How would you tackle this???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RCB

How would you tackle this???

Unread postby RCB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 am

I found a willow/marsh bedding area today that has a large lake to the east and two ridges on the back side that come together like a "U". So, the bedding is horseshoe shaped surrounded by ridges. This area is thick and nasty with heavy trails in several locations, mostly on the south and southwest sides.

The ridge to the north and northwest is very dense with hardwoods (Ask, maple, Oak) and thick underbrush. The transition lines on this ridge go straight from willow/marsh to thick brush and hardwoods.

The ridge to the south and southwest is a hickory/maple/oak ridge pretty open on top of the steep ridge. On this ridge appx 1/3 down the ridge there is a heavy rub line. It appears to have very old to brandnew rubs on trees, which wrap all the away around the south ridge. On the backside of this ridge is an ag field that currantly has standing corn in it.There are heavy trails leading from the bedding area to this cornfield. There is also decent acorn crop on top of the ridge, between the bedding and corn.

To me this area had a mixture of Marsh/Hill/and farm to it. I have my theory of how to attack it but I am wondering what kind of plans you would make.

Also I assume the heavy rub line is a travel line on the ridge during rut, I would not think that bucks would be bedding there.

Predominant wind in this area is w/nw.

Thanks

Double Draw

Re: How would you tackle this???

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am

There are a lot of variables I don't know about your situation but assuming the marsh/willows is fairly large I would theorize that a bunch of the better bucks would be bedded there. Hunters in my experience would rather tackle woods or farmland before they dive into wetlands. So I would do an observation sit on the edge of the marsh and be glassing from a considerable height. Try to see where the deer are bedding and their exit trails from the marsh. Then move in. If there is much pressure at all I wouldn't think the mature bucks would show up in corn until after legal hunting hours. Once you have intel, go in on another similar wind to your observation sit placing yourself in a high risk/high reward spot. And see what happens. Make adjustments as the season progresses.

I have a spot that mostly sets up geographically like you have described with rub lines where alders meet hardwood. Most of those rubs this time of year until maybe Oct. 15-20 or so are nocturnal with little buck movement in that area in day. The bucks are below that in the swamp...and I have never seen another hunter in this swamp on public and I am in PA! All the stands are up by the rubs and not really in the swampy stuff.

I hope you have a great season!
RCB

Unread postby RCB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks a lot. We are of similar thinking.
RCB

Unread postby RCB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:00 pm

forgot to mention that the willow marsh bedding area is about 3-4 acres

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”