Rubber or leather boots?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PMVBowhunter

Rubber or leather boots?

Unread postby PMVBowhunter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 am

I am new to the beast style of hunting and was wondering what the consensus is on if one should wear rubber boots while hunting. I typically wear Muck boots that I have cleaned and sprayed. After reading and learning about the scout-hunt hot sign methodology I don’t know if there is still a need for it. My leather boots are more comfortable for long days scouting and are much quieter in the woods. Does the quietness of the boots out way the fact of leaving more ground scent? I would love to hear the rationale and reasons for both schools of thought.

Thanks

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Rubber or leather boots?

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:30 am

Wear what's comfortable and works for you. Doesn't matter what you clean and spray on your boots or anything else for that matter. He crosses your trail or gets down wind of you...he knows you were there.

I've went to leather boots almost primarily the last couple years. My feet sweat something fierce....if I wear rubber boots I can literally leave foot prints on concrete when I take them off because my socks are so wet...tried powders, sprays, good sock liners... expensive socks..doesn't matter. So the typical benefit of rubber boots keeping feet dry doesn't apply to me...
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:37 am

Leather for me unless I need the functional aspect of rubbers (water crossings). Rubber boots are dreadfully uncomfortable in any sort of challenging terrain.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Rubbers cause I don’t hunt hills. I’ll bring an extra pair of socks or boots if needed for the function of rubber. For me, I need it. Others probably don’t. Ultimately depends on your area and the terrain you hunt. I hunt a lot of wet stuff so I need waterproof rubbers or boots that drain.

As far as the scent standpoint, I guarantee any boot I wear will knock you off your feet with the stink my feet put out. Don’t buy into everything you read until you see it and experience it for yourself
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Leather unless it's cold. My Lacrosse boots are 2000 gram thinsulte. Leather is so much more comfy tho
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:13 pm

rubber for me no matter where i hunt i can get wet feet be mountains or river bottom something can always get my feet wet even if a leather boot is water proof the leather can get wet and drastically reduce the temperature rating on them combine that with a metal stand and your in for a bad sit when it gets cold. warm weather is not so important and i say use what you like best.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 pm

I have always wore rubber boots I like Lacrosse
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:23 pm

I tend to agree with most of the opinions I've read here- you can never beat a deer's nose- on scent control and the importance of playing the wind. But when it comes to boots, I'm not so sure. I've trapped coyotes and fox for almost 20 years and it is absolutely critical to wear rubber gloves when handling traps, rubber boots and some kind of foam/rubber mat at sets. If you dont, you will not be successful. Now a deer's nose is a little more powerful than a canine, but their nose is still pretty dang good and the things I've seen on the trampoline tell me there is merit to the idea of minimizing scent to fool them just long enough.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:21 pm

I've gots to have more than one hunting boot. When I'm in the bottoms, I'm in waders. When I'm in steep hills I'm in Danner Pronghorn's. But most of the time, I wear LaCrosse Burly's.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:23 pm

I wouldn’t make it a mile in rubber boots in the mountains. My leather boots are waterproof to 9 inches which is more water than I normally cross and I can walk comfortably all day. I don’t worry about ground scent from different kind of boots-they all leave scent-and I very rarely see deer react to ground scent where I hunt.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:28 pm

I have both, but have been wearing leather hiking boots more and more. It just makes things more comfortable when walking long distances. I hunt WV and PA, so there aren't many marshes around here to worry about wet feet.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”