Deer Rut low density areas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckless Yooper

Deer Rut low density areas

Unread postby Buckless Yooper » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:10 am

First timer here with a rut question.

When hunting low deer density ( est 2-4 deer per square mile) is the rut time frame significantly shorter than higher density area?

I'm presuming it is, but wondered what the HB crew thought.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Deer Rut low density areas

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:45 am

The peak of the rut might be shorter and have more specific timing, deer that are born too early or too late won't be passing on their genes as often when those hard winters hit. The older bucks seem to know this and don't go running around all crazy like some of the other deer. We have shot most of our older rut bucks from Nov 7th to the 14th, after that you kind of hit lock down and you really need to be on top of things to find the deer after mid-Nov.

You will also see mature does leave their fawns behind and group up, it's not uncommon where I hunt to see groups of 2-5 mature does all hanging out and traveling together. I think it makes for more efficient breeding in low density areas.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:59 am

I don't think it has anything to do with the timing of the rut, I think that is a bell curve no matter where you are.

I do think it condenses the deer into certain areas, and amplifies the ebbs and flows related to our little observations into their world. The does go to areas where they know a buck is going to find them. I know areas every year that don't hold all that many deer throughout the year, then just blow up with sign during the rut. When there is a hot doe every buck for miles is going to be dogging her. I guess it can amplify the hot/cold effect compared to areas with denser populations. If that hot doe happens to be two miles away you are probably in for a slow day.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:21 am

elk yinzer wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with the timing of the rut, I think that is a bell curve no matter where you are.

There certainly will be a bit of a bell curve but these northern areas are very different than the rest of the county. The further north you get of the 45th parallell the more specific the breeding dates need to be to survive the much longer/harder winters. Only northern MN, WI the UP, northern Maine and Canada probably see this kind of narrow rut window. Not that deer don't get bread earlier and later, it's just that many of them don't survive that first winter to pass on their genes. Born too early, your dead, born too late, your dead. It also explains why the rut is all over the place down south, the timing doesn't matter as much.

elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:08 am

He's asking if deer density affects the timing of the rut, not latitude. Obviously not talking about those weird Southern deer here. PA is a good case study because we have all sorts of different terrain types, and I've hunted farm country with 50+ dpsm and big woods with less than 10 dpsm.

Deer density does not affect rut timing if we are talking actual estrous/conception dates. That has been biologically proven over and over to be driven by photoperiod. However, it may affect buck activity. In my view low density does kick start buck activity a little earlier, because they have to be more aggressive and mobile, cover more ground to find does to breed.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:48 am

I feel in low deer density areas (and I mean low) it prolongs the rut. The deer are spread so thin a lot of doe's don't get bred the first time around, so they continue to cycle every 28 days until a buck finds them. My opinion is based on hunting in the funky south but I see it every year.

However, peak dates should remain the same. In any given area the majority of the doe's will all come in around the same time every year reguardless of density.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:59 am

elk yinzer wrote:He's asking if deer density affects the timing of the rut, not latitude. Obviously not talking about those weird Southern deer here. PA is a good case study because we have all sorts of different terrain types, and I've hunted farm country with 50+ dpsm and big woods with less than 10 dpsm.

Deer density does not affect rut timing if we are talking actual estrous/conception dates. That has been biologically proven over and over to be driven by photoperiod. However, it may affect buck activity. In my view low density does kick start buck activity a little earlier, because they have to be more aggressive and mobile, cover more ground to find does to breed.

He is a Yooper, we hunt the same woods, latitude/winter comes into play up here so I was describing how the rut works much further north, its not like the rest of the Midwest up here, very different worlds. Honestly the older bucks are far less aggressive, there are very few of them that survive rifle season, wolves and the winter, when they reach maturity they usually have their pick of the does so there is far less competition. When the overall deer numbers are up then you do see more competition but that doesn't happen too often. Photoperiod is correct but the winter affects the rut up here because the timing of the new born fawns needs to be perfect for the deer to survive, any early and late born deer and their genetics often die young. If you don't believe me drive up to the norther tip of Maine and check out their rut. I'm not saying it is vastly different, just a little more condensed and not as drawn out because of the winters, not the density. The harshest of PA winters would be considered extremely mild up here, some years we have deep snow from Nov into May, some years we can't fish in the MN opener because the lakes are froze up, it affects all wildlife.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:22 am

In the up I think it’s more of a trickle than most places with the week of thanksgiving having the most chasing. From what I’ve seen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”