Lone Wolf one strap or two?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Lone Wolf one strap or two?

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:15 pm

Are you guys using one strap on your lone wolfs when you hang them or two? I have assaults and alphas. What you guys using?

Earn what’s never given.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Lone Wolf one strap or two?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:17 pm

One
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:23 pm

XOP but the lower versa button is utterly pointless. A strap run through the corners of the platform adds far more stability than the lower button. And it bears no weight, just stabilizes, so a light strap is fine. I use mine with a saddle so I need the stability.

If just using as a conventional stand, the vast majority of trees the top strap is fine.

There's also a move Dan and others refer to as camming or toe hooking, if you search for it there are videos. I don't like it but the idea is to lock the platform teeth into the tree using leverage.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:25 pm

1 and cam lock it. There are plenty of threads here explaining this process in detail. You could also look at dans YouTube page.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:26 pm

elk yinzer wrote:XOP but the lower versa button is utterly pointless. A strap run through the corners of the platform adds far more stability than the lower button. And it bears no weight, just stabilizes, so a light strap is fine. I use mine with a saddle so I need the stability.

If just using as a conventional stand, the vast majority of trees the top strap is fine.

There's also a move Dan and others refer to as camming or toe hooking, if you search for it there are videos. I don't like it but the idea is to lock the platform teeth into the tree using leverage.

Ya that move I learned from dan yeara ago i do it with my alpha but never tried it with my assault
Earn what’s never given.
Enkriss
500 Club

Unread postby Enkriss » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:33 pm

I only use one. If I was using an older narrow back assault or vanish XT I might use 2 to mitigate kick out.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:43 pm

I used 1 strap. When setting up the stand, I attach the strap and get it snug...I then fold the platform and lift the stand slightly and crank down on the strap again...I then get in and cam lock it. By cam lock, you kneel on the seat, hug the tree and with 1 foot, get your toes under the platform and slowly raise it up. The stand will creep down a bit..push the platform back down and stand on it. It should be Rock solid and not make any noise.

The first move I do seems to help get it tightened up...there's been a few times on goody trees where it wanted to kick out when I went to step on it from the sticks. That seemed to have helped that issue.
Trout1

Unread postby Trout1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:50 pm

One
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Enkriss wrote:I only use one. If I was using an older narrow back assault or vanish XT I might use 2 to mitigate kick out.

I have a narrow back assault and I only need 1. I carry 2 after a particularly nasty tree last year where I really could have used it. Was shaped like a tom brady football. Cam locking got the batwing tight but was darn near impossible to get it tight and have that narrow back hit the tree with 2 points. I just avoid that particular tree and hunt from one 10' away when I'm in that spot.

I might use two straps if I'm really going for a saddle hunt, but I'm going to try my assault on ground level with one strap to see how it does with side pressure after cam locking it, and see if its worth it. I will still cam lock before adding second strap. Would only serve as an aid for the side pressure of leaning out for a shot
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:41 pm

1 strap and cam lock with Alpha

1 strap and cam lock with Assault then add the second strap after. This stand is a little narrower than the Alpha so is prone to kick out at times with side pressure. Bottom strap will help prevent that.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Jonny wrote:
Enkriss wrote:I only use one. If I was using an older narrow back assault or vanish XT I might use 2 to mitigate kick out.

I have a narrow back assault and I only need 1. I carry 2 after a particularly nasty tree last year where I really could have used it. Was shaped like a tom brady football. Cam locking got the batwing tight but was darn near impossible to get it tight and have that narrow back hit the tree with 2 points. I just avoid that particular tree and hunt from one 10' away when I'm in that spot.

I might use two straps if I'm really going for a saddle hunt, but I'm going to try my assault on ground level with one strap to see how it does with side pressure after cam locking it, and see if its worth it. I will still cam lock before adding second strap. Would only serve as an aid for the side pressure of leaning out for a shot

Ive never heard of a deflated tree.. :lol:
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:07 am

I was debating this very thing in my mind the other day. Seems 1 strap and cam lock is the way to go.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:29 am

I use 2. When I tried it with one I felt like the platform could still shift side to side, and made me uncomfortable.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:31 am

elk yinzer wrote:XOP but the lower versa button is utterly pointless. A strap run through the corners of the platform adds far more stability than the lower button. And it bears no weight, just stabilizes, so a light strap is fine. I use mine with a saddle so I need the stability.

If you lift up the platform about 30* then tighten the bottom strap then push the platform back flat it locks down tight
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:36 am

Jeff25 wrote:

If you lift up the platform about 30* then tighten the bottom strap then push the platform back flat it locks down tight

be very careful if you are doing this with the bottom strap. i have seen the posts bend cam locking with the bottom strap.

I would suggest using the top strap and flipping the platform up, then lowering it and getting in the stand, then put all your weight on the seat and flip the platform up again and it will get much, much tighter. this way you do not have to worry about the tube being bent.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”