Buck bedding beside roads or trails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bobo

Buck bedding beside roads or trails

Unread postby Bobo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:54 am

I found a bedding area right beside a secluded walking trail. Last year a good buck was using it. I haven't located him this year yet though. But I know where his rub line was leading out of the bedding. My plan was to walk the trail and glass where the rub line was last year. Once it opens up go hunt it. I'm concerned that if I stop long enough to glass, he'll get freaked out and move on. Im pretty sure he can see me from where id hafta stop to glass from the trail. Does any have any experience with how a buck might respond in a situation like that?

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Buck bedding beside roads or trails

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:12 am

To me, it seems like you are trying to glass and or check the previous rub lines from too close. If he can likely see you then he likely knows “you” are up to something. Some bucks may hang tight but I wouldn’t give him any extra reason to re locate
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:13 am

To me, it seems like you are trying to glass and or check the previous rub lines from too close. If he can likely see you then he likely knows “you” are up to something. Some bucks may hang tight but I wouldn’t give him any extra reason to re locate
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:41 am

Bobo wrote:I found a bedding area right beside a secluded walking trail. Last year a good buck was using it. I haven't located him this year yet though. But I know where his rub line was leading out of the bedding. My plan was to walk the trail and glass where the rub line was last year. Once it opens up go hunt it. I'm concerned that if I stop long enough to glass, he'll get freaked out and move on. Im pretty sure he can see me from where id hafta stop to glass from the trail. Does any have any experience with how a buck might respond in a situation like that?

If it’s wind based bedding, glass it on days where the wind would be wrong for him to bed there. I had a creek spot in Ohio last year that I needed to know better. I went in during a heavy rain on the wrong wind and scouted the bedding. I went back 4 days later on the right wind and had my target buck in range but less than 5 min after legal. I didn’t get him but it worked.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:56 am

I would try to be unconventional. Take a different way in and glass from a different spot. Maybe break off the trail out of his scent & sight, and glass from the backside. Try and think outside the box. Or glass as you're walking bye, without stopping.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:20 pm

Cuzzinfish wrote:
Bobo wrote:I found a bedding area right beside a secluded walking trail. Last year a good buck was using it. I haven't located him this year yet though. But I know where his rub line was leading out of the bedding. My plan was to walk the trail and glass where the rub line was last year. Once it opens up go hunt it. I'm concerned that if I stop long enough to glass, he'll get freaked out and move on. Im pretty sure he can see me from where id hafta stop to glass from the trail. Does any have any experience with how a buck might respond in a situation like that?

If it’s wind based bedding, glass it on days where the wind would be wrong for him to bed there. I had a creek spot in Ohio last year that I needed to know better. I went in during a heavy rain on the wrong wind and scouted the bedding. I went back 4 days later on the right wind and had my target buck in range but less than 5 min after legal. I didn’t get him but it worked.

I think this is excellent advice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”