Late Morning Hunts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Late Morning Hunts

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:36 am

I think during the rut is a different situation. You always want to be in the stand during mid-day, no matter if you're in before light or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:03 am

Pre-rut morning hunts and hunting trails leading into bedding areas is like PB&J if you ask me. Missed my would-be PB buck on public in this exact same situation one late October. He rolled around at 10:15am headed to a massive perennial bedding area.

Any day in the woods is a good day. Just because it doesn’t work for some guys doesn’t mean it won’t work for you. Give it a try
Trust the Process
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:34 am

tgreeno wrote:I think during the rut is a different situation. You always want to be in the stand during mid-day, no matter if you're in before light or not.

in the vast majority of whitetail states, the rut actually starts in late Sept and runs until Jan.... does are bred anytime they come in great during that time. Embryo studies substantiate this.

The truth is a mature buck can be killed at any hour of the day.... in the right place and circumstances..... our job is to figure out where the right place is and under what circumstance we can get un place to do it.

finally, go look at the kill threads over the years, and how many truly mature bucks are killed in Sept and early Oct. the percentages are low even for the best of the best.... is just a fact of life that bucks move more the closer we get to last week of Oct through month of Nov.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:10 am

During the rut this is something I have been doing a lot more often. I'll sleep in and take the early morning off. Head in around 830-9 and hopefully set up by 10 at the latest. I like doing this in new areas that I don't know exactly where I am headed. This allows me to scout on my way in, and if I do end up in a spot I picked out on a map I can find the right tree to be in that gives me the best shot. Too many times in the past I've gone in during dark and been set up bad or missed sign I would have seen in daylight. It worked for me last year. Was set up at 10:30 and at 1 I shot my buck.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:15 am

FRH wrote:During the rut this is something I have been doing a lot more often. I'll sleep in and take the early morning off. Head in around 830-9 and hopefully set up by 10 at the latest. I like doing this in new areas that I don't know exactly where I am headed. This allows me to scout on my way in, and if I do end up in a spot I picked out on a map I can find the right tree to be in that gives me the best shot. Too many times in the past I've gone in during dark and been set up bad or missed sign I would have seen in daylight. It worked for me last year. Was set up at 10:30 and at 1 I shot my buck.

I do the exact same thing. Seems most mornings during the seek/chase phase the action doesn’t pick up till 9-10 am when bucks start harassing bedded does looking for a hot one. My very early morning sits have generally been pretty slow the first few hours.

I still do dark to dark sits but when burnout starts to set in sleeping in a few more hours is very refreshing. Rarely do I feel like I missed anything the first few hours.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:54 pm

Late October- end of November spend as much time in a tree as possible. This time frame a lot of big bucks die in the midday hours
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:31 pm

I will hunt a buck any time anywhere I have good reason to. Would I dive into a primo set early season with a 9 a.m arrival just for the heck of it? Nope, u only get one first time in.

But I have yet to see a buck get killed from a guy on the couch yet some have come close lol. Nor have I seen a buck get his tail stepped on and just sit there. Any time in the timber u have a chance! Early season late arrival for the sake of just going hunting can still be beneficial. Heck it's hard to go in the woods and not leave out learning something new. This time of year I would personally change my tactics if I was going with the late entry like u mentioned. Probably focus more on escape routes and hope someone leaving out kicks one to me. Or possible deep woods waterholes but that's just me.

Good Luck
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:41 am

I am trying to get a doe for the freezer before hunting harder for a buck. Got out on Saturday morning on a bedding location I had scouted earlier. Stayed in my stand until 10:30am and then figured they must have bedded somewhere else. Figured I would scout out the area a bit more, which I did and then came back to the tree where I had left my stand to pick it up. Wouldn't you know it, there were four does right there that must have come in at 11:15am. Even in the hot temps (80s) they still came in this late to bed down. I still would rather be in my stand before daylight, but it does go to show that deer do move late morning even in the early season. I know bucks may be different than this...
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:06 am

I agree with mid-day hunts when bucks like to harass bedded does looking for a hot one. I always heard from older guys to "hunt 10-2" but they never explained and I never understood why that was ...well, it's because they are chasing/active most of the night, they get a few hours rest and are back on the prowl once the does are bedded down.

I know this hasn't been mentioned (in this thread), and I have NOT observed this with mature bucks, but there is some kind of pull (perhaps moon) that will get does up and active mid-day. In fact, just last week, I noticed more mid-day (11AM-1PM) doe activity from trail cams and in fields whiled driving down the road. So depending on time of year and what you're after, moon could come into play.

Also, if I am going in post daylight, I like to be set and quiet by 9AM to hopefully reduce the risk of getting busted. That's just a weird thing like wearing a rally cap and has no data to back up that specific time. Just a personal 'tick'.

I have sat a LOT of mornings from before daylight to 9AM with ZERO action before it heats up ...so in theory, your strategy makes sense to me, just a lot of pitfalls to avoid. And each situation is different. Time of year, weather, moon, what your target animal is ...and on and on.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:28 pm

in a lot of situations bucks and does dont lay down all day so if you can slip in undetected and setup you never know. but you will need too get in tight. or expect too still hunt and shoot a deer standing up from a bed. another thing you could do is spot and stalk. find a place you can glass over real good locate a deer and move in for the kill.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”