Scouting Frustration

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: Scouting Frustration

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:58 am

Steelhead125 wrote:
Kraftd wrote:I’d say half of my blind hunts end up with me contemplating whether just laying in the middle of the swamp and letting the coyotes get me is the best solution! All part of the game. Just about accumulating intel. Kind of fun to look back in some of the bad ones!

This made me laugh out loud ! :lol:

Best part is the next day we are looking forward to doing it all over again. Think we are all a bit messed up in the head. :lol:

Strenke629

Unread postby Strenke629 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:06 am

This happened to me yesterday, it was extremely frustrating. It has happened several times in the past as well, but I've definitely learned some things through my frustrations.

The big thing I learned is to extensively pre-plan before you attempt a going in blind sit.. Have multiple spots in mind to check for sign and if you don't see anything move on to the next. Have an observation stand pre-determined at the very end as well so if none of the spots pan out, you have a point where you can easily observe deer movement in the area to narrow down the next time you go to that chunk of land.

For me even with all that prep I was still thrown for a curve ball. I wanted to scout my way in through a tamarack swamp from island to island, but due to all the rain we've gotten recently I wasn't even able to get through the transition area because it was so deep (didn't expect it to be so deep). I wasn't even able to get to my pre-determined spots because of a variable I didn't consider.. I eventually found a spot to observe, but it was frustrating for sure..

Moral of the story is plan as much as possible before and accept the variables you may encounter!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nomadicbeastwi

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:07 am

Dewey wrote:
Steelhead125 wrote:
Kraftd wrote:I’d say half of my blind hunts end up with me contemplating whether just laying in the middle of the swamp and letting the coyotes get me is the best solution! All part of the game. Just about accumulating intel. Kind of fun to look back in some of the bad ones!

Best part is the next day we are looking forward to doing it all over again. Think we are all a bit messed up in the head. :lol:

Gotta love the work in it or this type of hunting isn't for you. When you hit pay dirt and kill one, you will know you earned it!
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 am

Dewey wrote:
Steelhead125 wrote:

I'm happy I know I'm messed up in the head.
Ognennyy

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:16 am

Country wrote:I end up in a tangled mess that I can't possibly walk through quietly. Try to get to the less thick area. Don't see any sign worth hunting.

As others have pointed out going for a blind hunt with stand on back is usually going to result in getting tangled up and frustrated a lot. I won't speak for anyone else but a great solution I've found is to leave the tree stand at home.

Going into the woods with a Lonewolf tree stand on your back is not a prerequisite for killing deer. In fact in my opinion if anything it reduces your chances for success:
- It's bulky so you're more visible
- It's heavy so you get tired out more quickly, you get frustrated and make more mistakes, and are in general less committed to the hunt and more reckless as a result of the extra weight
- Contrary to popular belief you far more likely to get winded while in a tree stand than hunting from the ground
- Metal on metal contact is loud
- Getting tangled makes a lot of noise
etc.
etc.
etc.

In my mind at least, blind hunting / in-season scouting is about mobility. The more ground you're able to cover the higher your chance for finding the sign you're looking for. Just ditch the stand for now until you learn a good pace and cadence for in-season scouting while hunting.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:44 am

Sounds a lot like what I do! We're all a bit nuts!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:58 am

street28ss wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Steelhead125 wrote:

I'm happy I know I'm messed up in the head.

Actually on second thought we are all normal. It’s everybody else that is messed up in the head. :lol:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:16 am

Happens all the time, like Dewey said I have also found some killer spots going in blind so just keep at it. What you did find was the places the bucks are not using right now so keep that in mind, you are narrowing down those areas. Also keep an eye out for old sign, one early season I found a killer rut bed that I have had a an encounter at and passed a decent buck at. Sometimes you go out and those first few hunts are amazing and sometimes you have to put in your time, try not to let the frustration win and keep focusing on what you are learning instead.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:52 am

Ognennyy wrote:
Country wrote:I end up in a tangled mess that I can't possibly walk through quietly. Try to get to the less thick area. Don't see any sign worth hunting.

As others have pointed out going for a blind hunt with stand on back is usually going to result in getting tangled up and frustrated a lot. I won't speak for anyone else but a great solution I've found is to leave the tree stand at home.

Going into the woods with a Lonewolf tree stand on your back is not a prerequisite for killing deer. In fact in my opinion if anything it reduces your chances for success:
- It's heavy so you get tired out more quickly, you get frustrated and make more mistakes, and are in general less committed to the hunt and more reckless as a result of the extra weight
- Contrary to popular belief you far more likely to get winded while in a tree stand than hunting from the ground
etc.
etc.
etc.

In my mind at least, blind hunting / in-season scouting is about mobility. The more ground you're able to cover the higher your chance for finding the sign you're looking for. Just ditch the stand for now until you learn a good pace and cadence for in-season scouting while hunting.

I've been doing this more and more and like it more every time when its truly a blind run.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:08 am

I know I scouted from 12-4 today in a bunch of swamp thickets I found nothing worth going after.

But I’ve also had times I walked right to good spots.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:58 am

Dewey wrote:
Steelhead125 wrote:

:lol: Ya you have all kind of these moments, the other night the rain soaked everything and messed up my light so I had to walk out a mile in the dark, fell at least 5 times and took countless sticks in the eye. Even had the old lone wolf slam me in the back of the head a couple of times for good measure. Couldn't help but ask myself what the bleep I was doing but you shake it off and just get out and do it all over agian the next hunt.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:00 am

Kraftd wrote:
I've been doing this more and more and like it more every time when its truly a blind run.

Been doing this too every now and then, just bringing the bow and setting up on the ground or even not hunting if I don't find anythign I like. It can make life a little easier.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:20 am

Really good responses. Thanks. Looking forward to some redemption. Not necessarily a kill...but some new Intel.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:45 am

Ognennyy wrote:

etc.
etc.
etc.

I’ve been contemplating this a lot lately. Especially knowing the areas I’ve been blind hunting in have didley squat for huntable trees. Likewise, logic leans toward shedding the weight and bulk if covering extensive thick ground.

As for the original topic, it’s the nature of the beast. This is my second season using these tactics and I still haven’t found “fresh” rubs til maybe the end of the third week of October. Most early season rubs I find are from right out of velvet shed which are already a month old. I tend to find some scrapes that are fairly fresh but still nothing like late October. Tracks are my best bet and it takes a ton of searching at that. IMO if you have a pre-October opener you have a better chance of finding that fresh sign and following bucks into that October transition. Still not saying it’s easy. Really bearing down on that late summer scouting is your biggest weapon for battling early season. Just keep grinding and learning because it’s about get better.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Ognennyy

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Ognennyy wrote:Going into the woods with a Lonewolf tree stand on your back is not a prerequisite for killing deer. In fact in my opinion if anything it reduces your chances for success:
etc.
etc.
etc.

I should've made clear that this is largely a situational and stylistic preference for me. There are plenty of people on here, with walls full of bucks the likes of which I'll probably never even see, who do run-n-gun in-season scouting hunts with stand on back. Plenty of people crush it with that style (just look at Joe's recent success in the public land challenge).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”