Timing your sit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wild public
Facebook: Joe Mckinney

Timing your sit

Unread postby Wild public » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:19 pm

So I have a question for the more experienced beast..I’m new to this type of hunting. Here’s my delima. I located a really good bedding area off of a point last winter as season was near ending . I had my eyes on 2 really good deer. A 150 class 8 pointer and a 130 class 10 pointer. Given the sign I’m confident one of them was using it regularly.. I’ve been sitting back waiting for some indication they had moved back in. I got confirmation yesterday. Huge rub line opened up leading down to the point . My delima is this. He could bed there on any west wind. I need a southwest wind to get in and set up. I’m supposed to get that Saturday..there is also 50% chance of rain and some wind. (Which I really feel I need to get in and set up 80 yards from where he should be bedded) only problem is it’s supposed to be 85 degrees that day. If I pressure this deer there are other bedding Areas around I can hunt if he moves into them. But can’t get as close as this one ..should I hunt that day or wait for cooler temps and hope for some sound cover when we get them..?.. this is public ground so the clock is ticking ..the 7 day forecast doesn’t show a huntable wind in the future. What’s everyone’s thoughts ? Thx in advance

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Timing your sit

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:03 pm

if the buck is there go in for the kill if i know a buck is where i want him ill be calling out of work that day 8-)
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:06 pm

He doesn’t need to move far if you’re hunting his bedding.
If you have reason to believe he is there and you have the conditions you need to hunt the area I would say hunt.
HBright78

Unread postby HBright78 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Go get him. Don't allow other variables to be introduced like other hunters and such.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:14 pm

Go for it. Rain might be the only way to get that close. Those deer still move in the bedding area when it’s that hot. Good luck!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:18 pm

I'd go for it. Like dan's says hunt the fresh sign. If you got a good rub line opened I'd jump on it.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Wild public
Facebook: Joe Mckinney

Unread postby Wild public » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:27 pm

Thx for everyone’s input. I think it’s unanimous. Lol. If everything holds as forecasted I’ll probably be going after him. We will see what happens ,just knowing one of them is bedding there makes me nervous..but if I mess up hopefully I’ll learn something.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Nothing good ever happens without proper timing. There is also no such thing as a fool proof plan, we weigh the odds and make educated guesses. When we fail we try to figure out why and form a better plans for next time. IMO the most important info a guy can have is the current location of a buck he cares to tag. Go for the gusto, if u screw the pooch oh well lot of season left!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Go for it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”