Wisconsin rut?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Wisconsin rut?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:34 am

Looking at possibly making a trip north when is the Wisconsin rut?

Are you guys seeing a lot of pre rut activity going on?

Scapes here in Tn are just now starting to appear this week.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Wisconsin rut?

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:14 am

Nope...No rut happening in WI this year ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:15 am

What area are you looking at? We have bigwoods, hills and marsh. The end of October up until gun season can all be good.

I can tell you the week leading up to gun season usually has very little pressure on the public I hunt.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:54 am

Anytime oct20-ish till friday(Nov 16th) before gun hunting is good.

I like late oct. Getting them to leave beds just a few minutes earlier. If I was coming to Wisconsin blind , no boots on ground, I would definitely do hilly terrain in rut. And probably come in November. If your more comfortable in marshes or river bottoms that is good too though. I find it easier to map scout hills then just scout hunting pressure when your here.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 am

I did find a few fresh scrapes last Thursday on one section I hunt. Im guessing they were at least a day old and made when the cold front came thru. I didn't get excited when I saw the small tracks in the dirt. Little bucks doing little buck things. Halloween until gun season is prime time.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:17 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:What area are you looking at? We have bigwoods, hills and marsh. The end of October up until gun season can all be good.

I can tell you the week leading up to gun season usually has very little pressure on the public I hunt.

Not exactly sure never been up north.
I would hunt southern Wisconsin not sure if I would like being around bears and wolves in northern part of the state.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:What area are you looking at? We have bigwoods, hills and marsh. The end of October up until gun season can all be good.

I would hunt southern Wisconsin not sure if I would like being around bears and wolves in northern part of the state.

Hunting isn't the best once you get north of Hwy. 8. Southern WI is a good bet, or counties along the Mississippi River in the bluff country.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:05 pm

I hunt just west in Minnesota in various places from around the twin cities, south of Mille lacs lake, and to just north of Duluth. Pre rut is usually last week of October with peak rut November 3-10th give or take. From what I’ve heard Wisconsin is very similar.
Persistence is undefeated.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:20 pm

First week of November for the southern half I’d say. If I had to choose, I’d stick close to the Mississippi River in the sourthern part of the state.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:22 pm

tgreeno wrote:Nope...No rut happening in WI this year ;)

Couldn’t have said it better myself.
:liar:
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:34 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:

Hunting isn't the best once you get north of Hwy. 8. Southern WI is a good bet, or counties along the Mississippi River in the bluff country.

Haha, I have hunted the past 25 years north of Hwy 8. There are big deer up this way but the density isnt as high. I've hunted Buffalo Cty and Dunn Cty as well, some nice deer around there but the downside is the pressure is a lot higher. I havent seen a single other vehicle all season so far this year in NW WI. Next to no bow pressure, gun season everything gets hammered of course.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”