Campfire Hack

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Campfire Hack

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:05 pm

I came up for this little campfire hack. I use a bag of hardwood pellets I use in my pellet stove. They work great if you have wet wood or are low on wood. One bag will last all night.

I have been using em all summer. For little back yard fires. I had a couple bags that got a little moisture in them last winter and figured I'd burn em. I'm pretty amazed at how well they work. I'm gonna pack a couple bags for my up coming salmon trip.

I had the family and some friends stop by tonight. All my wood was wet from rain. I threw a wet log on there and some pellets... Been going for hours.Image

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Campfire Hack

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks for that. Never thought the pellets would burn in a pile like that.

I've been using the Duraflame campfire logs a bit - It's about $5 at Walmart or such and will last a good couple of hours. You might need 2 if staying up all night drinking, but for a couple of hours and a drink or two, one is plenty.

They work good for cooking over too - if you wait for the flame part to burn off and just use the embers. Cook up a steak real nice.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:19 pm

Nice!

Nothing beats cooking over a wood fire
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:05 am

Still have half a bag left this morning. At about 4 bucks a bag...not bad. I started the fire with a small amount of kindling and I used one log of wet box elder that was maybe 15" wide n 2 ft long. We burned for about 5 hours.

Kept a good bright fire with a great coal base. I really am pretty amazed how good it works.

For us wood is always somewhat of an issue when we camp. The campgrounds charge an arm and a leg for it. It always takes up to much space in the truck. Nobody else ever brings any...lol.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:54 am

That's why I started using the $5 duraflame stuff - easy to carry, 1 or 2 logs lasts the 2 nights in a weekend, and we've taken to cooking over it too.

I'm gonna keep my eye open about the wood pellets - maybe tractor supply has em...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:07 am

Rich M wrote:That's why I started using the $5 duraflame stuff - easy to carry, 1 or 2 logs lasts the 2 nights in a weekend, and we've taken to cooking over it too.

I'm gonna keep my eye open about the wood pellets - maybe tractor supply has em...

That's where I buy mine, TSC. I'm gonna try those dura flame logs. Never used em.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:39 am

Free pallets
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:39 am

oldrank wrote:I'm gonna try those dura flame logs. Never used em.
They'll be in the camping section - each log is split into quarters, down the middle - so you get 4 "little logs". We start with 2 quarter logs and go from there. If we want to stay up later, will add another quarter log or two. They are made out of sawdust & wax I think - down here they will get soft but still burn fine.

I'm gonna see if our local TSC has the wood pellets - we keep a couple of the large popcorn tins from Xmas-time full of charcoal for emergencies (hurricanes and such down here) - if we run out of propane for the grill...
Seems like the pellets might be hotter than charcoal... Does that sound correct?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:48 am

Rich M wrote:
oldrank wrote:I'm gonna try those dura flame logs. Never used em.
They'll be in the camping section - each log is split into quarters, down the middle - so you get 4 "little logs". We start with 2 quarter logs and go from there. If we want to stay up later, will add another quarter log or two. They are made out of sawdust & wax I think - down here they will get soft but still burn fine.

I'm gonna see if our local TSC has the wood pellets - we keep a couple of the large popcorn tins from Xmas-time full of charcoal for emergencies (hurricanes and such down here) - if we run out of propane for the grill...
Seems like the pellets might be hotter than charcoal... Does that sound correct?

The ones I use in my pellet stove are not food grade. I don't know if they use fillers or something when they make them but some of the cheaper grades leave alot of a clay like ash in my pellet stove. They sell a food grade pellet... They are a little more expensive.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:09 am

Good to know - thanks!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks for sharing
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Carry a plumbing style propane torch and use the propane from my lanterns and grill. Couldn’t believe I’d gone this many years without trying that. I’ll add the pellets to my .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”