How long before he comes back?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nor' easter

How long before he comes back?

Unread postby nor' easter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:59 am

Long story short, a spring time injury didn't allow me to scout. I went out this morning to speed scout and bumped a buck out of a bulletproof wind based bed. I was so close that I ended up right in his bed. I followed his exit trail, picked a kill tree, and figured out access. Early season starts in 2 weeks, but I know he beds this area on and off throughout the year. This is an overlooked spot in highly pressured public. Doe activity wont allow me to sit observation. My questions are:
1- will he come back and how soon?
2- If he is blown out will another buck bed there once my scent dissipates?

Thanks in advance

nor' easter

Re: How long before he comes back?

Unread postby nor' easter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 am

Forgot to mention that this is an urban area that is supposed to be developed into house lots this spring. This season will be the last hunt able season.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:57 am

It depends on the buck. I dont think there is a given time, but more so to do with how he was spooked and his nature

Two weeks maybe soon, but maybe not
Id hunt him first day of season with a correct wind. Maybe throw a couple consecutive sits on him. If he doesnt show, move on and give him a few more weeks

Best of luck, those urban deer tend to tolerate more than others
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:23 am

backstraps wrote:It depends on the buck. I dont think there is a given time, but more so to do with how he was spooked and his nature

Two weeks maybe soon, but maybe not
Id hunt him first day of season with a correct wind. Maybe throw a couple consecutive sits on him. If he doesnt show, move on and give him a few more weeks

Best of luck, those urban deer tend to tolerate more than others

Exactly what I would do.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:53 am

He is probably back in the bed right now or will be tomorrow. My experience with especially the more mature bucks is bump them once and they will be right back. Bump them twice, especially within a short time frame, and they will be gone for good.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:51 am

I would agree. He bedded there to stay safe and avoid danger. You are the danger, he avoided you, and he is safe. His plan worked, he should be back there.

With that in mind, look at it this way.. now you KNOW he is using that bed. Go in with confidence!

If he doesn’t show I’d give it awhile and hit other spots and circle back to it later in the season.
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:58 am

I'm going to plan on throwing a sit at that area early season and again in mid to later October. There's always a cluster of rubs that pop up 250 yards down the exit trail from this bedding about mid way through october. A guy put flagging ribbon on every rub tree last season and set up a metal folding chair in 20 yards upwind of them, so there's a pretty good chance a buck won't make it too far in daylight I'd imagine.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Sometimes they'll come back the following day. Sometimes a couple weeks. Only one way to find out!

Come season, first good wind, I'd be in there. Check the sign on the way in/out. If it looks good, maybe give him another try on the next good wind. Then maybe let sit until Oct.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”