Arrow hits on bucks that’s leave no blood.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Arrow hits on bucks that’s leave no blood.

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:58 am

One of my best bow bucks was shot a little high and hit shoulder. Ran off with a bunch of arrow still hanging out on the entry side. No exit hole. One of the toughest tracking jobs I’ve been on. Went off of tracks until I lost them and started making circles. After 125 yards or so he filled up with enough blood he bled out of the entry hole. Found him dead within 30 yards of where I found blood. Double lung with no exit but it was a tough track. Good luck on finding him.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:41 am

Is there a possibility that you could have hit the tree? If so, that could have shut off or broke your illuminok. If you hit the deer, for sure, the loud thwack would be shoulder, as previously mentioned. High hits with no exit are tough. If you don't find blood, I would locate a tracking dog. Unless I see or hear the deer go down, I won't look for PM bow shot deer until the next morning. As long as conditions allow. Good luck finding your buck. :pray:
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:47 am

Worth mentioning. My brother hit a buck about 10 years ago. He watched arrow go through animal at 10 yards. No Blood. So it does happen. I always play off reaction of deer. Good luck.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:13 am

I would think that if you whacked a tree with your arrow, you would find the arrow stuck in the tree, and then you can cross a lot of stuff off. If you don't find it in the tree, search the ground really well and see if you can find that arrow. My bro in law shot a doe this weekend and the luminock didn't engage even though he double lunged the doe. If you can't find the arrow in the ground, clear your schedule, find a dog if possible and hope to find some blood. Good luck man!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:18 am

One of the limbs I shot through deflected the arrow I found it this morning in a tree stump.

Let’s just say I guarantee that limb will never block another arrow.

Good news is I was on the bucks bad news is limbs are bad karma. Note to self prune the entire forest.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:23 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:One of the limbs I shot through deflected the arrow I found it this morning in a tree stump.

Good news is I was on the bucks bad news is limbs are bad karma. Note to self prune the entire forest.

Well at least you know "the rest of the story" now! Keep after it!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 am

A clean miss is always better than a bad hit. At least you know for sure what happened.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:26 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:A clean miss is always better than a bad hit. At least you know for sure what happened.

Bob

Yep, gimme a clean miss any day over a shoulder shot buck... Did it one time years ago. Not my idea of fun.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:45 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:A clean miss is always better than a bad hit. At least you know for sure what happened.

Bob

X2
I'll take a clean miss any day.

Now get out there and redeem yourself on an even bigger buck. ;)
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:51 am

I would be very happy to have that closure if I was you. All good learning lessons. Get back in there and get him!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:17 am

If you can, try to follow his tracks. It may be really tough, but it’s not a race. If he’s dead, he’ll be there when you get there. Look at everything. All you need is one drop of blood to confirm the hit. Don’t walk on his sign. Go track to track til you find him or determine he is indeed not hit. Best of luck.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:07 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:One of the limbs I shot through deflected the arrow I found it this morning in a tree stump.

Just to be clear is was a complete miss right? No blood on the arrow?
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:42 am

Luckiest buck in the woods on that day. I have a feeling he won’t be so lucky next time.
Trout1

Unread postby Trout1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:10 am

Whew! Bummer on losing the buck. Glad he’s alive and well. Makes him even more of a target for you. Can’t wait to hear the rest of this story!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:36 am

May be a silly question but was the lumenock new or used before? If new did you test it? I reused an arrow with a lumenock last year and shot two deer the same week. The second time around it never came on. After examining it I found it had blood in the contact preventing it from coming on.
Maybe try expanding your search area at night, those lumenocks sure stand out in the dark. If no luck maybe call in the dogs or a search party. Sounds like a shoulder shot but hard to tell. If the hole isn't open you wont see much blood.
And lastly if it is worth mucking things up check known bedding areas or check your cameras if using them. Good luck, been in your shoes before.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”