Abundance of bedding cover

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Abundance of bedding cover

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Another big difference is in season scouting. With Ag fields you can glass and walk the edges to look for tracks/rubs etc. without disturbing the bedding in a lot of cases. To find how sign in big woods, i.e. which acorns are falling/being hit, persimmons, and natural browse being used, etc., you HAVE to get in there and a lot of the time bucks will not be bedded far away and the odds are you will alert them as you verify. In years with high acorn production and bucks will a lot of times bed right where they eat and travel very little during the pre rut - they just do not have a need to travel - that is where ag fields have a huge advantage is because they usually travel a bit to these fields and you can spot check the edges for sign much easier.

Agreed, however things get a lot better once those leaves are down, at least up here. They still might be hard to get on in hill country but my swamp bedding areas start fill up with deer and any little extra pressure form other hunters really helps as well. I can still scout areas without getting too close to bedding so I at least know if a good one is in the area but like you mentioned to confirm you might have to get in a little too close. Just have to find a way to get it done with scouting/hunting non stop, now if I could only quit my job. :lol:

HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:59 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
HunterBob wrote:Is "maple leaf drop" what it sounds like, or is it something else?

When Maple leaves drop they are like sugar candy - deer will hit them hard

Wow, I have never heard this. Thanks for the info as I have some locations that are in the midst of maple groves.
Lukebroz30

Unread postby Lukebroz30 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

Great tips guys. I have a few maple trees in mind now that I found while still hunting. DNR must have planted them years ago because they have the wire mesh around the bases. I guess I just have to keep bouncing around and looking for the buck sign.. I found one bed while still hunting that had 2 or three beds within 2 steps of it, had rubs right in the bed, pretty much the only rub I’ve seen all year. If I can predict the hot food source and go scout it and find the hot sign that’ll give me the best shot. Just have not seen that sign. But I will find it. I think I’m going to put my trail cams to work as well around the food sources I do find and see if I can catch any bucks. To me this season is my first real beast style season and I didn’t get to do winter scouting so I’m mostly going in blind, I’m pretty much throwing a dart at the map at this point. There aren’t many AG fields around and I have yet to find a acorn tree big enough to attract deer.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
HunterBob wrote:Is "maple leaf drop" what it sounds like, or is it something else?

When Maple leaves drop they are like sugar candy - deer will hit them hard

Makes sense, but that's not going to help pinpoint things around where I hunt. Damn near all the trees on the property and surrounding properties are maples. Definitely interesting to know. I have learned way more in a couple of weeks with Dan's videos and this site than I ever expected. Y'all are awesome.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”