First early season buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

First early season buck

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 pm

As some of you know I moved from pa to sc this past spring. My wife works in the medical field and took a job in western sc. My in laws retired to myrtle beach and she wanted to be closer. This left me with little to know time for spring and summer scouting. I put in a pile of time in pa like I always did and will be returning next month to chase the big ones.

So once we got settled in I found the closest public. A national forest with 122k acres! Big big woods to say the least. Pine flats, hardwoods, ridges, swamp, you name it and it’s here. I’ve spent the last 4 months cyber scouting and in June and July put boots on the ground trying to get a grasp on where they bed. It’s so green and thick it was tuff to find primary bedding areas. I have a lot of work to do this winter.

I hunted for the first time Tuesday and passed 2 doe and a decent 90-100 inch 8 pointer. Locals have told me a 100 inch deer is big for SC. I wasn’t sure if i was gunna regret passing him but I’ve shot enough 100 inch deer in pa and knew he wouldn’t make me happy. I was honest happy to see him get up outta a bed at 75 yards and offer me a 17 yard shot.

So today I have a n wind. I knew of a south facing slope from on x with a creek to the south of it. I decided to access using the creek and chest waders to help with sound and scent. I humped in almost a mile wearing waders and I was soaked from sweat! Striped em off and left em by the creek. Pushed to the north about 100 yards and got set up.

At 545 I caught movement to my nw at about 60 yards and he stood up from his bed! He was slowing making his way to the se and I ranged and opening at 41 yards. Once he got into he turned 180 degrees and gave me a quartering away shot. I let the arrow fly and knew the sound of a good hit, could see my fletching were buried.

Gave me 30 mins and got on blood. He headed straight south towards the creek. Found em piled up against a bank dead but he was watching his back trial when he died! Amazing.

I’ve been bed hunting now for the last 6-7 years in pa but this was my first year in SC. The tactics work. They take time, patience, and a lot of hard work. Not to mention some luck! No idea what he scores nor do i care, he’s a great deer let alone for SC. I got 3.5 months left and a pile of tags, I’m just getting started!

Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Re: First early season buck

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:06 pm

8-)

Congrats! Dandy buck!!
RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

Unread postby RuskiBow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Awesome buck! Congrats on the kill.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Congrats, awesome buck!
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Way to get it done in a new state, Great buck!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 pm

I will say scouting my way in and hunting terrain features are some keys on why I killed em. The in season scouting thread really got my thinking. When I’m in doubt il scout my way in and if the sign ain’t there then maybe il just hunt the terrain features since it’s all new areas to me.

Times when I’m scouting in and find that fresh hot sign il possibly set up over it. I stared a journal for sc. Using a journal up north was a big help for different times in the season and trying to remember things. I would highly recommend anyone that’s serious to start a hunting journal. Im only 31 and I cant remember all the crap from the season before.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Beautiful buck. Congrats
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Nice work!!!!! Congrats
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Very nice buck !! You had be struggling in those waders, I know it was HOT !!!!
Ccwalker
Facebook: Pinemartenpossibles

Unread postby Ccwalker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Nice!
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:37 pm

congrats! thats a great buck
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Hooks1 wrote:Very nice buck !! You had be struggling in those waders, I know it was HOT !!!!

I was freaking dying and questioning my sanity. Amazing though how quiet you can be accessing through water compared to walking through the woods.
timberninja

Unread postby timberninja » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Unique rack. Nice deer!
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Awesome! Congrats! :clap:
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”