Bachelor Group Bedding Early Season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
JQAiv2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jq.austiniv

Bachelor Group Bedding Early Season?

Unread postby JQAiv2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:09 am

I have a mature buck I've been watching grow for 3 years that I want to try and kill with a bow this year. He is a far above average scoring buck for my area and is coming to the camera with 3 or 4 other bucks. Are these bucks all bedding together in a primary bedding area? Or are they meeting in the evening before going to feed?

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Re: Bachelor Group Bedding Early Season?

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:51 am

I see it every year early season.

Always 3-4 come out together. Morning and or night.
Different groups on the same property.

I thought the same question as you.
I imagine they are all pretty close to each other. Maybe not in a circle but close.
Just my thoughts.
Real or perceived hate cannot be driven away with hate
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:44 pm

They are bedding together somewhere, they could be in a small spot or spread out a little bit but they will have a spot they like.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:04 pm

I agree with headgear.

I had this same question earlier this summer, and a couple of experiences with different bachelor groups told me they were bedded together. In both of those instances, the bucks were bedded really close to food. Best I could tell, they mainly bedded wind to back instead of in a circle, though I suspect a young buck may have been looking upwind... Not 100% sure.

I knew of a third group bedded up in hill country father from the food, but I wasn't able to pin them down. I was am really curious exactly how they were positioned.
Not all those who wander are lost...
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:15 pm

I’ve seen this quite often . They will hang together into mid October at times .
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:31 pm

E72 wrote:I’ve seen this quite often . They will hang together into mid October at times .

Yep I've seen a couple of large bachlor groups in early october, not sure what they are up to but it is sure fun to see.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:40 pm

headgear wrote:
E72 wrote:I’ve seen this quite often . They will hang together into mid October at times .

Yep I've seen a couple of large bachlor groups in early october, not sure what they are up to but it is sure fun to see.

I grew up in PA where it’s legal to spotlight . We would see bachelor groups of some real nice bucks together ...bedded , feeding or sparring in the hay fields at night.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:27 pm

I would definitely say if they are together morning and night then they are bedding close together.
mike1996

Unread postby mike1996 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:33 am

I've been watching 6 bucks come to a field right at dark. We found their beds and they are all in about a 50 yard radius. I figured when they lost their velvet they would split up but they haven't yet.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:53 am

headgear wrote:They are bedding together somewhere, they could be in a small spot or spread out a little bit but they will have a spot they like.

X2 and the biggest buck will have the best bed, the other fill around, but still logical bedding.

This past summer I scouted an area where there were 3 thickets within 100 yards along an Eastern facing Hill. There were 5 or 6 beds in the big thicker area and 2 or 3 in the smaller ones. The biggest buck was in the big thicket overlooking everything, with satellite bedding all around him. Couldn't get near him without spooking the other bucks. A perfect bed in my mind.. well, until he kicks the other bucks out. Rut spot!!
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Been watching 2 different bachelor groups feeding in different areas for nigh on a month now. The largest has gone undergroundbut, the others continue to stay on pattern. All 2 and 3 year olds. I've seen this many times over the years and the pattern typically holds till the 1st or second week of October. The bedding is typically food based in my area and will shift to different areas based on food abundance, rain, and the amount of water in the swamps. :think:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”