Buck bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Huntn247
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am
Location: Parkersburg WV
Status: Offline

Buck bedding

Unread postby Huntn247 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:33 pm

First time asking a question guys . Love the forum . I bowhunt SE Ohio private land with a little public. Have had good successful hunts last 2 years bed hunting . I’ve door knocked on at least 150 doors in last 5 years and have accumulated enough properties to bed hunt different properties based on different winds etc . Not all the farms have good buck bedding though. The one thing I struggle with most is predicting buck bedding when the winds are light and variable . With steady winds during daylight and night one I have found success predicting the areas they will want to be , but when winds are light and variable it seems almost impossible to predict. If the winds are light at night how are the bucks choosing there bedding. Hope to get a good back and forth going!


User avatar
WV Bowhunter
500 Club
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: West Virginia
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:22 pm

I assume your hunting mostly hills in SE Ohio?
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Huntn247
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am
Location: Parkersburg WV
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby Huntn247 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:25 pm

I know the question seems vague and I have a lot of ideas as to how they might decide based on thermals and food , time of year etc etc etc , but hoping to get anyone else’s opinion and ideas . Not new to bed hunting at all but this is one thing I’d love to get a discussion started on.The area I’m in is hill country with scattered crops. Just depends on which farm I’m hunting that hunt.
Huntn247
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am
Location: Parkersburg WV
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby Huntn247 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:31 pm

WV Bowhunter wrote:I assume your hunting mostly hills in SE Ohio?



Yes hill country with some crops depending on area .
User avatar
headgear
500 Club
Posts: 11319
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am
Location: Northern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Light and variable is just hard to hunt no matter what, not only is it hard to predict bedding you scent is getting blown all over the place anyway so even if you are near a good one the odds of getting busted skyrocket. Sometimes those nights are best for doe patrol or an observation sit.
Huntn247
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am
Location: Parkersburg WV
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby Huntn247 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:47 pm

headgear wrote:Light and variable is just hard to hunt no matter what, not only is it hard to predict bedding you scent is getting blown all over the place anyway so even if you are near a good one the odds of getting busted skyrocket. Sometimes those nights are best for doe patrol or an observation sit.

I definitely have to agree and that’s kinda what I was thinking. Unfortunately with work and family I find myself able to hunt one morning a weekend until my “rutcation” and that’s why I work so hard at gaining access through door knocking so that I can roll the dice and get aggressive when I do get to go out knowing that I have last few days of October and first 2 weeks of November to fall back on . When the winds are light and variable I’ve been watching the hourly to kinda get an idea on what the wind might tend to be (keeping in mind hill country and thermals ) and trying to position a little off wind from what wind there might be and higher(behind and above bed(s) ) because of morning thermals ,
Huntn247
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am
Location: Parkersburg WV
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby Huntn247 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks for the input headgear ! Do you think there are any tendencies you can point to as to how the bucks decide where to bed in early am (before daylight ) when the winds are light and inconsistent? I also have been focusing on the beds that have other beds for other winds nearby in case they have to make a switch, say If the wind were to pick up and be in a direction not suited for the initial bed they chose before daylight hoping they are in that area knowing that hey won’t have to go far to Change (usually where a few ravines /drainages/ ridges come together)
User avatar
backstraps
Moderator
Posts: 8637
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: Tennessee
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Huntn247 wrote:Thanks for the input headgear ! Do you think there are any tendencies you can point to as to how the bucks decide where to bed in early am (before daylight ) when the winds are light and inconsistent? I also have been focusing on the beds that have other beds for other winds nearby in case they have to make a switch, say If the wind were to pick up and be in a direction not suited for the initial bed they chose before daylight hoping they are in that area knowing that hey won’t have to go far to Change (usually where a few ravines /drainages/ ridges come together)


I have noticed in the areas of SE Ohio I hunt, that there are some primary beds I find, that are isolated, cover bedding and wind bedding.... and once you find the bed, you instantly realize how and why a buck beds there and stays alive.... these type beds I think get used especially during the VERY COMMON light and variable winds up there. He feels safe in those type beds, and I think many will bed with a secure sense even though the wind isnt what we consider textbook on a given day

But the thing you mentioned that I try to seek out when scouting.... I really like the points that have several beds, that are relatively close. This will allow the buck to relocate with very little walking when the wind shifts during the day. I have witnessed a buck out of range from me get up and only walked maybe 25 yards on the same point. I have also seen on the backside of a front where the wind shifted 180 degrees, the buck dropped into a ravine and bedded on a point that is now facing the point he just left.
Huntn247
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am
Location: Parkersburg WV
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby Huntn247 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:51 pm

backstraps wrote:
Huntn247 wrote:Thanks for the input headgear ! Do you think there are any tendencies you can point to as to how the bucks decide where to bed in early am (before daylight ) when the winds are light and inconsistent? I also have been focusing on the beds that have other beds for other winds nearby in case they have to make a switch, say If the wind were to pick up and be in a direction not suited for the initial bed they chose before daylight hoping they are in that area knowing that hey won’t have to go far to Change (usually where a few ravines /drainages/ ridges come together)



I have noticed in the areas of SE Ohio I hunt, that there are some primary beds I find, that are isolated, cover bedding and wind bedding.... and once you find the bed, you instantly realize how and why a buck beds there and stays alive.... these type beds I think get used especially during the VERY COMMON light and variable winds up there. He feels safe in those type beds, and I think many will bed with a secure sense even though the wind isnt what we consider textbook on a given day

But the thing you mentioned that I try to seek out when scouting.... I really like the points that have several beds, that are relatively close. This will allow the buck to relocate with very little walking when the wind shifts during the day. I have witnessed a buck out of range from me get up and only walked maybe 25 yards on the same point. I have also seen on the backside of a front where the wind shifted 180 degrees, the buck dropped into a ravine and bedded on a point that is now facing the point he just left.


Thanks backstrap for the return info! That’s another reason I sorta have to lean to morning hunts on some of the best beds I find ( in the areas they can easily shift based on wind shifts)
because the beds are fail proof for the buck and I can’t get close enough to them without being seen or heard in most instances in the evening or midday and I don’t see the buck moving very far from it in daylight. At least not far enough for a shot opportunity . If I go in in am to these areas I have no trouble getting out undetected because I know if buck is there or not because I watched area all morning and I can get close enough to where I feel like I’m in the “safe zone” where he might be comfortable enough browsing around mid morning giving me a shot .
Huntn247
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am
Location: Parkersburg WV
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby Huntn247 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Also backstrap I have been watching closely a wind shift this coming Saturday/Sunday like you mentioned that I have a perfect spot to set up based solely on the consistent winds from the general NW direction for today tonight thru Saturday , then boom light and variable Saturday night into Sunday morning with a slight Southerly wind picking up Sunday . I’m hoping the consistent winds today through sat night from a general NW direction will pin him to one primary bed I feel he will prefer during that time and I will set up for the wind shift coming later Sunday morning even if it is a slight one . That primary bed is in one of those areas we mentioned that has bedding for any wind in one little 3-4 acre area , so I can set up for the shift while also from same tree be set up in case he just sticks with the primary bed and says screw it on moving lol
User avatar
Ack
Posts: 2837
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby Ack » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:02 pm

I've seen bucks in SE Ohio bed in the best security cover available no matter what the wind, and also in areas where they have a visual advantage. All depends on how the property is laid out.
Huntn247
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am
Location: Parkersburg WV
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby Huntn247 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 am

Ack wrote:I've seen bucks in SE Ohio bed in the best security cover available no matter what the wind, and also in areas where they have a visual advantage. All depends on how the property is laid out.


Almost all the beds I’ve found in last 3 years have had a visual advantage , especially the early season bedding . Tough to get close enough in evening when they can see over a 100 yards lol . I did find an amazing bed last year that was worn to dirt by a buck I know well , got great pics of him many times nearby going to and from ( all daylights, 7 different times ) and it is in best security cover around with perfect escape routes, hope to capitalize this year on it when he returns 3-4th week of October ! Thanks for the info Ack!
Deerslayer31
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:30 am
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby Deerslayer31 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:08 pm

I hunt se ohio on my buddy’s farm and we have the same issue. I notice with the steep hollers the wind is blowing in a different direction then 100 yards away. I feel the bucks use more of the thermals to their advantage. I know that Dan has all the dvds out and I have all of them. But I wish or hope that him and the hunting public do a tour I. Southern ohio or West Virginia in the hollers. I am from NJ and had no idea the crazy affects of thermals until hunting out their. After 15 years I learn more every sit.
huntfromabove
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:59 am
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby huntfromabove » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:31 am

My cousins and i hunt in guernsey county and steep hills and ravines are throughout the area. Very tough to hunt and much like you said, a lot of swirling wind if you try to hunt low. I feel i have some tactics for this season and will be mobile for the most part.


Deerslayer31 wrote:I hunt se ohio on my buddy’s farm and we have the same issue. I notice with the steep hollers the wind is blowing in a different direction then 100 yards away. I feel the bucks use more of the thermals to their advantage. I know that Dan has all the dvds out and I have all of them. But I wish or hope that him and the hunting public do a tour I. Southern ohio or West Virginia in the hollers. I am from NJ and had no idea the crazy affects of thermals until hunting out their. After 15 years I learn more every sit.
User avatar
bowfreak8
500 Club
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 am
Status: Offline

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:20 am

Southern Ohio can definitely be tough with all the hills. Milkweed is huge in trying to figure out the wind in the hills.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests