Marsh water height - NE Wis?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Marsh water height - NE Wis?

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:26 am

Anybody been out in our local marsh's in the past few days? anywhere between Fond du Lac and Greenbay. I'm trying to get an idea as to how high the water is. Opening weekend, one of the rivers I go to was 2-2.5' high, and the marsh was high as well. We'v had a ton of rain recently and I haven't had a chance to check what it like out in the woods. Thanks for any input. If you have been out, are you seeing deer as well, or have most relocated to higher ground for the time being?

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Re: Marsh water height - NE Wis?

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:17 am

Have not been out hunting cuz i am recovering from surgery, but I can drive. I get bored so I drive around the close marshes daily to pass time. Was out around Eldorado marsh and the pond out there was overflowed 40 yards into the parking area. Have never seen that before. There is alot of water right now.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:15 am

I’ll give an update tonight/tomorrow
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:49 pm

The marsh I was in tonight is definitely wet. Most of the trails I could see where under 5-8” of water.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:58 pm

The water is deep but far from the worst I have ever seen. Deep water doesn’t bother the bucks. Every single marsh buck I ever killed was black with muck over the knees. They live in that stuff and survive because everyone is afraid to go in after them.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:44 pm

I will say this, after going up and spending some time with Dan in the WI swamps - I respect you guys walking in the dark on that bog..... especially when I learned you can punch through in spots that could be over your head. I suppose you learn how, but for this TX boy that made me very leery about doing it solo. I will get up there one day to hunt, but I sure will be nervous in those "BOGS" you guys are hunting.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:43 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I will say this, after going up and spending some time with Dan in the WI swamps - I respect you guys walking in the dark on that bog..... especially when I learned you can punch through in spots that could be over your head. I suppose you learn how, but for this TX boy that made me very leery about doing it solo. I will get up there one day to hunt, but I sure will be nervous in those "BOGS" you guys are hunting.

Sometimes you have to feel your way through the thin spots and go slow, if you just blindly step on anything you are asking for trouble. Sometimes a little hole will catch you by surprise but that is usually just a one legger. The swamps actually get a little more scary when they are frozen over, the beavers or decomposing matter will create thin spots in the ice. 99% of the time everything is rock hard and thick but you hit that one spot and you are in to your armpits in a flash.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:49 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I will say this, after going up and spending some time with Dan in the WI swamps - I respect you guys walking in the dark on that bog..... especially when I learned you can punch through in spots that could be over your head. I suppose you learn how, but for this TX boy that made me very leery about doing it solo. I will get up there one day to hunt, but I sure will be nervous in those "BOGS" you guys are hunting.

I avoid the floating bogs. If the cattails are waving ahead like a waterbed when I walk it’s time to take a different route. They can be pretty dangerous especially years like this one where the water is pretty high. You just never know if it’s only one foot or ten feet of water underneath. Loaded down with a stand and other gear on your back it can get ugly real fast and you could litteraly disappear. Another danger especially in one of the bigger marshes I hunt is many years ago there were huge peat fires that burned underground for months sometimes 20-30 feet deep. Over the years these filled up with water so you really don’t know where they are until you step off the ledge of what seems like perfectly safe ground to walk on. Luckily I never found one of them but know people that have.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:53 am

Dewey wrote:

I avoid the floating bogs. If the cattails are waving ahead like a waterbed when I walk it’s time to take a different route. They can be pretty dangerous especially years like this one where the water is pretty high. You just never know if it’s only one foot or ten feet of water underneath. Loaded down with a stand and other gear on your back it can get ugly real fast and you could litteraly disappear. Another danger especially in one of the bigger marshes I hunt is many years ago there were huge peat fires that burned underground for months sometimes 20-30 feet deep. Over the years these filled up with water so you really don’t know where they are until you step off the ledge of what seems like perfectly safe ground to walk on. Luckily I never found one of them but know people that have.

That's why when I ever do make it up there I am going to ask for company lol - I'll take my moccasins over sinking head deep in freezing weather - yikes you dudes better be careful
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:32 am

Most of my spots have solid ground, but I do remember one year walking a trail in doing the waterbed thing, and I poked one foot thru. Not something I want to repeat.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:11 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

That's why when I ever do make it up there I am going to ask for company lol - I'll take my moccasins over sinking head deep in freezing weather - yikes you dudes better be careful

Don't let Dewey scare you away :lol:

It's highly unlikely you will hit a hole that will "float your hat" ;)

I was scouting a marsh in March one year, walking along a frozen deer trail through normal looking cattails. I hit a soft spot, broke through to just above my waist and my feet never hit ground. Luckily I caught myself by bending forward and throwing my arms out. Fun times.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:53 am

Dewey wrote:The water is deep but far from the worst I have ever seen. Deep water doesn’t bother the bucks. Every single marsh buck I ever killed was black with muck over the knees. They live in that stuff and survive because everyone is afraid to go in after them.

Not Everyone is afraid to go in after em.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:01 am

Pullintoobs wrote:
Dewey wrote:The water is deep but far from the worst I have ever seen. Deep water doesn’t bother the bucks. Every single marsh buck I ever killed was black with muck over the knees. They live in that stuff and survive because everyone is afraid to go in after them.

I should say a majority. Obviously us die hard marsh guys are not afraid but we are a minority. Most guys hunt the edge of the marshes and never venture into them.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:07 am

Dewey wrote:
Pullintoobs wrote:

I should say a majority. Obviously us die hard marsh guys are not afraid but we are a minority. Most guys hunt the edge of the marshes and never venture into them.

I knew what you meant...Just was tooting us marsh hunters horns, so to speak.
I have hunted with several guys that thought I was a nut for going where I have gone.
Kinda funny when you get back to the truck and they have been waiting an hour or two wondering where the heck you are.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:09 am

You just have to be smart about it, experience tells you when it is safe to walk a decent distance on some floating blog and when you need to turn back because its going to get deep in a hurry.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”