Effects of pigs on buck bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowmet

Effects of pigs on buck bedding

Unread postby Bowmet » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:43 pm

In the areas I hunt, many of them are overrun with hogs. Based on my personal observation from the stand and on trail cameras, deer in general try to avoid pigs. However, I’m curious to see if anyone has any insight as to whether or not pigs will affect a bucks bedding? As a rule of thumb, I’ve noticed that the pigs will group up and concentrate within a specific area then once the food is depleted, move elsewhere. I’m wondering if the area where pigs are hanging around the most overlaps with a bucks primary bedding, will he abandon that bed? Most buck bedding I focus on is in swamps and pine thickets, which are highly favored by pigs to hang out in during daytime.

Anyone got a perspective on this?

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Effects of pigs on buck bedding

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:42 am

Pigs primarily use their nose for danger (just like deer) and thus they tend to prefer to bed in the same locations as bucks like to bed - thus buck bedding is usually inconsistent as far as daily use in areas where pigs inhabit as they get run out by the pigs.
Bowmet

Unread postby Bowmet » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:41 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Pigs primarily use their nose for danger (just like deer) and thus they tend to prefer to bed in the same locations as bucks like to bed - thus buck bedding is usually inconsistent as far as daily use in areas where pigs inhabit as they get run out by the pigs.

Roger that, thanks!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:34 am

I second Dave’s post, hogs make patterning deer in hog dense areas extremely difficult. Best off killing all the hogs and doing everybody a favor ;)
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:44 am

Where I've been hunting in FL, the hogs and deer seem to be on different schedules and use different areas -for the most part. Hogs like it wetter.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:24 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Pigs primarily use their nose for danger (just like deer) and thus they tend to prefer to bed in the same locations as bucks like to bed - thus buck bedding is usually inconsistent as far as daily use in areas where pigs inhabit as they get run out by the pigs.

Seen a lot of the same as Dave stated here. I have pigs around some of the areas I used to really hunt hard in and when I would see pigs come through it seemed I was wasting time staying there. I remember hunting in a big clear cut and knew where the bucks preferred to bed there. I was set up near the bed and sure enough a big old boar moved in near that bed and laid down. Never saw a deer. Honestly one of the bigger reasons I stopped hunting some of that stuff. Not a fan of the pigs!
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Yes the pigs and deer don’t mingle well. Deer will avoid them but they will use the same bedding areas. The fresher the pig sign would cause me to seek lesser pressured areas. I would take note though that if you ever bump a big old solo boar bedded remember that area. They’re earily similar locations that a big old buck would use. Big old boars have the same living style to a mature buck. Away from the herd and human pressure. Usually not sight advantage beds but thick and secure nonetheless.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:03 am

My experience is the more hogs the less deer. I had a public land area that was deer habitat, my cams let me know the deer was there. Once the hogs started moving in, the deer sightings dropped. I believe the hogs also compete for some of the same food sources, so that comes into play as well. I plan on hunting the same area about 4 sits this year to take deer or hogs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”