Keep this in mind this season...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Keep this in mind this season...

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Whether you hang too far back from bedding, or push too close... the end result will be the same:

You go home empty handed. :think:

If you don't push close enough, you'll likely not see your target or at best you might see him but he'll be out of range. At that point even if you get out of there without spooking him he'll probably smell you were there. The biggest thing that bothers me about playing it too safe and not seeing anything is you have to sit and wonder. Was he there? Would I have found more buck sign if I went another 50-75 yards?

If you push too far, USUALLY that means you bust him out of his bed(ding area). You might get verification that you were oh so close to success and lay eyes on him. Of course there's a chance he sneaks out without you knowing (I think this happens more often than we might think).

There's a difference between aggressive and reckless. Don't be afraid to get aggressive when the conditions allow it.

tbunao
500 Club

Re: Keep this in mind this season...

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:06 pm

It’s the only way to learn is by failure. It’s just a deer and life will go on. Creep in there you rascals! Channel your inner ninja!

LD can vouch for my obsession over a particular deer that I will be pursuing. Right now I’m working on back up plans but if opening day in the right wind (or as soon as I get that wind) my only shot is a tree 36 yards away. Guaranteed it will be an adrenaline rush from the creep in to the setup... and if he’s there then we are looking at one intense sit! If I bust him out yes I’ll be disappointed but at least I tried. I’m tired of being a big buck observer! :snooty: That’s where the homework, scouting and being able to reason comes into play. What’s his next move??? I have an idea... if it gets to that point. Can’t wait!! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”