can the videos be adapted to Fl hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lweingart

can the videos be adapted to Fl hunting?

Unread postby lweingart » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am

I live in Fl and hunt a 6k acre private lease with 20 other guys. Most of us/them run deer feeders all year with minimal success at best. Theres always a bunch of does killed and 5 or 6 small racked bucks but theres a some truly good bucks on this land that have not been killed. Its mostly planted pines with hard woods running threw it and some clear cuts hear and there.

So will any of Dans videos help me in this kind of woods? Its not exactly swamp but there is a good amount of cypress heads and wet hard woods areas. I haven't found any beds buck beds yet but plenty of rub lines and lots of pics. My plan this year is to stick to the transition between pines and hard woods. No feeders this year for me I'm gonna hunt it like is was public land.

Dpierce72
500 Club

Re: can the videos be adapted to Fl hunting?

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 am

I can't say w/certainty, but I always learn from videos/podcasts. It may not be play-by-play, but I think you'll learn something.

I set my standards to learn 1 new thing I can implement from every video I watch or podcast I listen to. My guess is those videos will exceed that standard. But that's just me.

Hope it helps.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 am

Yes...
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:08 am

For sure. I hunt FL public land, but I have hunted leases in the past. I'm pretty sure I own all of Dan's deer hunting Dvds. Some are more applicable in the KY terrain I hunt, but they all have help put pieces together for me. Leases covered in Pines are difficult, but most of the time I have had success on them it has been up against or in the really thick nasty stuff. Before I joined the beast I thought it was because it was bow season and I was willing to get into the nasty stuff as I couldn't shoot that far anyways. Now that I understand how they bed better I realize it's because I was actually in the game and up near the bedding.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:19 pm

Sure the tactics work but you have to relate it to the terrain. The cypress heads create edge, flag ponds create edge. Use that edge to find the deer. What makes things tough is because Florida is so thick it creates a lot of good bedding habitat. Add in relatively low numbers and you have to work for it.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:16 am

I'm trying to learn FL deer hunting and having a time at it.

The videos will help. No we don't have military crests but deer do like points, they need water, thermals still flow downhill at dusk, etc.

You don't need a feeder to use corn as an effective tool - scatter it by hand in areas with big tracks and see what happens. You can get him on trail cam too - see if it is worth your time... Still have to play the wind, plan your access, be as quiet as possible, etc.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:48 am

The ‘edge’ will always apply, regardless of where you are. While I’ve never hunted the Midwest, I have been fortunate to deer hunt the East Coast from NY to GA. Our habitat differs a lot from the Midwest.

You’re going to have to keep what they say in mind, but most importantly learn what the deer are doing where you’re at. Unfortunately Florida deer hunting, in my opinion, is the hardest hunting there is. When I lived in South GA I’d prefer to drive 1-2 hours North than hunt down there.. The bedding seemed to be more sound based and in random clumps within thickets, that you would have to physically grid walk every inch than something you could map-scout then walk in to confirm. A whole lot of things there that want to stick, sting and bite you as well!

I’m not trying to turn you off by any means, it’s just very difficult. Swamps will be easier to find beds on high ground. Focus on transitions between different foliage and the subtle points in elevation as well. You’re going to have to take it slow, those beds aren’t going to jump out at you like a marsh bed.

Hope this helps and good luck down there!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:57 am

Twenty Up wrote:
I’m not trying to turn you off by any means, it’s just very difficult. Swamps will be easier to find beds on high ground. Focus on transitions between different foliage and the subtle points in elevation as well. You’re going to have to take it slow, those beds aren’t going to jump out at you like a marsh bed.

Hope this helps and good luck down there!

I only started hunting FL a few years back. Rarely did I hunt public here.
All my hunting for decades has been MI.
Totally difff beast

I have been a member here I think less than a year.
What I’m seeing is while the terrain is different they(deer) still have the same needs (identifying the bedding has been much trickier however)

A year ago scouting public land I came upon a swamp, that abutted planted pines, some hardwood and palmettos. I looked in the swamp and saw a bunch of deer looking at me. At the time I said why in the world
are they standing in the swamp? I noticed a rise behind them that was dry And had hardwoods on them but thought nothing of it.
Then I joined here and had an aha! moment.

It’s still very tough to find bedding here compared to up north and even when I ride my bike 3 miles into a swamp/woods, hike another mile and find A dry Island with a good food source and animals....I still find man sign. That’s public land anywhere though. It is what it is.

But I’m adapting whatever principles I pick up here on the beast to FL
Last edited by Sailfish_WC on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 am

Double post
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
flgahunter114

Unread postby flgahunter114 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 am

Most of the beds I find were tough to see until I figured out what I was looking for. Yes the dvds have helped me in FL. Walk the edges of your swamp and follow trails or tracks you find and look for the pieces of ground that are cleared out. Sometimes they are hard to tell but look for the shape of the deer or hair in the bed. Now as far as corn goes, you can still use it but as a tool. Look at the direction the big bucks are coming from on your camera and try to find his track. Follow to find bedding and cut him off in between on a first time sit where he is unsuspecting danger. The swamp hunting video will help to show you what you are looking for on your areal photos to get you in the right area to find the beds. Usually where no one else is going on the lease is where your big boys are at
lweingart

Unread postby lweingart » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Ok I think I'll order the swamp DVD. I have his older dvd I think it's called marsh bedding or something like that. I'd really like to see a video on hunting pines but I know it's not what hes used to hunting.

I'll be a lot more active on here now then I've been in the past few years. I'm really wanting to lean how to find buck beds in these pines and hard woods in fl. There has to be something I'm missing. I'm used to hunting in the oak bottoms as that's what I was taught to do about 10 years ago when I started hunting. But I have found way more sign on the edges of the hard woods then I ever find inside them.

Like last year a spent all my time inside this one hard wood bottom and after the season I started scouting the outside edge and found tons of rubs and scrapes. I feel like I've been doing it wrong all along.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”