Beast style with a climber

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMax1978

Beast style with a climber

Unread postby JMax1978 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:00 pm

I am wondering what the successful Beast hunters thoughts are on using a climbing stand? I have a LW and sticks. And thinking of adding a climber for situations where I can get setup with one. Especially all day sits during the rut and rifle season. I believe you can get up the tree pretty quietly in the LW climber. But I have not used one. Any thoughts appreciated.

Dewey

Re: Beast style with a climber

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Being mobile is the key and you can do that with any type of stand. A climber will be fine depending where you hunt but eventually you will find that you are really limited with what trees you can hunt out of. I killed a lot of bucks out of a climber but eventually found out that my LW Alpha or treesaddle combined with sticks is extremely versatile and I can get in just about any tree with them.

I do like the ease of getting up a tree with a climber. Sometimes it's really nice to grab the climber save some weight plus takes less time getting up a tree or packing up after a hunt. I have a LW Hand Climber, Sit & Climb and a Summit Viper. I still use my climbers from time to time depending on the situation especially if I know the exact tree I'm going to. Always good to have plenty of options.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:41 pm

This comes up a lot and the answer is, it depends. In hardwood forests it is a perfectly good option. Not many trees here in PA I can't get a climber in. I'll never sell my summit. In different terrain types as you start looking at marshes and scrub type areas, a hang on gains more advantage getting into more trees.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:01 am

Another thing I never liked about the climbers I used in the past was the interference of the guard rail with my bow. Either I had to lean way forward or just stand up to draw back. So when I was sitting I always felt I wasn't fully ready when the time comes to make it happen. They are pretty comfortable though. Their main drawback imo is lack of versatility with tree options like the others have said.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:04 am

I agree with Dewey, any stand will work, you just need to go where the deer are using.

As for getting up a tree quietly, just take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. I have a LW climber and haven't used it yet - gonna play with it this weekend - 1 week til my hunt.

This year I'm hunting with a buddy on a WMA hunt - he found a deer funnel where there are no trees. Won't tell me where it is other than that is has bucks and does using the trail. He's lamenting the lack of trees (scrub oaks about 8 ft high), I would happily sit on the ground and have a go at it from there - thick cover.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:16 am

I've been looking at some climbers that don't have the guard rail on the top portion. Lone Wolf seems to make some good options, yet they are expensive. What is your guys' experience with the Summit Cobra or Open Shot? Thinking about looking into one of these.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:55 am

Climbers are nice and they work but eventually you will get burned, I wanted to get in a certain tree one night but couldn't do and had to move 40 yards away because there weren't a lot of trees around to begin with. Sure enough a nice ten walks right under the tree I wanted, by the time he got to me he was just out of range and the light was fading fast. I was hunting a hang on and sticks a week later. The only good news is I shot a bigger buck later that week but the lesson sank in real good.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:20 am

I live in Ohio and had used climbers exclusively for years. Ohio has a lot of straight trees and getting my Summit Viper up them is a breeze. With that said I did add a hang on stand to my for those thick areas with few good climbing trees.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:28 am

I think there is no right way or wrong way. Its an individual thing if it works stick with it
Climbers are mobile hunting too. At least in my eyes it is
Dont fix what aint broke.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:34 am

it's definitely possible to be successful with the climber. What I found over the last few years is I'm not quite where I need or want to be more times than not, because of the type of tree you need to climb.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:59 am

I borrowed a friend's climber last year for the entire season. I killed a buck out of it. It was the safest I ever felt climbing a tree. It worked pretty good in big wide open woods, where there were a lot of straighter trees that didn't have limbs low.
The problem I found was hunting transitions, where the trees start getting bushier toward the exposed light. Very hard to find a limbless tree to get up and still have a shot out in to transition areas.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:05 am

Since you're asking about adding a climber to the hang-on and sticks you already have, rather than replacing one with the other, the answer is yes you can be successful with a climber. If you understand it's limitations so that you can pick the situations where you use it, I think it's a good idea. If you were going in looking for a place to setup with the intent of hunting it that day, you'll want to bring the hang-on. As far as getting up a tree quietly in a climber, I feel like my LW hand climber is as quiet a way to get into a tree as I have personally ever been able to do it. I was also able to eventually get extremely quiet with an old steel Summit Viper before I got the LW, it just took a more conscientious effort. I wouldn't replace a stand and sticks with a climber, but if you're able to add one to your , I don't know of a reason why you shouldn't. Just take the time to familiarize yourself with it before you carry it into the woods with you.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:04 am

Oldrank is a killer and uses a climber for a lot of his hunts.

Not saying its easy but it can be done if you want it. Personally I'm very happy with my switch from a climber to my hang on. Yeah its a bit more work setting up but its nice just picking a tree and going. Instead of sitting 70 yards off the spot and hoping you get lucky and one wonders within range.

Again, it can be done. Lots of bucks have been shot from climbers, and a lot will be shot from them. Just whatever floats your boat the best. No right answer for everybody.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:16 am

Depends.
Bow hunting, I’m never lucky enough to find a straight tree in the right spot. It almost never happens. Climbers can be loud as well, so that is another reason I don’t typically choose them. Unless I know the tree I don’t use them.
Gun hunting I’ll use them. As long as I know I can get in quiet.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:34 am

I love my summit and have used it for many years. It suits my style of hunting and the terrain I hunt. I also have lower back issues and sitting in a hang on kills me.

I have read comments about hunting bucks is not comfortable but if I am in pain I move alot and am not focused.

Most of my hunts are planned at work. I carry both my XOP stand with sticks and my summit. 90% of my areas are summit friendly and have been prescouted. Most of the land I hunt is split with trails so access in is easy and quiet. If I am hitting something super thick and nasty the XOP is coming with me.

I have lost count of how many deer I've killed out of my summit...

I understand the guys that love their sticks n stand. I feel the same about my climber. I've used it so many times it just feels like apart of who I am as a hunter. I am also a realist and understand how it is not the best in certain situations. For them I adapt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”