Crossing creeks/river/water

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Robert501st
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010889027861

Re: Crossing creeks/river/water

Unread postby Robert501st » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Killemquietly wrote:Try the garbage bag trick. Get yourself some of the thick contractor grade and keep a couple in your pack with a couple elastic bungies.. slip em over yer boots wrap em up and cross. If you're not going through briers you'll stay dry. Learned this trick from the cajun hunting master Warren Womack down here in Louisiana. it's the lightest way to go and you get to stay in your comfy footwear for the duration of the hunt, instead of wearing waders all hunt for 10 minutes of creek crossings.

Dang, why didn’t I think of that before? Can use them multiple times so long as they don’t tear.

“Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” -- H. L. Mencken
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:09 am

Robert501st wrote:
Dang, why didn’t I think of that before? Can use them multiple times so long as they don’t tear.

That was my first thought, it was like facepalm. In hot weather like most of our season down here, waders will wear you out.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:42 am

Killemquietly wrote:Try the garbage bag trick. Get yourself some of the thick contractor grade and keep a couple in your pack with a couple elastic bungies.. slip em over yer boots wrap em up and cross. If you're not going through briers you'll stay dry. Learned this trick from the cajun hunting master Warren Womack down here in Louisiana. it's the lightest way to go and you get to stay in your comfy footwear for the duration of the hunt, instead of wearing waders all hunt for 10 minutes of creek crossings.

That's my style right there. Awesome idea that I will plan to use.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:05 am

I use a set of hip boots if I know it’ll be deeper than my knee highs. I have flooded them as well. Garage bag idea is pretty good if you have s known depth and the rest of the area is dry.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:11 am

I have knee boots, Dan's Frog Legs, chest waders, and a sportspal canoe.

I hate sitting in the Frog Legs, but as Dewy mentioned, you can roll them down and snap them into knee boot position. They honestly still make more noise than I like.

Added benefit is walking through high grass covered in dew or briars. They are tough!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:13 am

Agree with others, early season, usually just get wet. Otherwise I'd say 75% of my sits are in cheap Lacrosse hip boots (though not that cheap anymore unfortunately). When necessary I'll also go chest waders, but mine are neoprenes and are a bear to do long walks in. I've honestly risked getting wet and saat cold when it isn't dangerously cold rather than trudging in chest waders plenty of times. I find that all three of regular rubber boots, hip boots, and waders are necessary for my . I'm some level of wet in just about all of my sits until it freezes up.
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:37 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Kcbuckeye22 wrote:In the past I've relied on my rubber boots, which limits me. This year I'm trying to expand my access routes and opportunites by not letting water crossings deter me.

I've looked at chest and hip waders, lost in the sauce on which ones will work without dropping a bunch of coin on them. So what's your setup?

What time of the year are you hunting? I have knee boots, hip boots and waist high waders, but early season say 9/15 to late October I just wade wet with jungle boots. It's nice not having to mess with hip boots etc. I'm good down to the high 40's if I wear a merino underlayer, tend to dry out quickly. Works well for a short afternoon hunt.

All season, but I'm more concerned with mid oct to jan stands. I'm thinking chest waders to be on the safe side, but hip waders might work.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:40 am

I use a cheap pair of hip waders. For early season i keep water shoes in my pack. Once i cross the last of the deep stuff, i drop the waders and use the water shoes for the hunt. There have been times where i used just the water shoes, dropped my drawers, and marched across. Walked a little ways to dry off, then put my clothes back on. That's why i have the water shoes. Water shoes are real nice for sneaking in as long as the terrain isn't too bad. For late season i use just the waders and roll them down when I'm not crossing anything. Works well most of the time.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”