Timing question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RileyRezner
Facebook: Riley Rezner

Timing question

Unread postby RileyRezner » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:58 pm

I had a cool hunt this evening with a buck I'm pretty sure is mature. I'm hunting a transition from a huge soft boggy ground clear cut to a hardwood creek bottom . To my east it branches out into the clear cut (north and south) and runs east and west behind me. I'm hunting In some real thick stuff between suspected buck bedding 50 yards to my east and another 50 or so to my north. I crept in parallel to the bottom that fingers out untill I came to were the transition lines intersect and there were two small scrapes and the licking branches were mangled up with huge sets of tracks like I have seen on the far side of this bottom during last years rut. Only thing is down this far south we do not see pre rutting action untill mid December usually. It is still in the mid 80s here. So by this point I set up on the scrapes between two suspected bedding areas one to my north and one to my east. With a north wind. Well about 10 minutes till dark I hear him get up and head my way from the east such thick cover I never got my eyes on him but he was close within bow range. He got down wind of his scrapes (and me) stopped for 2-3 minutes. Wheezed and ran back tward his bed. I realized I goofed but the scrapes were where I was planning on setting up. I'm wondering if I should go back tweak my set up and try to hunt this buck again?in a few days?? Weeks? Should I sit on the ground even anticipating him circling down wind of his scrapes? Thank you for any input.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”