A tracking tale

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowtarist

A tracking tale

Unread postby bowtarist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:09 am

I thought I'd share a tracking story with you guys. I live in North Alabama and track wounded deer with my Original Mountain Cur, Spark. Here's one from last night.

I got a call last night around 8. The hunter had shot his target buck at 5 yards. He watched the buck run off into a clover patch with his arrow still in him. The buck stood in the clover patch for around 10 minutes and tore off out of sight up the mtn.

He makes a few calls and gets referred to me. He explains the situation and tell him to give me some time to get everything together and I'll be on my way. Spark knows what were headed to do as she's sitting in her spot in the back seat, whining and looking intently out the windshield.

We get to the hit site around 9:15. The hunter is showing me roughly where the buck was standing as I'm putting her tracking collar on. We cross a fence to get to the last place he seen the buck. The hunter asks me how she knows the difference in a live deer and a dead deer because she just left a different way than he saw the buck go. As I explain how she knows, my Alpha buzzes to let me know she's found him already. I look up the hill and can see this massive main beam sticking off the ground about 80 yards away. I tell the hunter "there's your deer!" and it's all high fives from there.

I love being a small part of these recoveries. I have been on the losing end of not finding a buck you've been after. When you've lost all hope and one of our dogs is the only hope you have left. Seeing the faces of the hunters is what drives us to keep going. Watching our dogs do what they love so much is in there as well. I got to share this track with my favorite tracking partner, my son Easton. He will be quite the tracker when he gains another 100 pounds and doesn't let Spark drag him around like a Budweiser Clydesdale!ot a call last night around 8. The hunter had shot his target buck at 5 yards. He watched the buck run off into a clover patch with his arrow still in him. The buck stood in the clover patch for around 10 minutes and tore off out of sight up the mtn.

He makes a few calls and gets referred to me. He explains the situation and tell him to give me some time to get everything together and I'll be on my way. Spark knows what were headed to do as she's sitting in her spot in the back seat, whining and looking intently out the windshield.

We get to the hit site around 9:15. The hunter is showing me roughly where the buck was standing as I'm putting her tracking collar on. We cross a fence to get to the last place he seen the buck. The hunter asks me how she knows the difference in a live deer and a dead deer because she just left a different way than he saw the buck go. As I explain how she knows, my Alpha buzzes to let me know she's found him already. I look up the hill and can see this massive main beam sticking off the ground about 80 yards away. I tell the hunter "there's your deer!" and it's all high fives from there.

I love being a small part of these recoveries. I have been on the losing end of not finding a buck you've been after. When you've lost all hope and one of our dogs is the only hope you have left. Seeing the faces of the hunters is what drives us to keep going. Watching our dogs do what they love so much is in there as well. I got to share this track with my favorite tracking partner, my son Easton. He will be quite the tracker when he gains another 100 pounds and doesn't let Spark drag him around like a Budweiser Clydesdale!

Imageupload picture

matt1336
500 Club

Re: A tracking tale

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:11 am

That’s awesome. You’ve made plenty of hunters’ hunts complete...and wow that’s a huge buck!
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:30 am

Nice! Great story! We had a black mouthed Cur from S. Alabama, back in the early 80's. He lived 14 yrs. I miss still him. They are a special breed.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:50 pm

Awesome.

I love to read these stories. Please post more of your recoveries as you have the time.

Thanks,

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Great story. Congrats
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:36 pm

Wow great Buck and cool story.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:22 pm

Love a happy ending, what a buck!
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:33 am

Very cool! Thanks for sharing
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
bowtarist

Unread postby bowtarist » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:13 am

I thought I'd share another story if it's ok. This is from last year and is one of my favorites.

Boy did I go on an adventure this evening. Got a call for a kid that shot a good buck and had lost blood. They found a bed and lost it from there. They were walking back to the truck and happened up on one more drop of blood about 70 yards from the bed. This is where I start tracking from.

It Doesn't take but a few minutes and she's got the deer up and he runs by me. The boy is saying it's not his deer, but this deers front leg is dangling and my dog tracked right to it. He's adamant that's not the deer he shot so I call her off. I have him take me to the bed and I restart from there. Spark takes off in a different direction and I find blood about 80 yards down the trail. She's off on this line now. She tracked it about 300 yards from that bed and I'm following along behind. She ends up baying the buck and I sneak in and finish him off. Apparently a neighbor had shot the first buck that we tracked from that one speck of blood which went thru the hunters bucks blood trail also. Fun track with a good ending. Congrats to the young man.

Imagescreen capture windows

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”