Planning A Scout - Predicting Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brick1083

Planning A Scout - Predicting Bedding

Unread postby Brick1083 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:51 am

I'm looking to make the most of precious little scouting time. Am I correct in thinking that this area has a large number of potential, strategic bedding locations with all the points of timber jutting into the crop land?

I started following the forum almost a year ago. I’m still trying to decide whether to give Beast-Style a try this season or just try to put myself in the best position to get my first archery kill - regardless the size or sex of the deer. I generally hunt the large public wildlife areas around reservoirs. In the past, I've done most of my scouting and hunting in large areas of timber. Now, after a year of following this forum, I'm beginning to look for different types of spots. The area in the screenshot below really grabbed my attention. Am I correct in thinking that this area has a large number of potential, strategic bedding locations with all the points of timber jutting into the crop land? What about the large, tear-drop piece of timbered land sticking out into the lake. Will this provide perfect, oxbow-like bedding location, or simply make a deer feel trapped with only one way in or out?

ImageIMG_4446

Brick1083

Re: Planning A Scout - Predicting Bedding

Unread postby Brick1083 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 pm

I’m not asking anyone to do the scouting for me. I’m just trying to narrow my focus to promising areas before I head out. I won’t be able to scout dozens of square miles of public land surrounding this reservoir.

In past years, before the Beast, I did a lot of scouting in in the large timbered areas. I also focused on some areas which were the farthest away from any parking. I probably averaged seeing one deer per hunt, and typically under two years old. Other hunters, and sign from hunters, was abundant.

Now, I’d like to choose a couple of square miles to go scout. I am hoping for areas that will be less of a draw for other hunters and where I may be able to find some wind-specific bedding in predictable spots. Do you think the area I’ve shown hold some promise or me? Am I likely to find a couple beds if I search all the points I highlighted?
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:57 am

Hopefully some of the more experienced bed hunting guys will chime in, but my two-cents worth is:

If you can, cross off the portions of this property that see the most hunting pressure. That may not be the areas that are farthest away from the road/parking - this area doesn't look all that big so it wouldn't surprise me if at least some guys are pushing in as deep as they can and maybe overlooking spots relatively close to the road.

Do the neighbors hunt? I often notice that hunters avoid getting close to adjoining properties/houses and you may find deer there (looks like two houses or a house and outbuilding to the lower west of this aerial). Could be a honey hole if no one else is hunting that strip of timber next to the houses.

If this area is planted, it's tempting to only look at the beans/corn/etc as food sources. Don't overlook acorns or soft mast if they're available here.

Generally speaking, look for cover + terrain to locate bedding. You'll need to look at a topo for this in addition to your aerial - onX maps, caltopo, and acme mapper are all great resources. The bedding may also occur in the fields - you've got a lot of transition to deal with, so I'd pick spots where those transition lines intersect terrain features that encourage bedding, i.e. topographical points, small rises, etc. Also, from what I've been told on here, as many edges coming together as possible is typically a good thing for deer movement.

Access might be your biggest challenge. If deer are bedding in some of the places you've marked and you're always essentially accessing from the north, they may see/hear you coming. You might need to make big loops into your spots, keeping in mind wind, thermals, and your own cover. That said, sometimes it's not a bad idea to access - to an extent - the same way everyone else does. If you're on a "people trail" you may not initially be perceived as a threat by deer. Get off that trail when they can see/hear/smell you, and they may spook. It's a balancing act. I can walk past deer within 30 feet of me if I'm on a trail, but they freak out if they catch me in the trees.

I would check out the timber closest to the neighboring houses, walking the transition line on the east side to get there, and on the west side to get out. I also like the southernmost spot you have marked, and would check that out along the way. I'd also check out that woodlot to northwest even though it's close to the road. If you're somewhat familiar with the area, I wouldn't scout it this close to season - blind evening hunts may be the ticket so you can scout your way into a setup. Anything you do there now constitutes pressure. And don't overhunt it.

Good luck, hope you nail your first archery deer this season!
NFSJOIN

Unread postby NFSJOIN » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:02 am

Not an expert, but just from looking at the image you provided, the spot I would scout are below.

The circle on the left seems like there are some swampish islands that can have beds that will allow deer to escape easily. The bottom circle seems like a good bedding area at the northern tip for a south wind and the buck looking toward the field. The circle on the right seems like part of the reservoir is running through there and creating nice barriers that the deer can use to their advantage for bedding.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 am

Also not an expert, but my read is the areas you have marked could potentially be early season or doe bedding close to the crop fields, but as soon as any pressure is applied or the crops come out they likely won't be up on the field edges like that. If the spots you have marked are in fact bedding, I think they would likely be really tricky to hunt as well.

Generally beast style hunting shies away from field edge hunting because it doesn't tend to be productive for mature bucks where there is pressure. If you're just after deer, it looks like there is some potential, but I'd be targeting inside corners and areas where the topography would funnel thermals back into the woods/towards the reservoirs, as those are likely to be where deer will come out, but field edge scouting and review of where the crops are getting hit would quickly confirm.

For just seeing and getting on deer. I'd also look at the woodlines that extend north and connect to that to of habitat across the road for rut cruising corridors and general travel corridors, especially once crops start to come down.

For bedding, the spot that really jumps out to me is the drainage on thenorth side that drains to the reservoir. I'd be checking the points and cruising elevations there.

Depending on what exactly they are, all of the field drainages could be potential overlooked buck bedding if the structure is right. If there are any spots with a few trees or brush n those, I'd check them and try and figure out a ground attack. Other than that, get in the thickest wettest stuff and try to decipher any kind of transitions, even subtle, and walk those.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:16 am

Kraftd wrote:Also not an expert, but my read is the areas you have marked could potentially be early season or doe bedding close to the crop fields, but as soon as any pressure is applied or the crops come out they likely won't be up on the field edges like that. If the spots you have marked are in fact bedding, I think they would likely be really tricky to hunt as well.

Generally beast style hunting shies away from field edge hunting because it doesn't tend to be productive for mature bucks where there is pressure. If you're just after deer, it looks like there is some potential, but I'd be targeting inside corners and areas where the topography would funnel thermals back into the woods/towards the reservoirs, as those are likely to be where deer will come out, but field edge scouting and review of where the crops are getting hit would quickly confirm.

For just seeing and getting on deer. I'd also look at the woodlines that extend north and connect to that to of habitat across the road for rut cruising corridors and general travel corridors, especially once crops start to come down.

For bedding, the spot that really jumps out to me is the drainage on thenorth side that drains to the reservoir. I'd be checking the points and cruising elevations there.

Depending on what exactly they are, all of the field drainages could be potential overlooked buck bedding if the structure is right. If there are any spots with a few trees or brush n those, I'd check them and try and figure out a ground attack. Other than that, get in the thickest wettest stuff and try to decipher any kind of transitions, even subtle, and walk those.

Good post

Farm bucks can be tough nuts to crack. Like Kraftd said, setups can be even tougher. I like what you have mapped out for starting points. Also concentrate on crop locations and be sure to keep track of them yearly. If you find woodlots that have ditches in them w corn around them then they setup great for access purposes. Youll likely find lots of beds compared to other terrains and not alwyas be rubs around them so concentrat on length or sizing. You are going out at a good time bc some of these spots will need hunted immediately. Pay attention to wind direction and try to have a cross wind or wind to face as you scout a woodlot so you can get closer to the deer before you bump them and take binos w you bc you be ready to get a glimpse. Last thing is pay close attention to tracks. You can verify large deer are around by checking field edges or ditch crossings. Once you identify bedding locations then you can just check for tracks after to confirm.
Brick1083

Unread postby Brick1083 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:32 am

Thanks for the replies so far. I forgot to mention, this is KS and not one of the parts with hills or bluffs. The topopgraphy is almost nonexistent. The couple of obvious drainages in the photo may be about 5' lower than the rest of the terrain.

As I was looking at this area, I wasn't thinking so much about the fact that I'd be hunting crop edges. I guess I was just looking for the type of location where a buck can use his nose to monitor the woods behind him and his eyes to watch a more open area to the front.

I'm glad you pointed out areas where the thermals will be sinking. Earlier, I noticed a handful of spots around the field edges that appear muddy and I assume are a bit lower than the rest of the field. I'll pay some attention to these. This area I zoomed in on in particular seems to have some lower field edges as well as some potentially wet terrain between the field and water (at least when the aerials were taken). Since I'm trying to avoid the larger tracts of timber that get hit pretty hard, this might be just what I'm looking for.

ImageIMG_4446Z
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:43 am

Brick1083 wrote:Thanks for the replies so far. I forgot to mention, this is KS and not one of the parts with hills or bluffs. The topopgraphy is almost nonexistent. The couple of obvious drainages in the photo may be about 5' lower than the rest of the terrain.

As I was looking at this area, I wasn't thinking so much about the fact that I'd be hunting crop edges. I guess I was just looking for the type of location where a buck can use his nose to monitor the woods behind him and his eyes to watch a more open area to the front.

I'm glad you pointed out areas where the thermals will be sinking. Earlier, I noticed a handful of spots around the field edges that appear muddy and I assume are a bit lower than the rest of the field. I'll pay some attention to these. This area I zoomed in on in particular seems to have some lower field edges as well as some potentially wet terrain between the field and water (at least when the aerials were taken). Since I'm trying to avoid the larger tracts of timber that get hit pretty hard, this might be just what I'm looking for.

ImageIMG_4446Z

A lot of what I hunt is pretty flat too, 5' can mean a lot for a variety of reasons including thermals, bedding cover, differences in vegetation, cover forthe deer to move.

This zoomed in section looks pretty good. The two drainages into the field look to have plenty of cover in them. I'd be kind of surprised if there isn't some bedding going on in those. I'd also walk that transition along the west side of what I presume is woods where it drops off towards the reservoir and see if there are trails heading back towards the water with good sign that can help lead to deeper bedding. It does look like the property may set up well for some observations sits, so that may also be a good place to start.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:12 am

Where's your access? Do you have the ability to come from the reservoir?
Brick1083

Unread postby Brick1083 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:56 am

Unfortunately, my only access is the road. I'm not unaccustomed to walking long distances around areas I don't want to disturb.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”