Acorns dropping

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Acorns dropping

Unread postby krent12 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Acorns are dropping here in western wisconsin since last week. who has some examples or stories they can lay out on how they hunted them. I have spots in hill country with oaks next to bedding and a couple isolated islands with a few oaks on the edges of them that drop off into grass and cattails. which one do you before to hunt on opening night on sept 15?

Ognennyy
500 Club

Re: Acorns dropping

Unread postby Ognennyy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:18 pm

I'm in upstate NY but I think our climates are fairly similar, if not the terrain. Usually the red and white oaks are starting to drop here by now, but I haven't confirmed yet this year. Thanks for this reminder. I'll have to go check a few out sometime this week after work.

There is a nice grove of white oaks in a marshy bottom out back in the woods about 300 yards behind my apartment building. I will get out there for a hunt ASAP when the season opens here (not until October 1st). I'm a bit concerned though because the primary mast producers up in the mountains where I hunt are not producing right now it seems like. It's mostly beech trees up there. I went up on Sunday to have a look around and not only do I not see any beech nuts littering the forest floor, I don't see any on the trees either.

Are your trees there loaded with nuts?
weekender21

Unread postby weekender21 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:55 pm

I haven't been able to check my oaks in NC yet this year but opening day is only 12 days away! The best scenarios for hunting oaks are the times when you have only a few trees dropping. If you have a lot of oaks around on a heavy mast year hunting can be pretty tough. The thought of acorns hitting the ground is getting my fired up already!
CrazyBaldArcher

Unread postby CrazyBaldArcher » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:42 am

There's a oak next to the parking lot of my work and I noticed this morning it's drop acorns.

So, SW Mo has acorns dropping
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:10 am

Oaks have been dropping since early August near my bear baits
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:28 am

Seen a few green acorns on the ground last week in se Michigan. Looks like the Turkeys were hitting them.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 am

My buddies bear baits (baiting on our property) are barely being touched yet (which is highly unusual), meanwhile the dropped acorns are everywhere, even laying on top of the bear bait. :o
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:37 am

Been dropping since early August here in ny. They should start getting hammered soon
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:56 am

tbunao wrote:Been dropping since early August here in ny. They should start getting hammered soon

Oaks or Beeches?
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:43 am

Ognennyy wrote:
tbunao wrote:Been dropping since early August here in ny. They should start getting hammered soon

Oaks or Beeches?

Oaks bud. I thought at first the ones I saw on the ground were from a storm but after spending some time in the area the rain fall of acorns continued throughout my time on that no wind day. It’s not uncommon, I have some noted form last year during the first week of August as well.

Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 am

tbunao wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:

Oaks or Beeches?

Oaks bud. I thought at first the ones I saw on the ground were from a storm but after spending some time in the area the rain fall of acorns continued throughout my time on that no wind day. It’s not uncommon, I have some noted form last year during the first week of August as well.

I see red oaks drop here (Albany) in early August as well. I haven't observed whites enough to make a call on that.

Have you observed any beech this year? I prepped two sets up in deep Adirondack territory specifically for isolated beeches in close proximity to the locations. But as I've been scouting around 100-200 yards from my sets recently, I'm not even seeing nuts growing on the trees, let alone dropping.

Have any thoughts regarding central NY beech this year?
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:59 am

CrazyBaldArcher wrote:There's a oak next to the parking lot of my work and I noticed this morning it's drop acorns.

I didnt see any last friday when I was out check out areas in South Central, MO. However, the drought has taken a toll and there isnt many on the trees on the hills.
CrazyBaldArcher

Unread postby CrazyBaldArcher » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 am

Kcbuckeye22 wrote:
CrazyBaldArcher wrote:There's a oak next to the parking lot of my work and I noticed this morning it's drop acorns.

I didnt see any last friday when I was out check out areas in South Central, MO. However, the drought has taken a toll and there isnt many on the trees on the hills.

Last weekend I went scouting in big timber and didn't see any on the ground but the squirrels were running crazy
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:50 am

BigHunt wrote:Oaks have been dropping since early August near my bear baits

would you be hunting a thick lee side bedding area with oaks in it in the hills or a island is a marsh with a couple oaks on it but im not sure if they are any acorns because it is about a mile back?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:09 pm

krent12 wrote:
BigHunt wrote:Oaks have been dropping since early August near my bear baits

would you be hunting a thick lee side bedding area with oaks in it in the hills or a island is a marsh with a couple oaks on it but im not sure if they are any acorns because it is about a mile back?

Oh for sure... alot of times i find bucks will only use cirtin cattail islands only on the years the acorn's are plentiful

Hills can be tricky... its extremely hard to get within 150-200 yards from a bedded deer.. and if the deer have a dropping oak right under them or within 50 yards then what do you do!?!?! The trick is, log the area if possible and take out all those oaks right at the bedding so they dont hold up out of range
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”