Mausers marsh saga....2018

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
mauser06
500 Club

Mausers marsh saga....2018

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:44 pm

I know I had a bit of a following on the marsh I started scouting in the winter/spring of 2014...

I will post the story later...but here's a teaser.

"Hunt like a wolf!". There ain't many mature bucks being shot opening day on public land an hour and a half before dark....but a cluster of white oaks in the middle of a marsh can make that happen.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Mausers marsh saga....2018

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:52 pm

:dance:

Congrats! Looks like a good one.

Looking forward to the story.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Congrats thats a beauty
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Congrats!! Can’t wait for the story.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:13 pm

That's awesome! Congrats!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Well done. :clap:
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:33 pm

Nice! Can’t wait to hear the story
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Alright !!!
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:42 pm

:dance:
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Congrats
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Finally geot everything taken care of for the night...

Some of you may remember my marsh sagas from the past years...

Winter/spring of 2014 I started scouting this area after watching the original marsh video. Its a pretty good sized public marsh.

After several days I had a grasp on things and located buck bedding in a "bowl". Inside the marsh bowl is a few scattered trees on high ground..all had beds under them.

To the north of the bowl is a long point of land. And on that point I located a few white swamp oaks. Every other year I've found them to be a deer magnet. To the north is the main marsh.

Last night I couldn't decide where to hunt. I've always hunted it on a south or SW wind because my access is from the West. Today...north/northwest...

I was going to stay slightly west of the white oaks but the wind was JUST off from blowing right to the bedding. The bedding is maybe 100yds away from the white oaks. I figured I'd try it...and anything bedding out in the point would be fair game too..I can't scout the actual tip because it's off limits...

I got settled in right around 4pm. Acorns raining down..squirrels everywhere. I felt good about my decision. Wind steady blowing just off the bedding.

I was facing the west...there's more bedding that direction and the white oaks were that direction and to my right.

530 or so I was standing up and realized my quiver was blocking a shot behind me so I moved it....funny how that works out....

6 o'clock I hear something loud behind me. Like a rookie, I jerk to my right and look. I don't see anything. I search the ground for a squirrel and realize there's a buck not 10yds away!!! I see the rack and verify he's legal point wise..

He's calm and not alert at all. I grab my bow and take it off the 3rd hand holder and slowllllly stand up. I peek around to see if he's gunna break right or left...he's pointing to the right...which is gunna be down wind...and he's inching towards where I unpacked my gear. This is gunna be over QUICK.

I get spun around to shoot right. He's nose down eating acor s like they are crack.

I realize he's NOT going to turn broadside. I built my arrow and shoot a single bevel for a reason. I haven't tested the head on a deer...but backyard testing had me confident.

I hit full draw and floated the pin between his shoulder blades.

"Man are you sure??? That's REALLY forcing a shot and there's no excuse for it..it's a buck..let him walk". He turned justtttttt a smidge so I moved the pin just favoring his left side and I sent it.

He was like 4 yards...I watched the arrow blow straight down with no resistance.

He runs off and does an S shaped run...more of a hard trot.

45yds out he stops and stand there and looks at me. Then I watch his legs get weak and he disappeared and I heard the classic crashing.

I gave it 15mins and slowly starting climbing down and breaking down the lone wolf. Half way down I saw him piled up.

You can see where he was standing when I shot...most awkward shot I've ever done..that old busted limb made it interesting.

That's the exit hole.

He's no monster...16" inside 9 point counting the sticker off the base. For a PA public land buck, I'm thrilled. And he's my biggest bow buck....and my first bow buck since 2009 (lots of missed/limited seasons due to work and life..).

Truly beast style. Capitalizing on the situation. Going in after them from day 1.

Next weekend waterfowl season opens and that area is trashed for a while...today was my only day before then. I checked the solar forecast and it lined up for evening movement...I hunted the wind. I have TONS of scouting and hunts in there.... success was a very powerful feeling.

So...to make the story more interesting. I attach my tag and stand up to get my knife out to get him. A hunter is walking my way. What in the world....guy comes up and says he has a stand 50yds to the west. He watched him running then it disappeared and it crashed...then he saw me. Lol. He said his brother and his fiance we're around too. They all came to look.

They ended up helping me drag the entire way to my truck. Which was a brutal 1/2mi or so. Flat..but it's not pleasant. They live on the other side of the wood block and have always hunted there...don't meet nice guys like that every day.

This hunt was huge for me. I've kinda been struggling..a lot of it is second guessing myself..falling back to old spots that are OK but nothing great...I moved..I lost a lot of old ground... I thought for sure this season was gunna be a big struggle.

I put in the time and work to scout. I even showed the brothers their stands marked on my GPS from 2014 lol. I learned a ton from the videos and this forum. I wouldn't have done it without all of the info.

To have a mature buck step out on public land in PA an hour and a half before dark is crazy lol. He felt safe...he's deep in there..people don't bother him...he felt good with that wind to get up early. I can guarantee he came off the tip or out of the bowl.

Very special hunt.

Thanx Dan and everyone else. Seriously... without the videos and the knowledge you guys pass around, I'd NEVER been there. Let alone knowingly setting up within 100yds of known buck bedding.

I've always been a believer that you make your own luck when your hunting. My buddies always said how "lucky" I was...but they don't see behind the scene. The scouting...the shooting...tailoring my gear...the constant studying and trying to learn more...going back and trying to figure a spot out even more...watching the wind and the solar forecast... knowing what food sources are hot any given day. It all adds up to a dead buck.

I'm whooped. I gotta go shower and eat yet. But I'm smiling ear to ear.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm

I like it when a plan comes together. Nice buck and Congrats on the successful hunt and wish you many more.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:52 pm

Congratulations! I like to see home state success.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 am

Congrats! Great buck!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:07 am

Great job mauser! It's a great feeling when your hard work pays off. Nothing feels better than watching a buck go down within sight of your stand. Well done.

Dragging help from strangers is always nice :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”