How do you have so many spots?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: How do you have so many spots?

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:11 am

milkweed-militia wrote:I watched the latest Hunting Beast youtube video last night about the new beast sticks and Dan said, "I've hunted every day since season opened and I haven't sat in the same tree twice."

This has me wondering how many of you guys do this and how exactly do you accomplish it? I hunt a mixture of private land and public land and even with being able to hunt mostly weekends, I'll likely be in the same spot more than once. I hope Dan breaks it down a bit, but I'd like to hear how some of you other guys hunt too.

The public areas that are close to home are anywhere from 20 minutes to a 45 minute drive. The ones passed that would probably warrant an overnight stay. With young kids and limited vacation, this probably won't be happening for the next few years. The majority of the public areas that I hunt are lakes bordered by public land and the land isn't really too deep in any certain area. Even though some of the WMA's are 20,000 acres, the vast majority of it is not accessible. I am looking at kayak access in the future, which will help some but these lakes run for miles and still the majority of it will not be accessible.

Do you guys have a lot of properties close to home, big unbroken chunks of public, etc.?

Dan rarely sleeps!!!! ;) :mrgreen:

Patients. Your still pretty new at all of this. We've all newly read and seen this mind blowing approach to chasing mature whitetail bucks. We see Dan's and other beast's successes. And want to be right there with them. When we still have oh so much to learn, experience and digest yet. We all learned to walk by crawling 1st.

Dan does have alot of quality spots out his "backdoor". And close to or on the way from his work. Plus his many decades of experience hunting beds. Gives him an unequaled ability to pick great spots. Either from cyber scouting or laying eyes on an actual piece of ground. You'll get there if you stick with it.

Being happy with what are realistic goals. Will keep things fun and enjoyable. One may need to settle for smaller antlered or younger bucks. Or a few years between kills. If we live near or can only hunt land where true monsters may not even exist or are rare. Or health, family or job limits time spent chasing bucks. I know this can be hard to do, cause we all dream of killing a wall full off mature bucks before we die!

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:22 am

stash59 wrote:
milkweed-militia wrote:I watched the latest Hunting Beast youtube video last night about the new beast sticks and Dan said, "I've hunted every day since season opened and I haven't sat in the same tree twice."

This has me wondering how many of you guys do this and how exactly do you accomplish it? I hunt a mixture of private land and public land and even with being able to hunt mostly weekends, I'll likely be in the same spot more than once. I hope Dan breaks it down a bit, but I'd like to hear how some of you other guys hunt too.

The public areas that are close to home are anywhere from 20 minutes to a 45 minute drive. The ones passed that would probably warrant an overnight stay. With young kids and limited vacation, this probably won't be happening for the next few years. The majority of the public areas that I hunt are lakes bordered by public land and the land isn't really too deep in any certain area. Even though some of the WMA's are 20,000 acres, the vast majority of it is not accessible. I am looking at kayak access in the future, which will help some but these lakes run for miles and still the majority of it will not be accessible.

Do you guys have a lot of properties close to home, big unbroken chunks of public, etc.?

Patients. Your still pretty new at all of this. We've all newly read and seen this mind blowing approach to chasing mature whitetail bucks. We see Dan's and other beast's successes. And want to be right there with them. When we still have oh so much to learn, experience and digest yet. We all learned to walk by crawling 1st.

Dan does have alot of quality spots out his "backdoor". And close to or on the way from his work. Plus his many decades of experience hunting beds. Gives him an unequaled ability to pick great spots. Either from cyber scouting or laying eyes on an actual piece of ground. You'll get there if you stick with it.

Being happy with what are realistic goals. Will keep things fun and enjoyable. One may need to settle for smaller antlered or younger bucks. Or a few years between kills. If we live near or can only hunt land where true monsters may not even exist or are rare. Or health, family or job limits time spent chasing bucks. I know this can be hard to do, cause we all dream of killing a wall full off mature bucks before we die!

That's one of the main things that I was curious about, and how many other guys have a similar situation where they can access a lot of properties quickly.

There is certainly a lot to learn. But, one great thing about this forum is that you actually can learn. The last thing that I learned on the outdoor channel was if my food plots that I didn't have irrigation ponds above were dry, that I could go rent a fire truck and water them myself. They didn't mention the price, but I'm sure that it is fairly cheap. :roll:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:29 am

milkweed-militia wrote:
stash59 wrote:

That's one of the main things that I was curious about, and how many other guys have a similar situation where they can access a lot of properties quickly.

There is certainly a lot to learn. But, one great thing about this forum is that you actually can learn. The last thing that I learned on the outdoor channel was if my food plots that I didn't have irrigation ponds above were dry, that I could go rent a fire truck and water them myself. They didn't mention the price, but I'm sure that it is fairly cheap. :roll:

If you go to his Wisconsin marsh workshop. You'll get maps and be taken through alot of his "backdoor" big buck spots.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:29 am

milkweed-militia wrote:The last thing that I learned on the outdoor channel was if my food plots that I didn't have irrigation ponds above were dry, that I could go rent a fire truck and water them myself. They didn't mention the price, but I'm sure that it is fairly cheap. :roll:

That is crazy. :lol:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:36 am

headgear wrote:
milkweed-militia wrote:The last thing that I learned on the outdoor channel was if my food plots that I didn't have irrigation ponds above were dry, that I could go rent a fire truck and water them myself. They didn't mention the price, but I'm sure that it is fairly cheap. :roll:

That is crazy. :lol:

Gotta admit some of these guys do still put in alot of effort. And think of some "out of the box" things to do. Guess if I was rich I'd do it all. Own plenty of well managed acres in my home state. Then use Beast tactics for out of state public land hunts. Win, win in my book!
milkweed-militia
500 Club

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:46 am

I was going to try and come to the hill country workshop since it would be closest to the terrain that I hunt, but I couldn't work any of the flight schedules around Church. I joke about those guys on TV, but some of them do put in a ton of work. You can't take that away from them.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:57 am

headgear wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:A lot of us don't really do scent control. What Dan said in the Marsh video was something along the lines of... if I have to go home and show, get dressed in the woods, not work up a sweat getting to my stand and on an on I am not going to be hunting as much after work because it takes too much time to do all of that stuff. By just hunting and worrying only about the wind you will hunt a lot more and hopefully get on more deer by hitting more bedding area or spending more time scouting.

Ah, gotcha now. Makes sense. I’m definitely getting the sense that the wind is our enemy or friend depending on how we use it, and that not even the best scent control is really reliable against the freakishly amazing whitetail nose.

Thanks for the clarification.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
milkweed-militia
500 Club

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:06 am

I'm hoping that some of the more accomplished beast style hunters will comment on this as well; PredatorTC, Magicman, PK, JoeRE, Burk and I'm sure a ton that I'm forgetting. I'm not interested in their areas or even where they live necessarily. I'm curious how many guys are able to use these tactics during a typical workweek and how they are able to make it work.

Living close to properties, flexible work schedules, etc.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 am

Il bite. I’m young at 31 but I’ve killed a good bit of mature bucks bed hunting. Started bed hunting hard around 2010. I grew up in pa and would put in an astronomical amount of time scouting. Summer, in season, and then winter spring super hard. 3-5 days a week after work and on weekends.

I’m blessed that my wife is 10x times smarter then me and is the bread winner. She’s a nurse anesthetist. Now that we moved to Sourh Carolina I work a bs Job that let’s me work as much or as little as I want. My wife knows bowhunting is my passion and has no problem with me hunting, scouting, spending time in the woods compared to boozing or bars.

I have 122k acres of national forest right down the road. Somedays I hunt 10 mins away, other times I’m driving an hr and half. All of my scouting down here has been cyber scouting first then boots on the ground with in season scouting and sits. When I find hot sign I hunt it,
If not I keep on scouting.

After season I will literally wear out a pair of boots from
Winter and spring scouting for next season. Last year I knew we were moving, I still put over 300 hours of scouting in from January till April when we moved. I’m headed back next week and have more areas then I could ever hunt in 2-3 weeks. I’m similar to dan where I don’t hunt the same tree. Unless I bump one or lay eyes on one and he doesn’t bust me, then I’m for sure gunna throw another sit or even 2 at him while he’s still using the area.

It all boils down to how much time ya wanna commit to it. It’s a life style for me. My wife and I fish all the time together and she lets me hunt and scout whenever I want. We decided to not have kids. One reason is cause I hunt and fish so much. It’s a life choice. Find the balance for your situation and make realistic goals.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:52 am

greenhorndave wrote:Ah, gotcha now. Makes sense. I’m definitely getting the sense that the wind is our enemy or friend depending on how we use it, and that not even the best scent control is really reliable against the freakishly amazing whitetail nose.Thanks for the clarification.

Yep that is kind of the key, there have been endless debates on here and there might even be a time and place for scent control but for many of us it is in our past, I use to buy into it big time but kept getting busted so it was kind of a double light going on when I first heard of Dan preaching scouting, hard work and passing on all the expensive products and gadgets.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Not sure how u can run out of spots. Just because u might not hunt the exact tree repeatedly doesn't mean u need to move a mile away. I make micro moves all the time, sometimes just 20 yards from my original tree. If I'm on a property I'm not familiar with I will keep making little moves until I have set every bit of that property to find the sweet spot. Once sweet spot is found, I make note and hit that when the time is right the following year. But take that with a grain of salt cause I'm a believer u don't always have to move. I'm stupid enough to hunt a spot 2 weeks straight from daylight until dark waiting one out. Perhaps I'm just a lucky son of a gun.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:49 pm

i have just about scouted every public spot no matter how small within a hour of my house lucky for me i have over 160000 acres to work with. out of all that land i only call maybe 2000 of it good for big bucks. i normally hunt 6 days every week all evening sits except weekends then i also hunt mornings. i scout every available moment i get after the season and during when im not hunting. some spots repeat every year some only produce when certain things happen. but over time everything starts too fall together. i have some areas i wait for rut too hunt cuz the terrain works for me mostly mountains. right now im working river bottom beaver swamps in a new area i really want too learn and saving my better spots for closer too the rut. when i locate a big buck be from tracks sign scrapes rubs or sightings i start systematically punching likely bedding. some moves are only one tree over some are hundreds of yards apart. but every sit is telling me something for my next move. every piece is part of the puzzle.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Not sure how u can run out of spots. Just because u might not hunt the exact tree repeatedly doesn't mean u need to move a mile away. I make micro moves all the time, sometimes just 20 yards from my original tree. If I'm on a property I'm not familiar with I will keep making little moves until I have set every bit of that property to find the sweet spot. Once sweet spot is found, I make note and hit that when the time is right the following year. But take that with a grain of salt cause I'm a believer u don't always have to move. I'm stupid enough to hunt a spot 2 weeks straight from daylight until dark waiting one out. Perhaps I'm just a lucky son of a gun.

on most properties that would not work well as the bucks would feel that pressure IMO
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:41 pm

It kinda doesn’t matter what someone else has as options if you don’t have time... you don’t have time with your kids, job etc it doesn’t make any difference that someone else does. My time is very limited this year so have time off planned on weekends that I think are best odds I’d love to hunt on a Tuesday night but that’s not happening this year
quote="milkweed-militia"]
DaveT1963 wrote:
milkweed-militia wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Can't speak for Dan but I would assume Time and Hard Work. I have 100s of trees I could hunt on any given day, and I scout out more new areas every single season. You don't do this for 40 years and not have a lot of options - unless you get trapped into that stage where you hunt the same tree over and over and over.....

3 years ago - I spent 48 of the 52 weekends in a year scouting or hunting - that was my most dedicated season, this year I spent probably 10 weekends scouting and so far 2 of 2 weekends hunting - I have yet to sit in a tree I have ever hunted before this year and only twice last year.

That is impressive stuff. What about your drive times to most properties that you hunt? Are they a pretty good drive from home or fairly close?
During the public land challenge, Dan and Joe were driving 3 hours one way every day to hunt that particular spot. I know that Dan works like everyone else, and that fact maybe peeked my curiosity more than anything. Obviously he couldn't do that same kind of hunt on a daily basis and also work. By the time that I get home from work, I can get out at my house and hunt but it would be dark if I tried anywhere else. I'm wondering about people's work schedules as well. I certainly see that putting in the time scouting gains new locations, but you can only get to so many spots from the time you leave work before dark.

I know that a lot of state's public lands set up differently than my area. I see some similar to here, but I see some that have huge chunks of unbroken land as well.

This thread is certainly not meant to be a dig on Dan or anyone else. I've learned more from reading this site for a month than I ever have from anything I've seen on the outdoor channel. I've got great respect for Dan and what he does. Maybe the title should've been, "How do you get to so many spots with limited time?"

The closest public land is 50 minutes, and most are 2 hours+

I think that is more of what I'm curious about. I get off work around 4:30 and after a 45 to 50 minute drive home, there isn't a lot of daylight left. I'm just assuming that you don't hunt properties that are 50 minutes to 2 hours away after work. I know that I've read or heard Dan talk about a big public marsh being behind his house, which obviously would help.

Do some of you guys have flexible schedules so that you can maybe skip lunch to leave early or stack up time through the rest of the year so you have a little extra time come season?[/quote]
milkweed-militia
500 Club

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:50 am

cedarsavage wrote:It kinda doesn’t matter what someone else has as options if you don’t have time... you don’t have time with your kids, job etc it doesn’t make any difference that someone else does. My time is very limited this year so have time off planned on weekends that I think are best odds I’d love to hunt on a Tuesday night but that’s not happening this year
quote="milkweed-militia"]
DaveT1963 wrote:
milkweed-militia wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Can't speak for Dan but I would assume Time and Hard Work. I have 100s of trees I could hunt on any given day, and I scout out more new areas every single season. You don't do this for 40 years and not have a lot of options - unless you get trapped into that stage where you hunt the same tree over and over and over.....

3 years ago - I spent 48 of the 52 weekends in a year scouting or hunting - that was my most dedicated season, this year I spent probably 10 weekends scouting and so far 2 of 2 weekends hunting - I have yet to sit in a tree I have ever hunted before this year and only twice last year.

That is impressive stuff. What about your drive times to most properties that you hunt? Are they a pretty good drive from home or fairly close?
During the public land challenge, Dan and Joe were driving 3 hours one way every day to hunt that particular spot. I know that Dan works like everyone else, and that fact maybe peeked my curiosity more than anything. Obviously he couldn't do that same kind of hunt on a daily basis and also work. By the time that I get home from work, I can get out at my house and hunt but it would be dark if I tried anywhere else. I'm wondering about people's work schedules as well. I certainly see that putting in the time scouting gains new locations, but you can only get to so many spots from the time you leave work before dark.

I know that a lot of state's public lands set up differently than my area. I see some similar to here, but I see some that have huge chunks of unbroken land as well.

This thread is certainly not meant to be a dig on Dan or anyone else. I've learned more from reading this site for a month than I ever have from anything I've seen on the outdoor channel. I've got great respect for Dan and what he does. Maybe the title should've been, "How do you get to so many spots with limited time?"

The closest public land is 50 minutes, and most are 2 hours+

I think that is more of what I'm curious about. I get off work around 4:30 and after a 45 to 50 minute drive home, there isn't a lot of daylight left. I'm just assuming that you don't hunt properties that are 50 minutes to 2 hours away after work. I know that I've read or heard Dan talk about a big public marsh being behind his house, which obviously would help.

Do some of you guys have flexible schedules so that you can maybe skip lunch to leave early or stack up time through the rest of the year so you have a little extra time come season?
[/quote]

I agree that it doesn't matter what someone else does. I know that I can only hunt as much as I can hunt. i just enjoy reading about other people's strategies and how they use their time. I'm sure there are some that hunt almost every day and others that only hunt weekends. I like hearing about the different situations.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”