How Should I Hunt This Pinch?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nelson87
500 Club

How Should I Hunt This Pinch?

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 am

This is a piece I just got permission to hunt this past summer, so no previous knowledge or post season scouting. It's lightly hunted private, by that I mean other than me, 1 guy has sat a permanent stand twice this year so far. In looking at maps this pinch is a textbook "field corner meets creek bend" pinch, which caught my attention right away, and I think with no more pressure than this property gets it might produce.

Couple shots of it

Topo lines only, shows the creek better. Ingore the yellow dot.

I checked it out in late Aug.and found that higher on the hill just off the field had thicker cover and it opened up partway down. I found a number of old rubs but although I found several depressions I thought might be beds, none of them had been used recently. I did find 2 trails that came close together, kind of like an hourglass, so I hung a camera between them hoping to cover them both.

Yesterday we had very high winds from the NW and I had about an hour in the afternoon so I slipped in through the creek to check my camera. Since it is located right between the trails I did not walk around much, but I noticed no new rubs or beds close by. Activity on my camera was pretty slow at first, like I expected, but has really picked up in the last week or so. Nothing big yet, mostly does traveling in groups and mostly mornings anywhere from 30 min to 1.5 hours after daylight also a number of midday doe pics, which makes me think they're bedding close by. Did have a small buck cruising thru 30 minutes after the does Fri. morning.

I stood there a while scratching my head as to how to best hunt this spot. I think my best chance is where the trails are closest together since that spot offers the best shooting lanes, and would give me a shot to both trails. There's a fallen tree right there too, which is what pinches the trails tight together.

I'm thinking about access and thermals.

I can't really come in from the top without walking across the open field to the southwest, and any westerly wind would blow my scent onto the ridge to the south of the pinch. And dropping thermals would be a problem early and late in the day.

I love using creeks to access, but to hunt above the trails to catch the rising daytime thermals I'd have to cross the trails. And being right off the corner of the field, once the leaves drop I wouldn't have much cover up in a tree.

Speaking of thermals.

If I hunt on the ground right along the creek will the daytime thermals carry my scent up the hill, or is there a chance they would flow with the creek? The creek is not fast flowing, mostly deeper pools with slow riffles. There is a double trunked tree right on the creek I could hide behind and shoot uphill between the trunks. Leaning a few branches up would make a decent hide, I think, and would give me about a 23 yard shot.

The yellow line is where the deer would cross, and above the red arrow you can see the limbs of the fallen tree the deer skirt, also the tree I would likely climb if I hunt above.

One thought I had is to walk the creek in and hunt low in the morning, then if the thermals begin pulling uphill I could move high and cross the trails at a spot I can shoot to, but I've had several rutting bucks react to my ground scent, so that's likely not the best idea if I want to hunt it multiple times.

Ideally I would let my camera soak all season then use that info next year, but there's no guarentee I can hunt here next season. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm trying to get the odds in my favor instead of just blundering in.

Thank you for your patience if you made it this far.Hope I didn't lose you in my rambling. :lol: What say you fellow beasts? How would you tackle this spot?

Cuzzinfish

Re: How Should I Hunt This Pinch?

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:54 am

Looks like a rut cruising spot and doe bedding spot based on your write up and maps. Without any other info, I’d go in through the field after sunrise and hunt the edge above the trails where they bottleneck during the rut. Would probably be a good midday stand.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Biggest thing with a pinch is learning when it's hot and exactly what conditions u need. If u jump the gun b4 it's ripe for the Pickens they will avoid it like the plague. First pics will be at night while there setting up there runs usually, if they smell danger during this time, it ain't good. IMO the key is let them set up there routes then strike when the skillet is hot for daytime movement.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:33 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Biggest thing with a pinch is learning when it's hot and exactly what conditions u need. If u jump the gun b4 it's ripe for the Pickens they will avoid it like the plague. First pics will be at night while there setting up there runs usually, if they smell danger during this time, it ain't good. IMO the key is let them set up there routes then strike when the skillet is hot for daytime movement.

Agreed
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Cuzzinfish wrote:Looks like a rut cruising spot and doe bedding spot based on your write up and maps. Without any other info, I’d go in through the field after sunrise and hunt the edge above the trails where they bottleneck during the rut. Would probably be a good midday stand.

This may be my best bet, but I was thinking I should hunt it on a westerly wind, and my access would be from the south across the field which would blow my scent onto the ridge running the length of the field, which is thick enough to have bedding.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:45 pm

burkhart wrote:If u can walk that creek and enter on the left side of that point u could be in business

Sorry, but I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you suggesting I enter where the creek makes the first bend?

I prefer to walk the creek, for sure, but in order to get above the trails I'd have to cross them at some point. I'm trying to learn more about thermals and whether I need to be high to beat the daytime thermals or whether they would follow the creek if I stay low.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:00 pm

hunter10 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Biggest thing with a pinch is learning when it's hot and exactly what conditions u need. If u jump the gun b4 it's ripe for the Pickens they will avoid it like the plague. First pics will be at night while there setting up there runs usually, if they smell danger during this time, it ain't good. IMO the key is let them set up there routes then strike when the skillet is hot for daytime movement.

Agreed

History with this spot is something I don't have. Ideally I would let a camera soak there for next year, but I have no idea if I'll be able to hunt it after this year. Doe activity is definetly ramping up, so I may ease in there after a bit and see if I can glass any fresh rubs from the creek. Probably sit it a few times and see what happens. A cell cam would be nice in this situation. :think:
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:01 pm

burkhart wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:
burkhart wrote:If u can walk that creek and enter on the left side of that point u could be in business

Sorry, but I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you suggesting I enter where the creek makes the first bend?

I prefer to walk the creek, for sure, but in order to get above the trails I'd have to cross them at some point. I'm trying to learn more about thermals and whether I need to be high to beat the daytime thermals or whether they would follow the creek if I stay low.

Sorry right side or east side of the point... looks like that creek will get you in the business

Gotcha.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:08 pm

Nelson87 wrote:
hunter10 wrote:

Agreed

History with this spot is something I don't have. Ideally I would let a camera soak there for next year, but I have no idea if I'll be able to hunt it after this year. Doe activity is definetly ramping up, so I may ease in there after a bit and see if I can glass any fresh rubs from the creek. Probably sit it a few times and see what happens. A cell cam would be nice in this situation. :think:

In that case, I would deff sit it, no need to do abunch of homework and miss out on even getting to hunt it next year. In situations like that I've always had better luck putting all my chips on the table and hunting it for 3 to five days straight. Versus a time or 2 this week , then afew times the week after and so on. Good luck, looks like a good spot.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:27 pm

I'd worry about the thermals and not crossing deer trails.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:20 am

Nelson87 wrote:
Cuzzinfish wrote:Looks like a rut cruising spot and doe bedding spot based on your write up and maps. Without any other info, I’d go in through the field after sunrise and hunt the edge above the trails where they bottleneck during the rut. Would probably be a good midday stand.

This may be my best bet, but I was thinking I should hunt it on a westerly wind, and my access would be from the south across the field which would blow my scent onto the ridge running the length of the field, which is thick enough to have bedding.

As long as the wind isn’t blowing into the doe bedding, you should be ok for entry. Depending on how high you can get in a tree above those trails, any sort of high pressure and west wind day should be fine as a steady 8-10 mph wind or better should blow your scent right over the trails below you which means a cruising buck shouldn’t be able to smell you. Low pressure and gusty winds or light winds might let your scent fall after it passes the tree line below during moments when the wind dies and get sucked back up by daily thermals, but I wouldn’t say that’s likely.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:29 am

Personally, I wouldn't enter from the bottom. Every deer on that ridge is going to spot you coming in, plus when they cross your trail from where you went up the hill they most likely will get out of there when they smell you. That's just me though.

I have spots like this and approach from the top. I would wait for a SW wind and walk directly in from the SW so that my scent doesn't hit the whole ridge. Then when the sun comes up, thermals will rise and nothing below you or behind you will be any the wiser.

I know you said you might not be able to hunt there next year but I'd see if there was a spot I could hang a cameras somewhere in that pinch just in case. I have a few cameras in pinches like this that I don't check all year or maybe once. It's given me a lot of information, both when the bucks start to really cruise as well as what wind they use this pinch points the most. Mine do usually connect doe bedding areas so they are scent checking those most of the time.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:25 am

Cuzzinfish wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:

As long as the wind isn’t blowing into the doe bedding, you should be ok for entry. Depending on how high you can get in a tree above those trails, any sort of high pressure and west wind day should be fine as a steady 8-10 mph wind or better should blow your scent right over the trails below you which means a cruising buck shouldn’t be able to smell you. Low pressure and gusty winds or light winds might let your scent fall after it passes the tree line below during moments when the wind dies and get sucked back up by daily thermals, but I wouldn’t say that’s likely.

I think I get what you're saying. My first thought was that that by coming in from the south, any westerly wind would blow my scent onto the ridge on the east side of the field, but I think you're basically saying the same thing bigb is, which, after thinking about it, makes total sense. Southwest winds are not uncommon here in early Nov, and are usually on sunny high pressure days, which would work to my advantage like you mention. The downside is temps will likely be warmer on those days.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:37 am

Bigb wrote:Personally, I wouldn't enter from the bottom. Every deer on that ridge is going to spot you coming in, plus when they cross your trail from where you went up the hill they most likely will get out of there when they smell you. That's just me though.

I have spots like this and approach from the top. I would wait for a SW wind and walk directly in from the SW so that my scent doesn't hit the whole ridge. Then when the sun comes up, thermals will rise and nothing below you or behind you will be any the wiser.

I know you said you might not be able to hunt there next year but I'd see if there was a spot I could hang a cameras somewhere in that pinch just in case. I have a few cameras in pinches like this that I don't check all year or maybe once. It's given me a lot of information, both when the bucks start to really cruise as well as what wind they use this pinch points the most. Mine do usually connect doe bedding areas so they are scent checking those most of the time.

Makes total sense, I think this is what I'll plan on. One thing I should have mentioned, the field to the SW belongs to the neighbor, but I talked with him just a few minutes ago and he has no problem with me crossing it so I should be in business.

I do have a camera there and plan to leave it all season, just in case I can hunt it in future years. This pinch connects a big block of timber 500 yards to the west with the ridge to the south of the pinch itsself, and also there is a thick creekbottom across the road to the east and a bunch more timber.

Thanks a lot guys, this really helps me out. I'm looking forward to hunting this spot.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 am

My opinion based off more info, is I would absolutely enter from the bottom under rut conditions. Would enter from the lowest spot while thermals are dropping under the cover of darkness. Set up on the skinniest part of the pinch closest to the drainage on leeward side of ridge. Would get high enough where any possible dead wind thermal would drift over a cruiser. In my area 9 to 1 is where u catch the cruisers between doe bedding anyway. Only real major player in this scenario is the doe groups age class and when they are droppin it like its hot. Live and learn and go with your gut. Also, my opinion is the more the wind is wrong for u the better the chances are of a good buck taking the route
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”