Wind Opposite Forecast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rampaige

Wind Opposite Forecast

Unread postby Rampaige » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:20 am

I have a few spots I hunt where the wind always seems to be opposite the forecast and downright unpredictable. Its not real hilly, mostly hardwoods and hardwood swamps. The predominant wind in my area is W. All the weather sites predict a NW wind but its blowing E/ESE. At sunset sometimes settles out and blows true to forecast but for the most part its just the wrong wind. What's worse is it'll blow out of the NW just long enough for me to get to my stand, and then shift out of the SE and blow right towards the bed. Then I move several hundred yards to a new location, and it shifts again and blows right towards the new bed. I know if I keep doing this I'll bump the buck(s) out of the area, but I can't seem to get a consistent wind.

Rampaige

Re: Wind Opposite Forecast

Unread postby Rampaige » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:49 pm

I’m still looking for insight on this but maybe it’ll help if I rephrase my question. When the wind is shifty, for example constantly back and forth between NW for 30 seconds, then SE for 30 sec and so forth for a good portion of the afternoon, where would you expect bucks to bed. There’s no true leeward. Or take my forecast for today for example: NW/WNW winds currently, but there’s a Nor’Easter coming over night and the wind is going to change to E for the afternoon. Should I expect bucks to be moving around mid day while they move bedding locations due to the wind change?
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:00 am

Possibly bedding on knobs or more likely, rotating around points with varying winds. Are you hunting up high or down low? I hunt a lot of hilly terrain (Appalachians) and tend to get more consistent winds higher up on ridges. Depending on how hard it's blowing, thermals might be your bigger concern.
Rampaige

Unread postby Rampaige » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:11 am

I hunt high and low. It’s not as hilly as the Appalachians but there are rolling small hills around. Mostly 150-300’. I’ve been able to find a few spots where the wind is somewhat consistent. And the wind almost always gives way to the forecast about an hour before sunset.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”