secluded oak islands- new to hunting them...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Chuck B
500 Club

secluded oak islands- new to hunting them...

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:50 am

All you hardcore beasters out there; So, after doing some cyber scouting, I have gotten wet and down and dirty taking trips to two different secluded islands (hunting northwestern WI) that have good amount of oak trees on them this year. Both times, came up empty on seeing deer. And, both of them have excellent past sign (highway like trails through the marsh between the islands) and good trails on the islands. However, there was pretty much zero fresh sign on these islands. No poop, no new rubs or scrapes, nothing. With that being said, I would have kept moving on both hunts, but I was already pot committed both times so ended up sitting them. What is your guys' experience with these oak islands and timing of hunting there? Will they just move out there more when hunting pressure picks up? Obviously, Dan and Joe were successful with their secluded oak islands on the challenge hunt in MN. I plan on hitting these up again later in the year to get boots on the ground again for scouting and hunting, but I wanted to pick the brains of some of you more experienced guys in this sort of hunting.

If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Dewey

Re: secluded oak islands- new to hunting them...

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:43 am

Around here in SE WI secluded oaks on islands are pretty much cleaned up already. These are generally white oaks that start dropping mid-late August and are only good the first few weeks of the bow season. Red oaks are still dropping but are not nearly as desireable especially if there are competing crop fields. At least that’s what I see around here. Gotta hit the secluded oaks very early. All the deer I saw this weekend were walking right past all the hardwoods and heading directly to the surrounding farmland to feed especially now that some corn is getting chopped. The window for oaks has pretty much passed here.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:53 am

Acorns are still falling by me in west central Wisconsin but the fresh sign is gone. Couple does coming in after dark but everything is a week plus old. The “lull” is starting.

Know where the oaks are. Hit them the first 2 weeks of the season. But you answered your own question. If the sign ain’t there, you shouldn’t be there either. Just keep on moving. Maybe you find something, maybe you don’t. But I haven’t had much luck seeing deer in areas with no sign. And believe me, I’ve tried it.
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:02 am

Dewey wrote:Around here in SE WI secluded oaks on islands are pretty much cleaned up already. These are generally white oaks that start dropping mid-late August and are only good the first few weeks of the bow season. Red oaks are still dropping but are not nearly as desireable especially if there are competing crop fields. At least that’s what I see around here. Gotta hit the secluded oaks very early. All the deer I saw this weekend were walking right past all the hardwoods and heading directly to the surrounding farmland to feed especially now that some corn is getting chopped. The window for oaks has pretty much passed here.

I hear ya. However, there are still plenty of acorns on the ground on these islands. And there are no nearby competing crops (big public tract). Perhaps these are just the red oak acorns :think: that aren't as desirable. hmmm.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:05 am

Jonny wrote:Acorns are still falling by me in west central Wisconsin but the fresh sign is gone. Couple does coming in after dark but everything is a week plus old. The “lull” is starting.

Know where the oaks are. Hit them the first 2 weeks of the season. But you answered your own question. If the sign ain’t there, you shouldn’t be there either. Just keep on moving. Maybe you find something, maybe you don’t. But I haven’t had much luck seeing deer in areas with no sign. And believe me, I’ve tried it.

I hear ya, the sign isn't there, don't hunt it. But, just trying to figure out why. Its like they haven't been there at all this season (not even seeing any weeks-old sign, so trying to see if anyone has seen anything similar. I should have brought a camera with so at least have intel for future years. I will try to get back out there again in November after pressure hits a bit and see if any fresh sign is present at that time.
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:47 am

Dewey wrote:Around here in SE WI secluded oaks on islands are pretty much cleaned up already. These are generally white oaks that start dropping mid-late August and are only good the first few weeks of the bow season. Red oaks are still dropping but are not nearly as desireable especially if there are competing crop fields. At least that’s what I see around here. Gotta hit the secluded oaks very early. All the deer I saw this weekend were walking right past all the hardwoods and heading directly to the surrounding farmland to feed especially now that some corn is getting chopped. The window for oaks has pretty much passed here.

Yea thats pretty much what I saw this past weekend. The rubs around the oaks appeared to be at least a week old. The deer where going to AG fields. I saw 1 small buck and 3 does yesterday didn't even bother with oaks. Actually about 7 days into the Wis season I was sitting over a lone White oak and all the deer came right to the oak except the 2 mature bucks that walked by about 60 yds out to hit a still green bean field about 500 yds away :doh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”