Beast style with a climber

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bobo

Re: Beast style with a climber

Unread postby Bobo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:41 am

I've hunted out of a Summit Bushmaster for many years. I have nothing bad to say about them. I've actually had numerous deer come in when I was going up and going down. It has served it's purpose very well. With that being said, I'm in the process of saving up to get a mobile stand and sticks set up. My climber limits me to much on trees.

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:43 am

most of the time when i am hunting hill country i am using my lone wolf climber. swamp and marsh i mostly use hang on and sticks.
gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:46 am

I've been running a LW assault for years, and ended up buying a climber last year in the spring for similar reasons as yourself. I ended up selling the climber. I always found myself grabbing my assault if I didn't know exactly where I was hunting. way more versatile stand and honestly I can set up my assault just as fast as I could climb the tree with the LW climber. Just my experiences. no need for a climber here.
Ditz

Unread postby Ditz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:36 pm

I use both depending on the situation. I have a LW Hand Climber and it is extremely quiet, and easy to use. It is a nice lightweight compact option to have for hardwoods hill country where straight trees are in abundance.
jacadden

Unread postby jacadden » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:34 am

I have hunted hard out of an older model Summit Viper, there are quite a few drawbacks. The main drawback is the noise you make while setting up the stand while you're on the ground. Also, I have found that if you are walking through denser vegetation, the Summit climber will catch vegetation with the cables. Also, if you are a shorter guy, like myself, the cables hang low enough to the ground that your heel will hit them when you walk. Yes, you can climb the tree quicker, and you are more comfortable in the stand, but the noise it makes it too much of burden.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting" - Col. Whelen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”