Standing corn setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cdewolfe

Standing corn setup?

Unread postby Cdewolfe » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:38 am

I have exclusive hunting rights to the property shown below for next 10 years. Last year it was soybean in the 40 I have access to and corn on all other fields. This year it is the opposite. There are only 3 trees I can hang a stand in. Last year I didn't hunt it much but I was looking back in the trail camera pictures and the bucks were cruising along the trees going south then down the drainage in the afternoon. It also overlooks a marshy acre that is too wet to plant in spring. Do you think they will continue using it with standing corn? Right now it is too thick to see into but after it starts dying can you see down the rows to shoot?

I have other private and public land to hunt if it doesn't work but was just curious what other people's opinions are. I'm new to bowhunting and trying to learn as much as I can.

chase

Re: Standing corn setup?

Unread postby chase » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:10 am

I have hunted a lot of standing corn, and in South Dakota sunflower flower. Many years ago, there was a company in Lacrosse Wis, called Trail Hawk Tree stands. They do not exist anymore, but they were ahead of their time. They simply built a 6 foot, ladder stand, that had a seat on it, and would fold together, and was light. I took it out west and it was a killer for setting up, in corn or high grasses, etc........ Yep I borrowed it to a guy, who was going to copy it, and make one in his shop..... never saw him or the stand again....................

No one makes something like that, I wish they would. So I use a step ladder now....... I shoot sitting down, of course, and have to make sure its solid in the ground, but it works well. It gets me up high enough in the corn, to use the tops for cover, and still get a shot. easy to move for wind reasons....

In SE Wis corn get cut quick, if it is not too wet since its used for feed. Most of the corn here in Sheboygan and Washington County will start to be cut, next month, so it goes quick, but its a good spot on the right edge for early season use

anyway that is how I hunt it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”