Beating swirling winds in bottom (flat terrain)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

Beating swirling winds in bottom (flat terrain)

Unread postby JonNc » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:02 pm

I did some scouting today after my hunt, and found a spot that had the most sign of any spot I've ever seen. I saw 25+ rubs and 10+ scrapes in a small area and some rubs were really tall. This is very flat terrain, but I knew I had to scout the low spots because I've heard they like the low spots when terrain is mostly flat. There's a small creek that flows through here and it's a small patch of hardwoods surrounded by mostly pines, clearcuts, and a powerline. Bedding potential is literally everywhere, so I'm focusing on where they travel.

I'm going back to this spot in 2 weeks (4 hrs away) when it should be peak rut. I'm thinking about sitting this spot and similar spots for most of my 3 day weekend. I'm thinking the risk of getting winded might be worth it considering so much big buck and doe sign even though I'll technically be hunting the lower topography. I know this spot gets zero human pressure. Any feedback on how to get away with hunting the low spots in flat terrain without getting winded?

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Beating swirling winds in bottom (flat terrain)

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:53 pm

stay back from openings in the canopy sit where all the trees are same height. setup with wind cutting across large open areas. i had t setup like that tonight i setup on down wind side of a big bull rush swamp where a couple trails met together. had a beach tree with five scrapes under it and about 20 rubs. the wind was between 10 to 15 mph all afternoon. what happened is the winds would rip across the open grass then hit the tree line on the edge and make a big wind tunnel off the edge cover making a real good place for a big buck too travel. i had to setup about 40 yards in too get out of the vacuum that wind was creating. so bring a lot of milk weed on your trip and use it constantly as you walk you just might find the same wind tunnel i look for during cruising time.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: Beating swirling winds in bottom (flat terrain)

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:59 pm

I’d hunt it with a high wind to prevent your falling thermals from pooling in there. That or on a low wind day I’d try skirting the edge if possible and see where they’re exiting.

These are just guesses, I’d let your scouting and milkweed but the ultimate deciding factor though. Good luck it sounds like a jam up spot
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”