Historic wind data????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Historic wind data????

Unread postby tim » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:16 am

So looking at weather underground it gives the direction and speed for the day... any sites that break it down hourly???

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: Historic wind data????

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:50 am

Just looked at WU...it has the 10 day and hourly....not sure about the phone app though.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:52 am

https://www.windfinder.com/#10/35.9180/-90.6509

This has some advanced wind features. Limited locations, but you might get lucky.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:01 pm

http://www.windy.com

My personal favorite is the windy site it has been very accurate within 3 days. I really like it since you can also see the wind for the entire area on a map not just one location.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/WINDcast.aspx

On the intellicast select your region this one is very accurate too. I use both all year since I fish Lake Michigan.

As far as historic wind data weather underground breaks it down hourly if you have areas near your location that are listed in the history. The farther back your looking the harder I've found it to get past wind data.

If your looking to get the most accurate info for a specific location you might consider just noting the direction yourself each day and any changes as in a N to S shift from am to PM etc.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 am

Not sure what the issue is but wunderground shows hourly wind direction.

Top bar> far right > click more > historical weather > find location > scroll down and there is a chart you can adjust per hour
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 am

it is not necessarily 100% accurate. I was watching the forecast and actual temps this past 4 days - it called for South winds. However, at a few of my locations it was actually SE. Not a big difference but enough. I always write down the winds at time of my hunts and compare and plan according. In the example above, I now have a not for those stand locations if they call for South winds in the future I know I can count on SE winds at the location. Terrain features like large lakes (treeless areas) deep ravines, foliage can all effect the wind direction at very specific locations.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:35 am

DaveT1963 wrote:it is not necessarily 100% accurate. I was watching the forecast and actual temps this past 4 days - it called for South winds. However, at a few of my locations it was actually SE.

Has the wind been Easterly for you guys as well this season? Most of Sept was Easterly winds for us... I think hurricanes have been bringing them in and I also noticed in some of my spots even when the wind direction is one thing, id still get those E currents.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:40 am

<DK> wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:it is not necessarily 100% accurate. I was watching the forecast and actual temps this past 4 days - it called for South winds. However, at a few of my locations it was actually SE.

Has the wind been Easterly for you guys as well this season? Most of Sept was Easterly winds for us... I think hurricanes have been bringing them in and I also noticed in some of my spots even when the wind direction is one thing, id still get those E currents.

I did notice some east swirling yesterday which was suppose to be constant SE winds.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Thanks for responses. I do see it has the hourly and more I wasn’t scrolling down far enough.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”