Acorns dropping

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Acorns dropping

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:36 pm

Oaks don't start dropping heavy here till the first week of October. Seems like deer here stay in the soy beans and corn till early October.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
flgahunter114

Unread postby flgahunter114 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm

Down south here in Florida we don't usually haver acorns dropping until mid September or so. Water oaks and laurels are usually first, and most are bearing. The white oaks are very small ar this time. Try to find the trees with the most sign under them, and if you know where the bedding is, cut them off on their way to it. We use the same tactic with corn piles or whatever other feed source you can find the deer are hitting. Good luck
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:18 pm

They are dropping in central, and north central Minnesota. My scouting trips last weekend confirmed. Not dropping heavy, but some are on the ground in the new clear cuts.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:18 pm

Ognennyy wrote:
tbunao wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:
tbunao wrote:Been dropping since early August here in ny. They should start getting hammered soon

Oaks or Beeches?

Oaks bud. I thought at first the ones I saw on the ground were from a storm but after spending some time in the area the rain fall of acorns continued throughout my time on that no wind day. It’s not uncommon, I have some noted form last year during the first week of August as well.

I see red oaks drop here (Albany) in early August as well. I haven't observed whites enough to make a call on that.

Have you observed any beech this year? I prepped two sets up in deep Adirondack territory specifically for isolated beeches in close proximity to the locations. But as I've been scouting around 100-200 yards from my sets recently, I'm not even seeing nuts growing on the trees, let alone dropping.

Have any thoughts regarding central NY beech this year?

All my focus is in one particular area this year that doesn’t hold any beech that I’ve come across the past few years. So I can’t tell you for sure.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:52 pm

In my area, burr oaks are always first to drop and all of the acorns will be gone by hunting season. The white oaks in my yard are loaded this year and haven't started dropping yet.
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:38 am

I noticed the first acorns (white oaks) on the ground today in Central Pennsylvania.
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:59 am

None here in Louisiana yet but I have found a few pecans dropping.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:01 am

The red oaks outside my office in Albany NY have fully mature acorns but haven't started dropping yet. This is a departure from last year when they began dropping early / mid August. Also, I think maybe I've mis-IDd these trees.

The specific trees I'm looking at dropped acorns last year. It's my understanding that the red / black oak family only drops every other season. These trees have the sharper edges to them, not like white oaks. And the bark doesn't look like a white oak either.

Are there any situations where red / black oaks can drop every single year? I'm not sure what's going on, but they definitely dropped acorns last year and are certainly about to drop again sometime soon.

Sorry, I realize that question is a bit of a thread hijack.
kingfish
Facebook: Larry Wales

Unread postby kingfish » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:41 am

Both Red & White Oaks are holding here in SE Virginia. Should start dropping real soon.
Mlehto

Unread postby Mlehto » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 am

Lots of white oak acorns on the ground in Colchester Ontario on North shore of Lake Erie 20 miles East of Detroit.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:16 am

I have a white oak by my house. Looks like a burr and white hybrid. It was loaded this year. Checked this morning and every acorn is already on the ground. Earliest I’ve seen that here. Usually that treee holds till mid to late September
flgahunter114

Unread postby flgahunter114 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:07 am

Ognennyy wrote:The red oaks outside my office in Albany NY have fully mature acorns but haven't started dropping yet. This is a departure from last year when they began dropping early / mid August. Also, I think maybe I've mis-IDd these trees.

The specific trees I'm looking at dropped acorns last year. It's my understanding that the red / black oak family only drops every other season. These trees have the sharper edges to them, not like white oaks. And the bark doesn't look like a white oak either.

Are there any situations where red / black oaks can drop every single year? I'm not sure what's going on, but they definitely dropped acorns last year and are certainly about to drop again sometime soon.

Sorry, I realize that question is a bit of a thread hijack.

Usually the sharper edge leaves are red oak, and I have water oaks that drop every year.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:56 am

How do you guys usually check if the oaks are dropping and not mess up your areas so close to season opener?
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:50 am

Jeff25 wrote:How do you guys usually check if the oaks are dropping and not mess up your areas so close to season opener?

great question i just got out of the woods and found a couple killer oak trees next to a bedding area. tracks and sign all over. I went when it was a light rain and now its pouring so hopefully i didnt mess it up too bad.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Jeff25 wrote:How do you guys usually check if the oaks are dropping and not mess up your areas so close to season opener?

If it’s a bumper year you’ll know as soon as you walk in the woods. If not, it’s part of scouting your way in. In central KY this weekend whites and reds were dropping everywhere. First time I had hunted there, but did scout it once in the spring. The only spots worth hunting were close to the thick cover. There’s sign around most trees but those open ridges aren’t getting hit until after dark. Hard to tell in the spring what the cover is. Saving the more open hill country spots for the rut.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”