Public land, whens to much?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HankItCountry

Public land, whens to much?

Unread postby HankItCountry » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:39 pm

So I hunt Public in Southwest Mississippi. New to the Beast style of huntin' & loving it & learning all I can through Dan's utube & the guys at "The Hunting Public".
I did some major scouting a few weeks ago, found 2 different marsh bedding spots loaded with tracks & believed bedding area. I've set up cameras to monitor trails. Problem is that here down south, bucks are just now loosing velvet & probably starting making rubs this week. The last 2-3 weeks only sign I can go off of are tracks. Bucks just weren't making sign yet. But expect that to change this week. Do I continue to go check these spots once a week looking for buck sign or stay out? I want to hunt it with fresh sign but worried if I keep going back looking for sign that it may be to much pressure. What are your thoughts?
No sign of other bow hunters where I'm at. One marsh is about 18 acres other is about 8 acres, both with oaks now dropping within 20 yds.

Dpierce72
500 Club

Re: Public land, whens to much?

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:50 pm

limit intrusion
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:56 pm

Old rubs can be helpful. It shows bucks have used the area in the past. I also hunt in your area. This weekend I'll be across the river from you. I've jumped some bucks out their beds this summer scouting. I haven't been back since. I'd caution you about going in every week. I think you will pressure the area too moch and force the deer to a different location. Maybe sit back a 100-200 yards and glass. Or just go where you think they are and hunt. But......weather you are sitting an observation stand or hunting, too much pressure in one area is bad. Part of Beast tactics is having multiple spots and use the wind to your advantage.

Good luck.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:05 am

It can be a catch 22 at times, you want to hunt the fresh sign but sometimes you have to get to where you are hunting to know if they are there, often on remote spots you just have to guess and hunt it and see what happens. I sometimes try and scout some high ground around the edges of the bedding a good distance away and see if there is any good sign in that area, then I know a good buck is around and I can jump into some remote bedding with a little intel. Otherwise you can let your camera do some scouting for you and then hop in there when you feel the timing might be right and give it a hunt a check your cams to see what they are telling you.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:14 am

The spots you trust what you found stay out until you hunt. I know it’s a human thing to want to check out the big fresh sign in our hunting areas trust your spots.

You can scout new areas midday and learn those you will find other great spots for gun season.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
noxninja

Unread postby noxninja » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:07 am

Due to how the weather conditions can be this time of year, I do all of my "scouting" the previous year (as well as turkey season-this gives me an idea as to what the area looks like leafed out) and only hunt those areas when the conditions are favorable during the next season. I mark trees with my GPS, (along with notes on wind direction, food sources, direction of deer travel) on the potential site. In other words I am in a constant state of information gathering.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:19 am

1st sit is the best sit. Each time you go in there counts as a sit whether you hunt it then or not. Same for checking cams too close to bedding. My goal is to locate these areas months ahead of time, or “blind” and scout in and hunt right then and there. If I’m scouting into known bedding that I’ve never hunted and am not seeing sign, I’ll assume it’s the wrong time of year, back out, and try again during a different phase of the season. Sometimes it’s hot when I go back, sometimes there’s new cold sign. Either way I’m learning more for successive years and not over pressuring the beds.

You can locate bedding and hunt it within the week, but you’re burning it a little each time. Looks like the THP guys are successful with this strategy when traveling to new public land, but they’re also hunting it immediately, often pushing in closer to bedding each concurrent hunt, or a different exit route.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:32 am

See if you can do an observation sit, without damaging the core area. I also hunt lower west Mississippi & Louisiana. Good luck this season.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:36 am

take what you know and go for the kill i check the winds pick a bed and dive in sometimes i guess right sometimes i guess wrong but once i hit it i take notes and try later in season till it works or till i decide its not what i thought it was. do this for a couple years and it gets way better and more consistent.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”