Small Details Make a HUGE Difference

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Voz

Small Details Make a HUGE Difference

Unread postby Voz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:37 am

I'm sure this topic has been mentioned many times in the past but is one that is overlooked. Hopefully whoever reads this will pay extra attention to the smallest details before they go out on their next hunt.

This past Thursday a hunting buddy and I went out for a sit. The weather and wind was perfect for an area I've been waiting to hunt. We were running a bit late and I was finally setup at 5. The bedding area was maybe 50 yards way and I had one lane to shoot. At 6:20 I hear sloshing through the cattails and I see brown behind a bush 20 yards in front of me. Next I saw his antler's and right away I knew it was a shooter. I slowly start grabbing my bow and he looks up. I freeze and when he continued walking I grab it and get to full draw. I settle then pin and execute my shoot. I see the arrow go a few feet left of where I was aiming body and my first reaction was I missed a wide. I was certain the arrow deflected off a tree branch in front of me bc I've only seen that bad a miss when I've hit a branch etc.

I waited till dark to pack up to meet with my buddy. We go and check the arrow and to my surprise there was blood and some "muscle" matter on it. I called up another beast member to help track (big shout out to till him for coming out). Long story short, we tracked the deer for maybe 300-400 yards till we hit a creek. The verdict was it wasn't a lethal hit per the blood trail and what I described :/

The following day I went to shoot my bow to see if everything was ok. I brought the same clothes I wore on Thursday to "re-visit" the shot. I first started shooting in my regular sweatshirt and was shooting normal.... touching arrows and 30 and 40 yards. Next, I put on my hunting gear and started to shoot.... All my shots started hitting a few feet wide with a funny noise. I was hitting the part of my jacket that zips up to my chin and right there I realized that I missed bc I hit my jacket at release.

It was a new jacket I bought this past winter. Since it never crossed my mind to shoot with it on, it cost me a nice buck I would have been proud of! Don't make the same mistake I did and double check every detail!!

Looks like I need a new jacket or need to modify the one I have haha.

Dewey

Re: Small Details Make a HUGE Difference

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 am

Lot’s of big bucks have been lost to missed details just like that. Shooting with bulky clothing on can really be a challenge. Most guys shoot all summer and never practice while wearing hunting gear. It’s important to get fully dressed with everything including gloves and facemask if you wear them on stand. I also practice with my stand or pack on my back because you just never know when you will run into a buck.

With that being said you can do all of the above yet still run into problems. I completely missed a pretty easy shot on a good buck in January. The temps were well below zero and sometimes the muscles and equipment don’t function too well in those conditions. I even went so far as to put my bow in the freezer before shooting to look for any issues. You just can’t overlook anything. If it can go wrong it will. We owe it to the deer we hunt to do everything in our power to minimize all issues that cause bad shots.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:20 am

I always make sure I zip my jacket all the way up to avoid this. I see people in hunting videos with their jackets not zipped all the way up and can’t help but think their string will hit it if they shot like that
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:24 am

Yes, practicing with gear on is a much different deal. Also, I recommend shooting out of a stand, different angles, etc.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Voz

Unread postby Voz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 am

Jeff25 wrote:I always make sure I zip my jacket all the way up to avoid this. I see people in hunting videos with their jackets not zipped all the way up and can’t help but think their string will hit it if they shot like that

For whatever reason, if I zip it all the way up, it’s worse. Maybe bc I bought a tall size? Not sure if that makes any difference but when zipped it’s right up to my mouth.
Deerslayer31

Unread postby Deerslayer31 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:56 am

It happens to all of us bud. I had grunted to a buck one time and instead of putting grunt away I hung on my neck I drew my bow and take the shot the grunt tube got caught on string and I almost fell out of stand. It was a total miss and a lesson learned. Get back out and get redemption. Good luck.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:12 am

Yup that is a mistake I’ve heard many times I actually bought a under armor jacket a few years back in the left arm has a cord installed inside the sleeve where you can pull that sleeve super tight almost like wearing a forearm protector. So I hope you are able to see him again and put an arrow through them. Good luck
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:24 am

Bummer! But, you learned from it....thats the important thing! Tough lesson to learn!

When wearing my real heavy coat I will bring an arm guard...not because I need an arm guard...but because it works perfectly to compress the sleeve on my bow arm...and if it does hit, it should glance off the guard and not catch on anything.

I'd echo the above too...shoot how you hunt. A lot of guys never shoot from a stand..or not the stand they hunt from...or not directly behind the tree etc.

This year I was all twisted up for my shot. I was shooting behind me to the left (right would been even more difficult or impossible.). Nearly straight down which puts you in a heck of a weird position....and to make it worse, I didn't plan for a foot long limb to be in my way...I had to lean out past it. In that case, knowing and feeling my anchors were critical. Practicing from my stand taught me how to keep my anchors. You have to bend and twist to hit the anchors. I was leaning off the stand basically on one foot because I had to bend so much.

A half hour before that I had my quiver ON that limb which would have completely blocked the only shot I was going to get on that buck. I noticed that little detail. Glad I observed it. I picked up on it when I stood and Drew a few times...I like to do that to see my shot possibilities..keeps the muscles loose... practice hitting my anchors in different positions etc. I find drawing to be important when it's a long cold day....also backed off my draw weight because of those days. Became real tough to draw after hours of sitting there...bundled up..freezing cold...
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Overlooked detail for me last year-slightly frayed d loop. Walked 1/2 mile in. Hung a stand for me and one for my daughter. Pulled backs to check a lane. Boom. D loop snapped, punched myself in the face, string jumped the cams. My daughter asks if we can sit anyways to watch for deer. :D Yes, an observation sit it is, with a swollen eye and bruised ego. Saw a couple does. Bow shop had a good laugh.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”