SW Arkansas Bedding areas.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
CaptainBuck
Facebook: Dylan Langlois

SW Arkansas Bedding areas.

Unread postby CaptainBuck » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Hey everyone, New beast member here. Some background, I'm a young hunter (24) but I've been hunting since I was a baby. I've killed "Good" bucks but only 1 mature 8pt that I took in 2016. I was skunked hard last year when it came to mature bucks. Stumbled upon Dan and have been watching/listening to his Youtube probably since around June and want to hunt beast style this year. I have literally all terrain to hunt except farmland. Flat lands with sloughs, Pines, and Hill country with some pretty good elevations. After scouting quite a bit this summer I noticed I'm having a really hard time distinguishing beds (Especially in hill country). Can anyone give some insight on Southern Arkansas terrain and bedding?

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Re: SW Arkansas Bedding areas.

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Where at in SW Arkansas? Mena/waldron area? Further NE?
CaptainBuck

Unread postby CaptainBuck » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Farther down actually, about 45 minutes from Mena. Primarily hunt outside of Dequeen and at a WMA called Pond Creek bottoms outside of Horatio.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:21 am

Welcome - I'm from NE Arkansas. I can tell you, the 'ah ha' for me was driving to dan and seeing it first hand. I stumbled around like a lost puppy prior to spending a day at the workshop.

I know it isn't easy to drive to Wisconsin, but given how much time/effort I put into scouting/hunting, I'd recommend it if you can pull it off next March. Good luck to you and feel free to PM me anytime. Happy to visit!

seven70-seven78-five665
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:49 am

The beds often dont stand out and aren't as worn down as one would expect. I think this is even more evident in the south so dont get your expectations too high in that regard. I also agree attending his workshops will really help if possible
Make It Happen
CaptainBuck

Unread postby CaptainBuck » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:46 am

Thanks for the replies fellas. I really need to get Dans DVD's. I've never taken into account thermals, until now. I've been doing a lot of research and have listened to pretty much all of the podcasts and I've learned so much. I have a lot of ideas of where the beds are based on that info but when I'm scouting my area I can't positively identify them BUT I'm confident in a couple of areas and instead of scouting those areas this late in season I'm gonna stay out and hunt beast style and see how this season turns out. I've exhausted myself with sitting the same preset stands I've been in for years. Again thanks guys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”