Peninsula into a lake

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fightingbear

Peninsula into a lake

Unread postby fightingbear » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:02 am

I'm currently hunting a lease that has about a 25 acre lake in the center. The lake is much longer than wide by a considerable degree. On the north end, close to where a creek flows in, a small peninsula of maybe 2 or 3 acres cuts into the lake. I haven't gone in to verify for this season, but with other movement I've noticed, I'm fairly certain deer are bedding in that area. I understand that bucks will bed with an obstacle at their backs as well as the wind. My question is, if bedding in the peninsula, that faces south, wouldn't the deer like that bed with a north wind so he could smell what is coming into his area from the north? I would think that typically the south wind would be preferred, but with a more impenetrable barrier of the lake, I would think he would be more concerned with smells from the north.

Does anyone have experience with this situation?

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Peninsula into a lake

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:24 am

If the peninsula is facing south( I am envisioning a "U" shaped land mass," The the deer will bed on the point of that peninsula with a north wind. They want to be able to see and smell whats coming from dry land. They are usually not concerned with predators coming from the water.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
fightingbear

Unread postby fightingbear » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:19 am

Thanks for confirming that, NorthStar. Unfortunately, that will make for a tough situation to hunt, with scent blowing into the bed. I guess I might need to look for a change in wind after deer has already bedded down for the day.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:06 am

I guess I would need to see a map of this location but I am guessing there has to be a way to access this with a crosswind. For example, if the wind is out of the northwest, you could hug the eastern shoreline (so that your scent is getting blown into the lake) to get close to where you think he could be bedding and set up.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
Trout1

Unread postby Trout1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:03 am

I’ve got a few scenarios similar to this where I hunt. I haven’t tried to hunt them yet. In my newb brain I’ve always imagined that deer would avoid these peninsulas as they may feel ‘trapped’ with the lake behind them with no escape but forward. Any validity to this?
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Trout1 wrote:I’ve got a few scenarios similar to this where I hunt. I haven’t tried to hunt them yet. In my newb brain I’ve always imagined that deer would avoid these peninsulas as they may feel ‘trapped’ with the lake behind them with no escape but forward. Any validity to this?

I will say that I have had better luck hunting peninsulas where the deer can easily cross the water feature if felt threatened. I can think of an oxbow near my house where I have seen deer bed in a situation like this. I still think it’s worth a hunt and do as much scouting for fresh sign on the way in.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:15 pm

They will likely bed there but they won't be out on that point, like others mentioned they are kind of trapped out there, they love lakes because of the thermals but they need escape routes too.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:49 pm

That's what I do. Slightly off wind, approaching on the slightly downwind side. Mostly in the deer's advantage, but just slightly vulnerable on that side.

The one time I got busted on my approach was due to a fisherman in a boat working his way towards us. I failed to account that the buck might not stay still. He retreated from the slowly approaching boat down from the tip of the peninsula and saw me.

I find this bedding used more before leaf drop and before gun season in my area. Makes for a beautiful sit right on the water's edge. Hopefully that's helpful.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Just to add, the one I described above is 100 feet wide throughout and 200 feet wide at the base. 400 feet long, very thick cover, mostly willows and grass. Lots of satellite bedding at the base. Makes for a lot of security. That is the best one I have found.

I've seen bedding on other peninsulas by the lake, but not narrow ones and related to mast there.

I do think it takes a certain width and characteristics. But if it is thick and a bear to get in quietly, without much reason for humans to go in there, it may be worth checking out.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
fightingbear

Unread postby fightingbear » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 am

Thanks for all of the good information. Really good tip about how they probably won't be out on the point. That helps me not dive too far in. And knowing that I can hopefully catch a NW wind and set up on the east side. Also. That area of the lake is almost like a slough. Very short distance to neighboring land and shallow.
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:02 am

A canoe or kayak can get you in the backdoor! Go slowly and avoid banging your paddle/oar against the vessel.
kfili
Facebook: Kevin Filiberto

Unread postby kfili » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:09 am

Would deer still bed if it was a larger lake that deer were unlikely to swim across? Or would they most likely bed somewhere further from the water with a better escape route?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”