Public spots and etiquette

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Public spots and etiquette

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:42 am

What do people do if a relatively limited size of public has a vehicle parked in a small lot?

Hunted a place Friday. Promising. Went Sat and Sun, earlier each time, and the same truck was there, with one extra car jammed in on Sun.

Do folks go in anyway, or leave it be if someone is there? I left, not wanting to disturb someone, but I wonder if I do that, will I ever get into the woods?

I found what I hope to be one of the overlooked areas, but there might not be anything in it. But at least no cars. :D

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Public spots and etiquette

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 am

Make it a mission to find more land (spots) this off season. Heck even now if you can.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:27 am

Really depends on the area. I've never walked in on another hunter that was right where I wanted to be, so sometimes I'll hunt a different area and sometimes I'll hunt where all the cars are parked.

Some guys setup right near the main access trail, so you have to walk past them to get where you want to go. I walked right past another hunter during gun season one year, he was hunting the trail that led to hundreds of acres so I had no choice.
westbound

Unread postby westbound » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:35 am

Do you think the other person is hunting the same spot you have in mind? If you suspect your spot is still unoccupied, I'd hunt it unless you don't think you can access it without ruining his hunt. When someone else is there first, those are the two factors I weigh before going in. I like to have at least 2 spots per property, that way if one is taken I can still hunt the other one. A lot of times I don't have time to drive to another access point or property and still get to my stand location on time.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:43 am

I try my best to not disturb others on public land. I understand everyone has the same right to be there but its just common courtesy. If its a small parcel, I would just hunt elsewhere. If its a bigger area and theres a car or 2 in the parking area I would still hunt it as long as you thought you were not gonna be close to where other people hunt.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:47 am

westbound wrote:Do you think the other person is hunting the same spot you have in mind? If you suspect your spot is still unoccupied, I'd hunt it unless you don't think you can access it without ruining his hunt. When someone else is there first, those are the two factors I weigh before going in. I like to have at least 2 spots per property, that way if one is taken I can still hunt the other one. A lot of times I don't have time to drive to another access point or property and still get to my stand location on time.

This.

Public is first come first serve. I always try to ensure I have multiple spots at each location.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:50 am

If the same vehicle keeps parking there. He's either seeing something good. Or just only has one spot he's over hunting. I would slip in quiet some night, and see if he's in your spot. If so back out, then at least you know. If not hunt it, and maybe his pressure will help you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:54 am

I avoid that situation because I’m almost always there way before anybody else so rarely have an problems. Don’t even know if anybody parks near me and walks in because I’m usually the last one out to. I always have a plan B and plan C just in case so if somebody is there when I arrive I just move onto my other options rather than walk in on them unless it’s a huge area with a lot of access points. My goal is to always find unpressured deer so I avoid areas where I see a lot of hunter activity.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 am

Not sure I'm understanding correctly. What do u do if there's a car in the parking lot? My best guess is give it your best shot and don't let him see u drag it out if u get one. If u feel u r at a disadvantage come to a state with 1% public land where there's more cars parked daily than acres. Think u would have a diff perspective lol. IMO opinion the only thing that matters is finding a spot the others overlooked. The smaller the parcel and the more access points there are the harder it is. But when it comes down to the nitty gritty all u can do is the best u can with the hand u r dealt!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Some guys park at the same spot everytime, no matter what. They aren't hunting so much as getting away from the wife. 8-)
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Really depends on what size the public is, access points from that parking spot, etc. Can you park there, walk down the road, and access a section guys are overlooking or might bump deer to you?

You do that enough times and harvest a few does, they’ll get frustrated and not show up next year.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Depends on the size of the piece, and the number of parking areas. If there is a lot of acreage and few places to park, I don't worry about it. But If the piece is too small for multiple people, I would probably go elsewhere.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:58 pm

A lot of areas near me are so heavily pressured you almost always have a car in a parking lot. I have overlooked areas as well that I rarely see a car too but honestly I just go about it as I normally would regardless . I rarely if ever walk up on anyone as I'm hunting areas other hunters don't so it's not an issue. Most of the time I'm one of the first cars in the lot and almost always the last to leave though. Heck I've smashed big bucks outta lots that had 10 cars in it and had 5+ every day. One of my best spots has 5+ every day after Oct 31 through gun season. It's actually more of an issue to avoid the other hunters when dragging a stud out so I wipe blood off arrows and don't walk back in to get it till everyone leaves. I always tell the other hunters I didn't see anything. I tried sugar coating it and saying I saw a doe but even that drew too much attention when guys are barely seeing anything. :shock:
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:16 pm

I usually go somewhere else If I can't skirt around them out of sight (bow season).The bigger thing for me is I don't want to tip my hand to them. I dont want the guy who is sitting in the same ladder stand night after night in the wide open to start wondering why I am going all the way to the back. Next thing you know he'll be back there with you. Alot of times I'll wait for the right wind for an evening hunt and when they leave in their car for lunch Ill jump in and head to my evening set around 12:00 p.m..
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. After looking at the property, I think it’s big enough to support a few at a time. I’ll try getting out there early enough to be on pole position, but life doesn’t always work that way. It’s swampy, thick and nasty in spots. I want to see some of the deep wetland, so I’m going in next time. There’s only one entry point, but that’s the easy way in. I think I can get into the ugly by going through the ugly from the road... wind dependent of course. As of Friday at least, there were no boots in the gnarly area I went in. Might bode well. I have at least 3-4 backup options, two of which I have not set foot on, but the wetter and nastier the weather, the better for keeping people out.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”