit routes. There is also some good looking stuff in the NW corner where the hills and swamp meet. Looks like easy access through most of it, so swamp may end up being the better bedding.

westbound

Unread postby westbound » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:00 am

I would approach the hunt as an in-season scouting expedition and focus more on learning the property than hanging a stand. My destination would be the 2 or 3 peninsulas in the swamp at the northeast corner of the map. Worst case scenario you could do an observation sit from the edge of the swamp if you run out of time before finding the right tree.
Rampaige

Unread postby Rampaige » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 am

westbound wrote:I would approach the hunt as an in-season scouting expedition and focus more on learning the property than hanging a stand. My destination would be the 2 or 3 peninsulas in the swamp at the northeast corner of the map. Worst case scenario you could do an observation sit from the edge of the swamp if you run out of time before finding the right tree.

This is what I did for most part. I found a bed on the tiny island just to the west of those fingers. It was so incredibly thick I would have to wait in the bed in order to get a shot. I then walked over to the saddle between the two swamps on the east side. On my way there I found doe bedding on the round ridge top between the west and east swamps. Other than that I didnt really find any sign that looked promising. There’s a dirt road from the parking lot right to the two swamps on the east and I saw very little sign. I walked out even though there’s only an hour left of light.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”