"Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
RidgeReaper
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:09 pm
Location: South Central PA
Status: Offline

"Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:11 am

So, I'll be trying a small journal this season to keep track of things and to seek help from you guys. I plan on hunting hard this season like always, but I also plan to scout as much as possible in season. Scouting is going to be my main focus I think, and I will be out there after work as much as I possibly can if all goes well.

As I've talked about on here before..my terrain locally is mostly long ridges around 700-1300ft elevation with hardly any points or ravines visible on maps. [It's tough terrain to learn but once you put some pieces together it can pay off every year. This is my 6th season dedicating myself to hunting this style.The first year or 2 while i floated on the fringes of the site...were a struggle to say the least!] The top 1/3 elevation runs for miles east and west, so finding edge cover along those ridges usually produces better results. I had a great season last year and saw a ton of deer using beast tactics catered to this terrain, but only saw one mature buck within 50yds. Almost sealed the deal but he just wouldn't close the gap. For this area...seeing one mature buck at 130" is very good! Usually I find at least 2 per season so this hunting style works!

I struggle a bit in killing one due to taking my wife out as much as possible throughout the year. It's tough setting up for 2 people every weekend and trying to get 2 bucks every year, let alone 1. Last year we didn't kill any bucks, but that's mainly due to passing up a ton of younger ones. She got spoiled early when she killed her 8pt 2 yrs ago and now has a higher standard than before.

This year her and I were both fotrunate enough to draw 2 doe tags each for our area and thats pretty tough to do in South Central PA! I'm going into this year hoping to stack some doe meat early for both of us! I always pass a ton of doe in bow season and then find myself desperately turning over ever rock in gun season while failing to keep my distance from other hunters. I'll also be heading back to Ohio again this year for a week in early Nov. which I have high hopes for!

Gonna be a very busy season and it will fly by like they always do! I plan to keep this journal updated as frequently as possible. Best of luck to everyone this year! PA is right at our 30day window for the opener! Won't be long now!


User avatar
Rob loper
500 Club
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: "Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:07 am

RidgeReaper wrote:So, I'll be trying a small journal this season to keep track of things and to seek help from you guys. I plan on hunting hard this season like always, but I also plan to scout as much as possible in season. Scouting is going to be my main focus I think, and I will be out there after work as much as I possibly can if all goes well.

As I've talked about on here before..my terrain locally is mostly long ridges around 700-1300ft elevation with hardly any points or ravines visible on maps. [It's tough terrain to learn but once you put some pieces together it can pay off every year. This is my 6th season dedicating myself to hunting this style.The first year or 2 while i floated on the fringes of the site...were a struggle to say the least!] The top 1/3 elevation runs for miles east and west, so finding edge cover along those ridges usually produces better results. I had a great season last year and saw a ton of deer using beast tactics catered to this terrain, but only saw one mature buck within 50yds. Almost sealed the deal but he just wouldn't close the gap. For this area...seeing one mature buck at 130" is very good! Usually I find at least 2 per season so this hunting style works!

I struggle a bit in killing one due to taking my wife out as much as possible throughout the year. It's tough setting up for 2 people every weekend and trying to get 2 bucks every year, let alone 1. Last year we didn't kill any bucks, but that's mainly due to passing up a ton of younger ones. She got spoiled early when she killed her 8pt 2 yrs ago and now has a higher standard than before.

This year her and I were both fotrunate enough to draw 2 doe tags each for our area and thats pretty tough to do in South Central PA! I'm going into this year hoping to stack some doe meat early for both of us! I always pass a ton of doe in bow season and then find myself desperately turning over ever rock in gun season while failing to keep my distance from other hunters. I'll also be heading back to Ohio again this year for a week in early Nov. which I have high hopes for!

Gonna be a very busy season and it will fly by like they always do! I plan to keep this journal updated as frequently as possible. Best of luck to everyone this year! PA is right at our 30day window for the opener! Won't be long now!



Good luck too you and your wife dont sweat it too much just enjoy and take in whats going on around you
It will happen when it happens. I really dont expect much this year but i should get a few sightings at the least so.
Im gonna just go out and soak up everything and anything that happens.
User avatar
RidgeReaper
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:09 pm
Location: South Central PA
Status: Offline

Re: "Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 am

I always very much enjoy my time out there. I work pretty hard to get us deer each year. Last season was the first season in a long time not killing a buck. Bow season is the greatest time of the year all around for me! I absolutely love the weather and the changes in nature. Still get stressed out though because the clock is always ticking!!
bass28
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:10 am
Location: South Central PA
Status: Offline

Re: "Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby bass28 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:50 am

I look forward to following your journal. Being a fellow public land hunter in south central PA I can relate to your terrain and struggles. Good luck this year!
User avatar
RidgeReaper
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:09 pm
Location: South Central PA
Status: Offline

Re: "Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:53 am

bass28 wrote:I look forward to following your journal. Being a fellow public land hunter in south central PA I can relate to your terrain and struggles. Good luck this year!

Happy to see another SC PA guy on here...not too many of us. The buck potential in this area is getting better every year. Seams like the hunting pressure is getting less and less each year too. Hope you do well this year also! Ever need to bounce an idea around get ahold of me.
User avatar
bowfreak8
500 Club
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 am
Status: Offline

Re: "Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:11 am

To me it's just natural to stress a little while hunting. Especially hunting mature bucks. Like you said it's a race against the clock. Now I used to let that stress ruin my season when I was younger but have learned from that.
User avatar
RidgeReaper
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:09 pm
Location: South Central PA
Status: Offline

Re: "Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:39 am

bowfreak8 wrote:To me it's just natural to stress a little while hunting. Especially hunting mature bucks. Like you said it's a race against the clock. Now I used to let that stress ruin my season when I was younger but have learned from that.

Yea I hear that. The stress is healthy for me since it's what drives me to succeed every year. It pushes me deeper into the woods and helps me stay longer.Keeps me focused on the goal all year long. I had a higher goal of taking a 130" buck 2 years ago and I hit 129" with the avatar picture buck on the first hunt haha...that was a big milestone for me! I ultimately strive for a B&C but I am thoroughly enjoying the learning process on my way there.
User avatar
HunterBob
500 Club
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline

Re: "Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:51 am

Nice, good luck! This will be my first season after learning some of the tactics that I think you are referring to. Hoping to put them into practice and at least get myself on more deer this year. Hope you hit your goal as well!
Beastintraining
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:55 am
Location: PA and Southern MD
Status: Offline

Re: "Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby Beastintraining » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:41 am

Goodluck from a SEPA guy. Im in a similar situation as your with hunting long ridges and still learning the lay of the land, though my wife wont hunt with me. Hope you knock a big one down this year.
User avatar
bowfreak8
500 Club
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 am
Status: Offline

Re: "Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:12 am

RidgeReaper wrote:
bowfreak8 wrote:To me it's just natural to stress a little while hunting. Especially hunting mature bucks. Like you said it's a race against the clock. Now I used to let that stress ruin my season when I was younger but have learned from that.

Yea I hear that. The stress is healthy for me since it's what drives me to succeed every year. It pushes me deeper into the woods and helps me stay longer.Keeps me focused on the goal all year long. I had a higher goal of taking a 130" buck 2 years ago and I hit 129" with the avatar picture buck on the first hunt haha...that was a big milestone for me! I ultimately strive for a B&C but I am thoroughly enjoying the learning process on my way there.

I couldn't agree more. Well said :clap:
User avatar
RidgeReaper
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:09 pm
Location: South Central PA
Status: Offline

Re: "Come back with your stand...or on it!" My 2018 Journal

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Went out for the opener on Saturday. Went in blind on an area that I've hunted close to before but never at the exact location. 8 years ago this area was packed with good deer. Not too sure where they've gotten to over the last couple seasons but it seems the numbers are way down. Anyway, took the wife with me. Haven't had much time at all to play around with my stand and sticks this year. Still waiting for my tethered saddle to ship. Really can't believe its still not here but thats kinda why I didn't get the lone wolf out much. It was great to be back in stand! My setup is nearly perfect for me and I love how efficient that thing is! Well, we only jumped one bedded doe about 100yds from the truck. She was bedded about 20yds off the trail road watching the access. We then scaled a brutal, rocky and very steep hillside to the top. I wanted to try access from the backside and then sneak down the leeward side about 100yds and setup. That way my rising thermals would be more on the opposite side of the suspected bedding until I crossed over the top. There was decent sign as far as tracks and poopies but only one small rub that we found. Wind was out of the NW. Left the truck at 1230ish. Got to the tree at around 230. No other deer seen. Not sure how to upload a pic directly anymore but I'll put a link to my map.
https://chroma.tryprism.com/photos/temp ... true&pid=2


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: btsnhos, Google Adsense [Bot] and 12 guests