Hunting when sick

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Drenalin
500 Club

Re: Hunting when sick

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 am

I still go when I'm sick, simply because I want to be out there every time I have a chance. I try to keep in a cough drop in my mouth and water close by to prevent a coughing fit, but it doesn't always work. When "swine flu" was a thing, I got it and went out anyway. Was too weak to climb a tree, so I hunted from the ground and ended up falling asleep and waking up about an hour after dark. Sometimes it's worth it to get out, sometimes it's better to just stay home in bed.

comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:55 am

Josh_S wrote:
Buckbreath wrote:It depends a lot on weather for me. I've been in woods on days when it was church quiet and even I could hear guys coughing or sniffling from several hundred yards away. If it's rainy or windy I think you could get away with a lot more. I also have a cough muffler which actually does reduce noise of coughing to very little. However, if I get a head cold, my balance seems to get out of whack and up a tree is not a great idea when that happens.

thanks for the suggestion I may have to look into a cough muffler. Definitely could have used it last night.

You could always try the “deceiver” to muffle your cough. LOL :lol:
https://youtu.be/HY8PoQICenw
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 am

I have hunted while sick though between coughing sniffling I probably would have been better off and gotten over my illness faster if I hadn't gone out when i shouldn't.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Pse

Unread postby Pse » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:09 am

Last season I had a real bad cough right at the end of my vacation.I still went but the sightings went way down , the only way I could cut the coughing down was constantly eat cough sweets and drink water, between coughing, sniffing and peeing i was hunting of sorts it beat sitting in the hotel, I feel better outdoors anyway
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:08 am

I have pushed myself thru some pretty bad stuff just to get a hunt in. I figure the fresh air will do me good. :lol:

Only thing that ever kept me off stand was a nasty stomach virus in 2014 during the rut. I missed two prime days the first few days of November but went out after and still killed a good one.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:38 am

Rich M wrote:I'm a little confused - why go through all the effort to get in and set up close to a bed if you know you are gonna make noise?

Im a firm beleiver that if you dont make any metal on metal noises you can get away w alot more than you think. Still have to be smaret about it I guess. Just my .02
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 am

A cold is one thing, but the Flu/head cold stuff , I'm better off in a warm house. I need to be ready and if I'm not on my game( I need all I can get :lol: ),I'm just taking up space.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:28 pm

As it goes with many things in life, sometimes when you are feeling your worst you are actually at your best.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Stupid thread. Now I’m sick :puke-huge:

Just a head cold. Ain’t gonna hold me down
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:47 pm

If it's just a cold I am out there but if it's flu/chills I'm staying in. Not much fun when your sick.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:04 pm

This time of year, I probably would not go. Simply because I would not want to chance messing myself up for the rest of the season. During November, I will be in the tree no matter what.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Cuzzinfish wrote:For me, it depends on what kind of sick I am. A cold? I’m probably going. Stomach/bowel problems? I’m not spraying from the stand/spot every few minutes and getting dehydrated just to kill a deer.

:lol: one of the times my tree saddle would not come in handy :lol:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:05 pm

With an immune system that’s in the dumps I usually land myself in the er pushing myself to the limits .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”