Deer Hunting Journals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Deer Hunting Journals

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:59 am

So this year I'm going to commit to keeping a journal of my hunts. My goal is to record as much relevant information as possible in order to improve my future seasons. Outside of the obvious details, what is some of the overlooked information you would keep up with? I might go so far as to make a spreadsheet in order to make it as convenient as possible to complete every day, so if anyone has one they're willing to share that would be awesome, too.

Not all those who wander are lost...
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Re: Deer Hunting Journals

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Moon overhead and underfoot times. Barometric pressure. I also write a short explanation of what I saw, sign found, other hunters where they are parked, etc.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:17 pm

I kept a spreadsheet last year detailing date, location, wind, and a description of the hunt and any observations along the way. It was helpful to be able to go back and recount the details. It's surprising how quickly you can forget the small things. Unfortunately for me, my laptop died and I lost all that info. So whatever you do, back it up!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:37 pm

I would add temperature and weather conditions. I've debated on adding moon phase to mine as well but still skeptical with it, wish I had more concrete evidence to lean me one way or the other. I can look back at my journal and clearly see certain temps and weather trends that get the big bucks moving.
The beauty of a journal is it's yours, dont think by adding something silly it is pointless. I once observed a 140" buck walking a fields edge. He then stopped when a dog started barking. He stood there for a moment then walked in the direction of the barking and rubbed a tree then made a scrape. When I seen this it told me he was used to this dog and wasn't threatened. I moved my stand a day later in a rain storm and connected on him a few days later. He was traveling the same path.
That small observation I had made and recorded was all it took. This was the key to killing that deer. Good luck!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:49 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:I kept a spreadsheet last year detailing date, location, wind, and a description of the hunt and any observations along the way. It was helpful to be able to go back and recount the details. It's surprising how quickly you can forget the small things. Unfortunately for me, my laptop died and I lost all that info. So whatever you do, back it up!

Dang man, that stinks!
Not all those who wander are lost...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:33 pm

I would add personal notes! If buck was seen what was he doing? Where do u suppose he came from and where was he headed? Any details u feel are important write em down and don't assume u will remember.

Also if it was a bad hunt jot down why u feel it was unsuccessful. To hot, bad entry, to early or to late in season etc... Then note how u would change it

As years roll by simple stuff gets forgotten and important details have a tendency to keep repeating themselves IMO.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:18 am

I started keeping a small journal in my pack several years ago. Last year was my first time completing the journal to the end of season, most times I would start and keep it up for a month or so then fall behind. I find it pretty interesting to look back at the journals. I keep the normal time temp wind and barometer. Also started putting the moon phase in last year. I also note deer movements and where other hunting partners I may be with are sitting along with there sighting reports. I use a small waterproof pad. I believe it is called "write in the rain" or something like that got it at runnings can use pencil or their "special" pen and the writing will not bleed or fade when it gets wet.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:31 am

I keep mine in a 3x6 Journal that I get at Staples. It has a pocket in the back an elastic to keep it closed, and a book mark. I use the pocket in the back to keep related pictures and I label the year(s) on the front cover.

For information:

State, date, and hunt time (AM, PM, All Day)

Sunrise, sunset
Moon, zenith (overhead), Nadir (underfoot)

General weather and temps.

Hunt property location and stand location.

Deer sightings and other comments.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ChaseTM
Facebook: Facebook.com/crewsak

Unread postby ChaseTM » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:51 pm

I am noticing a trend of computers crashing, so I might suggest you guys using Google Drive - this way everything is safe on the Cloud. I've been tinkering with building a spreadsheet for a while that collects data; this isn't the finished product, but I'm getting close. I made a copy of my original and stripped out data so you can see what I'm doing and maybe someone can make something better:

Google Drive Deer Spreadsheet
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:08 am

So just following back up here, how many of you stuck to your commitments on keeping that detailed journal? So for those that have what have you learned and what can you now see? I will start off and share a few, these observations apply to every buck I have seen and harvested in the last three years. So tell me something, is this a coincidence or do journals work?
1. Wind speed 10-25 mph
2. Never a full moon or several days before or after
3. Temps 30-40 degrees Fahrenheit
4. (Public) weekdays only during middle of the week
5. On or near major moon phases
bucksnbows

Unread postby bucksnbows » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:29 pm

One over looked thing you guys might want to add.

Deer in range.
I use 40 yards as in range.
Seeing deer is one thing having them in bow range in my opinion is good for at least letting me know I'm in the right tree.

Not always giving me shot opportunities ( that could become another stat) but within range.

I usually at the end of the season compile all the info giving me a percentage of how many deer sightings were in range.
I break that down into does and bucks and shooter bucks.

I do it old school. Note books and pens.
Been doing it for 9 seasons.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 pm

In range = in the truck bed!
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:19 am

may21581 wrote:So just following back up here, how many of you stuck to your commitments on keeping that detailed journal? So for those that have what have you learned and what can you now see? I will start off and share a few, these observations apply to every buck I have seen and harvested in the last three years. So tell me something, is this a coincidence or do journals work?
1. Wind speed 10-25 mph
2. Never a full moon or several days before or after
3. Temps 30-40 degrees Fahrenheit
4. (Public) weekdays only during middle of the week
5. On or near major moon phases

Wanna elaborate this one

Great job on the note taking! I havent done that yet but may have to start.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 am

I like to keep a journal of my scouting trips. It helps to go back and jog your memory about how you read the sign and such. If you rely on your memory to last from, say a February scouting day to a hunt in October it’s easy to forget an important detail. Especially little details about why you chose a certain route to the stand and that sort of thing.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:44 am

Well I do mark up maps and take notes on scouting trips. Just haven't kept track of all the small details in season yet.

Even so i do find trends one being that I see the most mature deer in daylight with a 10-20 mph wind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”