My first ever.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

My first ever.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:32 am

My first game camera ever. Is a Wildgame brand model v16i7m-8 Vision. Owners manual leaves a lot to be disired for old eyes, even with my bifocals on I need a magnifying glass to read them.

So any tips On how high to hang it? How far off a deer run way? Which direction should it be pointed N, S, E or West.

Should I pay special attention to battery brand?

"The Wildgame Innovations™ Vision™ 16 Lightsout™ scouting camera features 16MP HD 36pc high intensity invisible black LED's. The rapid trigger speed of less than one second captures both still images and 15 second videos. The Vision™ has an illumination range of up to 70 feet and is energy efficient for long term use.

16 MP HD Black LED Digital Scouting Camera
36 pc high intensity invisible black LED infrared flash
<1 second Rapid Trigger Speed
Still Images or 15 second video setting
Illumination range up to 70ft
Energy Efficient for long term use
Up to 32 GB SDHC Card (not included)
Uses 8 AA cell batteries (not included)
Up to 1 year battery life based on average use
Brand Name: Wildgame Innovations

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: My first ever.

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:50 am

Always face cam facing North of possible, avoids pics getting washed out by rising or setting sun, or lower southern sun in the fall.

A lot of guys hang them high (8-14ft) but the triggering can be a lot more inconsistent, so I just hang them at waist level and use a python lock.

If you live in a cold climate, lithium batteries perform a lot better in extremely low temps, but they cost a lot more too
cattailcrusher

Unread postby cattailcrusher » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:58 am

I second what seazofcheeze said. Also make sure that there are no branches or grass in the way that could trigger your camera into taking picture's of nothing. I'm not sure on Wildgame's but different kinds of cameras have a lot higher trigger sensitivity than others. Since its your first one I would suggest hanging on a tree in your yard to get the hang of it.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:14 am

I run a few dozen cameras and honestly, its trial and error. I point them in every direction but it also depends on the cover its in, you really have to learn what you can get away with in the direction its pointed but open fields. Rarely do I ever get a camera that is triggered by the sun or "washed" pictures but I tend to have a fair amount of trees in the horizon.

I place some at 10 feet while others are at hip height. You don't get as many deer when its placed high and facing a trial but its a lot less likely to be spotted by deer or other hunters. Makes sure your straps are tied securely once it on the tree, you don't want to have 2 feet of strap moving in the wind. For you first camera, I'd place it somewhere that you think you'll get a fair amount of pictures, well used trail, field edge, etc. I think you'll enjoy it much more. Also, don't check the camera too often, we rarely check ours more than once every 6 weeks.

When it comes to batteries, use lithiums, it helps the camera perform much better. Also, use a high quality SD card, you can get some good ones off Amazon for less than $10. I use a 8GB personally but I don't run videos because I don't check my cameras that often.

Hopefully this helps a bit!
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:47 am

Don't constantly check it. Once you start getting pictures, you will want to check it all the time. Resist the temptation. Good luck!
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:06 am

DIY SPORTSMAN has done a video of a camera bracket that works pretty good. The parts come from a hardware store for 2 or 3 bucks. It will give you angle adjustment and more options for mounting.

Like was already said, look closely for branches or leaves that will false trigger the camera. And if you want to watch a trail with it, try to get an angle shot coming or going. When it is 90degree angle you can get but shots from delay walking past. Or no animal at all, just empty space.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:32 am

I havent used that model but test that cam out see what settings you like best. I have the cheaper Wildgames and they work better on video mode. Yours says rapid capture so might be better off than me with just pics.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:40 am

Thank you all for the replys.
I did just get back from setting it out in my front yard. We are 400 feet off the road so we see does and fawns out there regular. In fact as I was walking out to hang it a doe was walking out the drive way from down near thre creek.

Wife saw a buck out there about a week ago at dusk so couldn't tell how big the rack was but said body was huge.

alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:57 pm

Got first pictures off the card yesterday. Times are off by 12 hours as I didn't get the AM PM set till yesterday.

A doe.

Not sure what triggered it maybe a falling leaf, maybe the grass stem?

House cat tail.

A doe in the evening. sun spots?

A coon, though I had trapped them all out of the area.

possum, again I thoiught I had gotten rid of all these. I took out 39 from April to August 2018.

Again don't know what triggered it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”