What should I see along the run on a military crest?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

_Swamp_Stalker_

What should I see along the run on a military crest?

Unread postby _Swamp_Stalker_ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:05 am

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to the beast. I'm a ground hunter, who has been a typical find sign and hunt it style hunter my whole life. I'm trying to change that, but I'm completely overwhelmed by the knowledge on this site!

On a tract of public land where I hunt, about a mile and a half in, there is a very good size hill. On the steep cliff-side (SE) is a big swamp, and on the NW side is thick nasty, nasty thick mountain laurel leading into a swamp.

I've found the military crest on the SE side, and of course there is a Run on it. This is where my lack of knowledge comes into play!

(This area recieves very little archery pressure besides myself. I've honestly not run into another bowhunter in the past two seasons or saw signs of any.)

What should I expect to see on this run? Rubs? Do bucks use these runs outside of the rut? If so, Is this why I didn't see any decent sign?

I've scouted it last year (late october in the pouring rain) and saw no major buck signs. There were a few small saplings torn up, and some hoof prints and decent droppings. I hunted it once right before November, and saw nothing.

Most of the land I hunt is a gradual sloping downward hill. (Lower right hand corner of the map type terrain, I don't usually hunt this hill I'm mentioning) No major land features. A few small hills, Very thick undergrowth (mountain laurels and princess pines. I'm clueless trying to find buck beds in these conditions. I know there are big bucks in the area, (for New England) I've caught a few on trail cameras at funnels in the thick stuff.

Here's a pic of the topo map. The yellow line +/- is where I found the run. Access is from the south following the black dashed line.

It makes sense, the predominant wind comes over the military crest, and the thermals rise from the swamp below, creating the tunnel.
I set up 15 yards below the run. in a blowdown. I know thermals can bust me, but by the time he catches my scent, I'm thinking he will have an arrow through him.
here's a pic of the setup:

Thoughts? Should I have seen more sign? Will I not see sign until the rut? Am I wasting my time? I appreciate any input.

Joe

Joe
kfili
Facebook: Kevin Filiberto

Re: What should I see along the run on a military crest?

Unread postby kfili » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:01 am

Hey Joe, (Nice to see a friendly face)
Is the primary wind coming from the NE, so the run is on the leeward side of the hill?
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 am

kfili wrote:Hey Joe, (Nice to see a friendly face)
Is the primary wind coming from the NE, so the run is on the leeward side of the hill?

Do you mean wind coming from the NW? A west or NW or SW would all make that a leeward hill, and I believe that is what he said in the post, that it was a leeward slope.

That is where I would expect to find a buck cruising trail, and bedding. If you can find doe bedding, and hunt that trail in between doe bedding during the rut it should produce. But I would not hunt it if the sign/tracks are not there. If the cliffs funnel deer down then hunting just above them can be really good, or on one end like close to where the yellow line meets the dashed line.

I would want to setup above or below depending on wind and let the thermals/wind keep the deer from smelling me. You say if a buck walks by he won't wind you because you will have already shot him. But the problem is if other deer come by before the buck and smell you and blow and spook everything on the ridge away.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:16 am

Often times i will find it by rubs...old and new. The thermal tunnel can vary depending on wind direction/speed/thermals which can slightly alter deer travel. It's generally somewhere around the top 1/3rd elevation.

That's where you'll find the buck bedding and daylight travel. During the seeking/cruising period, that's where the bucks will be traveling during the day. There isn't always distinct visible trail..but I usually see rubs along it.
kfili
Facebook: Kevin Filiberto

Unread postby kfili » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 am

kfili wrote:Hey Joe, (Nice to see a friendly face)

EDIT I meant NW
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:09 pm

check the saddle for scrapes and check the north ends of the 850 lines for clusters of rubs. if there is good cover on west side check that for beds. i could see a big buck bedding on west side because he ran make a mad dash down in the swamp too escape also check that swamp edge for heavy runs spots like that with swamp below could also be great for late season. you will prob find rubs headed up hill from that swamp its a classic way a buck will come up too bed in mornings. he will skirt that swamp using the extra heavy thermals too bed. looks like a old road bed down there too could make a good scrape line. also check that little point jutting out into the swamp could make a good crossing funnel.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm

i could also see the north 850 line holding does and the middle and south lines being buck bedding. bucks love tight ridge lines with little humps and bumps allows them too reset how they are facing for wind without moving far. check under all the hemlock trees for beds too they love the overhead cover.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
_Swamp_Stalker_

Unread postby _Swamp_Stalker_ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone! Being in a tree would be ideal, but due to health issues I have to remain grounded! I might take a walk in the rain tomorrow up there to do some scouting and investigate some of the things mentioned. The bedding on the west side makes sense, the wind to his back and a clear view of the saddle, he has many escape routes. Might just have to hop into the thick stuff and see what's in there!
Joe
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:41 am

This is a good topic, as I am in a similar situation. I will be following this thread closely.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
_Swamp_Stalker_

Unread postby _Swamp_Stalker_ » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:56 am

I wasn't able to get over to the hill today. I hunted in the morning till 10, and was cold and wet. Monday Is the next time I can get out. I'll take pics of the area and what I find.
Joe
_Swamp_Stalker_

Unread postby _Swamp_Stalker_ » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:29 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46931

^^^This thread really has me thinking...It could be a high doe to buck ratio, and there is an over abundance of thick cover
Joe

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”