onX question #2

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

onX question #2

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:40 am

I downloaded onX for the free trial.
I absolutely hate the solid layers. I did find how to adjust transparency but it still makes it real hard to see detail on aerial photos. Am I missing something? can I adjust this while zooming in or something else? This makes it almost not worth having. I will have to navigate away to a different source to be able to see good detail.

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Re: onX question #2

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:54 am

magicman54494 wrote:I downloaded onX for the free trial.
I absolutely hate the solid layers. I did find how to adjust transparency but it still makes it real hard to see detail on aerial photos. Am I missing something? can I adjust this while zooming in or something else? This makes it almost not worth having. I will have to navigate away to a different source to be able to see good detail.

As long as you're familiar with the public boundaries, you can turn those layers right off. Otherwise, I do notice that the detail on OnX aren't as good as they are on Google Earth or Caltopo, etc.
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:10 am

I feel like I have better clarity on my desktop for OnX. On my phone I often using ScoutLook to see the trails in marshes better
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:16 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:

As long as you're familiar with the public boundaries, you can turn those layers right off. Otherwise, I do notice that the detail on OnX aren't as good as they are on Google Earth or Caltopo, etc.

I turned off every layer that I had on and there are city land in a cream color and wildlife area in light blue that still remain. Is there a way to turn these off?
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:33 am

magicman54494 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:

I turned off every layer that I had on and there are city land in a cream color and wildlife area in light blue that still remain. Is there a way to turn these off?

Click on Map Layers
Click on your State
Make sure all layers are turned off

If you have multiple States in your layer, be sure they are all turned off as well just to be sure.

Let me know if that works. If it doesn't throw me a PM and give me an example of what you are seeing.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:37 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:

Click on Map Layers
Click on your State
Make sure all layers are turned off

If you have multiple States in your layer, be sure they are all turned off as well just to be sure.

Let me know if that works. If it doesn't throw me a PM and give me an example of what you are seeing.

I closed the app then reopened it and they were gone. they were part of the state lands layer. it seems to work better now for some reason.
thanks.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:39 am

next question:
If I create an off line map are the layer transparencies adjustable or do I need to have them preset before saving a map?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 am

I do love the overlay of aerial and topo!
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 am

magicman54494 wrote:next question:
If I create an off line map are the layer transparencies adjustable or do I need to have them preset before saving a map?

Yes you can adjust after you save the map.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:46 am

magicman54494 wrote:I do love the overlay of aerial and topo!

I do love the overlay and the topo lines are amazing. You can just tell on your phone that the quality isn't as good as they are on Google Earth, but it could be my phone because it is pretty old, it's not a flip phone though! Only the BBSK himself has a flip phone still :lol:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am

I noticed that on a different app (a competitor) the shading disappeared at a certain level of zoom. has onx considered this? I like that system much more.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:54 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I noticed that on a different app (a competitor) the shading disappeared at a certain level of zoom. has onx considered this? I like that system much more.

Let them know. They seemed very open and responsive when I talked to them.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:13 pm

there is no option to order by the month per state in the app. there is also nowhere to add a promo code. where do i go to do this?
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:51 pm

magicman54494 wrote:there is no option to order by the month per state in the app. there is also nowhere to add a promo code. where do i go to do this?

There should be. I am wondering if you should give it all a try once your free trial ends. There is definitely a promo code option when doing your membership.

https://onxmapssupport.zendesk.com/hc/e ... omo-codes-
https://onxmapssupport.zendesk.com/hc/e ... -onX-Hunt-
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:55 pm

The map clarity used to be better on a phone.
A year or so ago it changed for some reason.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”